What's new

Anyone try/have the Ionic Breeze Air Purifier from The Sharper Image? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I saw the comercial for this the other day while watching TV and was wondering if it really makes a big difference in your home? What are your opinions on this thing?

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
No, it does not because after a couple of months I stopped cleaning them, and eventually turned them off. Cleaning them takes a little longer than the commercials say, and you usually need to rub them with alcohol to get any of the gunk off. It's not difficult to do, but for me fell into the "pain in the *ss" category, and eventually got ignored.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I use mine in the winter when I have my windows closed up. I helps me with my breathing at night and my room doesn't have the "funk" it used to when I turn it on. I got mine on Ebay for around $130. It's the same one that you see on TV except the box had some damage. I have had it over a year now. I clean it about every 10 days or so.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
From Consumer Reports:

"The other electronic-precipitator model, the Sharper Image SI637 Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier, proved unimpressive in our tests. Ads for this unit tout its silence and miserly power consumption. Both are attributable to its lack of a fan. But so is its disappointing performance; we found almost no measurable reduction in airborne particles."

Sharper Image SI637 Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier:

Score: Very Poor (dead last out of the 15 or so air cleaners reviewed)

Dust High Speed: Poor
Dust Low Speed: Poor
Smoke High Speed: Poor
Smoke Low Speed: Poor
Noise High Speed: Excellent
Noise Low Speed: Excellent
Ease of Use: Good

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
No furnace, I live in California, 1 bedroom apartment. Only a window installed AC. No heater. The only two windows in the place are on the same outer wall, one in the bedroom and one in the living room so air circulation isn't good at all. I was just thinking of ways to get fresh air in the place and get the air free of dust and junk.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have 2 that I got from AMEX rewards so they were free, in a way. They seem to work OK for me but both are in rooms that have ceiling fans that are run faily regularly so they get air movement. I can see that if not, the lack of a fan could be a problem. I have not had any real problems cleaning them but it is not quite as easy as the commercial makes it out to be, that's for sure. I have 2 dogs that kick up dust and there sure seems to be less dust build up week to week. I also use the purple Filtrete 1500 filters on my AC / Furnace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks