What's new

Anyone own a Kenwood Sovereign 5700? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Guth

Agent
If so, please share your thoughts/opinions on this unit. It's on my short-short list and I need to make a final decision by this Saturday.

Thanks!

p.s.-the concept of a 5-disc changer does not bother me, although I can't say that was a major point on my DVD player checklist.

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I do...

The good news:

Very nice player. Picture quality is superb on my Hitachi 43". Cleary better than any DVD player that I've previously had here. DVD-Audio is quite good as well. Build quality seems pretty good, much much better than the JVC (I forget the model) that it replaced.

The bad news:

CD playback is average at best. The time between tracks when using "random" play is quite long. 15 to 20 seconds is typical although it seems better now than when I first got it. Maybe the transport is finally breaking in. There is no provision for random play on MP3 CD-R's. That doesn't bother me as I don't us them. The remote is a bit on the kludgy side. All of the buttons have 2 or 3 functions (color coded) and there's a switch on the side that determines what button is currently doing what. Impossible to use in the dark. Again... Doesn't really effect me as I programmed my Pronto with all of the functions and put the Kenwood remote in the drawer. Layer changes can take longer than they should on "some" DVD's. I haven't found what the pattern is yet. Most discs change just fine.

Just as a point of reference... In the last 2 years I've had a Pioneer DV-37, a Panasonic RP-91, The JVC changer (took it back in less than a week), a Sony 300 disc DVD changer, a Sony single disc non-progressive (bottom of the line from Wally-World) and finally the Kenwood.

All in all I'd recommend the 5700. I bought it primarily for the 5-disc changer to play music so I didn't have to have another CD player in the cabinet. I've been disappointed with that aspect of the 5700. BUT... If your main desire is good video you'll be hard pressed to find a player with better picture quality. Just keep in mind the other minor (and they really are minor) issues with some of the other functions.

Of course the whole music on CD thing has become moot here. I just finished ripping all of my CD collection down to MP3's and bought an AudioTron. In the 2+ weeks I've had the AudioTron I haven't touched a CD.

As soon as I see som feedback on the newer "universal" players from Yamaha and Onkyo I'll be selling my 5700 and getting a player that'll do SACD as well as DVD-A. Probably the Yamaha... I only hope that the PQ is as good. If not I'll truly miss the Kenwood.

Oh Yea... If you have any specific questions don't hesitate.

P.S. Wanna a killer deal on a slightly used, WELL cared for Kenwood 5700 ???

Bryan Guth

Agent
Jeff,
Thanks for the great, thorough feedback. I am glad you had such good things to say about the PQ, as that is what I have aiming to "perfect", at least as best I can given my budget. I will more than likely purchase this player this weekend, as the dealer I have been working with is willing to match the lowest price on this unit. As much as I appreciate your offer, I admit to being a "new in the box" A/V snob...yet with as many positives as this unit has for the videophile, I'm sure you'll have little trouble selling it to someone who doesn't have this idiosyncracy! If possible, can you list me a few DVD titles (or specific scenes) that you feel really show off this player's best attributes? I have thus far watchted several scenes from "Fifth Element" (Superbit) and need a few more reference discs to test. I have some other titles in mind, but I would love to hear what you think based on your experience with this unit. And if you do try the Integra unit, be sure to post your thoughts!

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to think on that for a bit. There have been so many scenes that were just outstanding.
What comes to mind first is the disk that you've already mentioned (Fifth Element - SuperBit). After that... The Patriot (SuperBit) has som outstanding scenes, especially the battle scene at the very end. Shrek looked very good. Look for any scene with a closeup and check out the texture details in Shrek's skin. Heck... look at just about any texture in the movie. HMMM... what else??? If you're into "long shot" scenery take a look at Chocolat and Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Both with stunning scenery. Oh Yea... Speaking of scenery... Last of the Dogmen! It don't get no better. I don't recall where it was actually shot (Canada I think) but it's supposed to be the Oxbow area of the Rockies. Either way it's just beautiful. Oh... Another "scenery" flick... A River Runs Through It. Shot on the Gallatin river in Montana. I've been white water rafting on that river and can tell you first hand how good the visuals in that movie are.
I'll think of some more. You've now made me want to go back through my collection (pretty meager at a bit over 100) and pick out the "reference" scenes. I'm not sure whether to thank you or not...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.