Yamaha DVD-CX1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Ballew, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Was able to pick up on close-out (Yes- close-out, I thought this player had only been out for a few months, now) a Yamaha DVD-CX1 for $899. I thought it was cool that my receipt rang up "flagship" DVD player. I have never owned a "flagship" product, so to speak, so that was cool. [​IMG]
    I had not heard a lot about this player, so I would not have bought it had the price not been so attractive. (The original list was $1,299, I believe.) But it is fairly loaded as far as I am concerned
    Sage/Faroudja de-interlacer
    DVD-audio
    Burr-Brown DAC's
    5 disc changer
    12 bit video DAC
    no Chroma Bug
    Another thing I like about it is its heft. When I picked the box up to leave the store I could not believe I was carrying a DVD player! It weighs 23 pounds, with most of that weight biased towards the power supply.
    When I asked the salesman if this was a clone like the 1200 (RP-91) sitting next to it, he told me that the CX1 was all original Yamaha technology. I cannot verify this, but I do wonder if this is a clone of the Kenwood Sovereign 5700 with similar specs. Anyone have any inside info?
    The unit after just a few hours of testing does have exceptional video quality, and has to my ears excellent DVD-audio quality, especially when compared to my only reference point- my old JVC player. Redbook CD was good, but I still felt sounded better using the DAC's in my Rotel RSP-1066. Its also very smooth, especially for a changer. Not clunky at all.
    Just some random, scattered thoughts on this unit. I wish there was more info out there on it- reviews, etc. Let me know about your experience with this player.
    Cheers
    Andrew B.

2. Andrew_Ballew

TTT....

3. Andrew_Ballew

Nobody else has this player? One last bump....

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, Yamaha DVD players don't get a lot of talk here. I am not overly familiar with their players, so I thought the 'CX1 was new as well. I just read up about it on Yamaha's web site, and it looks like a lot of player. It appears to be built much better than the Yamaha DVD-S1200 single-disc model. According to Yamaha's web site, the 'CX1 weighs 23 lbs., while the 'S1200 weighs just 7.7 lbs.

5. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

Just picked mine up for $799 on sale for Labor Day!! Still in the box. I don't have an HDTV, do you think it'll make a difference over my Toshiba DVD Player?

6. David_R

David_R Extra

799$? Where at?

I wanted this player but was a bit high and wasnt sure if its being repalced soon? Anyone know?

I opted to get a JVC 900B until I can finalize my highend player.

7. AndrewW

It was a one day sale at a local B&M store. It's now at $1299. I think I did OK[​IMG] It is a better picture...can't believe it either..didn't think it'd get better....it did!

8. David_R

David_R Extra

Does it play DVD-R/SVCD/VCD ?

9. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know the same info...or what about the c920/6480? Do they have the chroma bug?

10. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

1. It does not have the Chroma Bug
    2. It does play DVD-R and DVD+R

11. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

The cx-1 or c920 does not have the chroma bug? or both...thanks again.

-dan

12. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

the CX-1. I don't know about the 920. Honestly though, why Yamaha? All Yamaha DVD players are OEM anyways, either from Philips or Panasonic. Most of them are full re-badge. Only the CX-1 audio circuitry is pure Yamaha. However, who's listening 2-ch out anyways? Besides, Yamaha has an extremely poor firmware history when it comes to their partial-OEM series (worst case scenario so far: DVD-C900, it requires constant firmware upgrades to play many DVDs, five official upgrades so far)

Don't get me wrong, the CX-1 is one phenomenal player, but you can get phenomenal players for less.

13. AndrewW

FWIW-still lovin' my CX-1 for 3 or so months now. No problems playing anything yet....except for WMA files; no biggie though. I'm anticipating a few DVD-A titles for Chrismas, so I'll be able to try out that feature soon.

14. AndrewW

Also, I'm more than willing to pay a few extra $$ to have all my equipment the same brand...same looks etc. I've always had great luck w/ Yammie