Anyone heard Metallica on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by MikeSHU, Oct 1, 2004.

1. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

I heard they re-release the black album on DV D_a how does it sound compared to the original.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

A lot of users like it for the improved low end slam, and while I would agree that it does have a pretty decent level of bass, overall I didn't care for it at all.

I always thought the highs (cymbals in particular) on the CD sounded extremely harsh. And the DVD-A does nothing to change that.

In fact, of the >50 or so DVD-A's and SACD's I own, this is the only one that I sold after about 2 listens.

Note that my comments pertain to the MC mix. I don't recall is there is a DVD-A 2CH mix, but if so, I never listened to it.

YMMV, or course.

3. AricB

AricB Second Unit

The upper end is kind of harsh, but the surround mix is ok and the low end is solid. I havent sold mine, but i haven't listened to it in a couple years either. IMO, the Megadeath Peace Sells disc is much better sounding for the type of material and age.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I've always felt the DVDA release of "The Black Album" blows away the CD version.

One of the first titles I bought on DVDA that sold the format for me. The other was ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery".