What's new

Anyone have tested a DIY sonosub agains SVS or HSU? (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I wonder because I can make at least two good sonosubs for the cost of only one SVS for example. True, not everybody will have the patience or the interest to build its own subwoofer, this is why SVS or HSU will survive even when one can make a similar product. But what I really wonder is if there are important difference in sound quality/quantity when one goes the DIY path.

Thanks!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I really can't say this as gospel truth since I have not heard either of the subs in question but both companies must have some kind of markup in order to be making money. So I would wager that someone could build (has built) a sub just as good or maybe better. But as you said not everyone can or even wants to build their own.
That being said though, the proprietary sub enclosures that SVS uses as well as those nice drivers could very well make them better. Like I said, I haven't heard them. One day I'll give a listen. There are many people around me that have them, I just haven't gotten out of the house to visit them...yet. :)
Dan Hine

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess that using a tempest in a decent sized box/tube should best a SVS fairly easily...but its going to be a larger box then an SVS. A blueprint driver will go into a smaller box but you'll need some EQ to get it flat which bumps up the price etc. As far as sound quality goes thats mainly a function of the alignment of the sub...assuming of course its built well and there's no ratteling parts:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks