What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone gone mirrorless? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd love a 500mm prime lens, but it's not in the budget. Just think how great that baby would be for shooting eagles at Conowingo Dam, Sam!

Well if I could sell the 80-400 for more than $1500 that would bring the price of the 500 prime to about $2k. Will have to see what used prices look like. I'd be at conowingo 8 days a week if I had a prime like that =)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's a bummer. Can't see myself spending the $$$ based on that (and other similar remarks elsewhere). Sounds like they'll at least need some serious improvements on the firmware. Ah well, maybe I'll go for their lineup sequel 2-3 years from now (when there will also be more native Z lenses)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nikon is making a huge mistake doing these major events with pre-production cameras. Back when I worked for a major manufacturer, I found pre-production cameras were sometimes virtually non-functional, and that was with far less complicated cameras, that weren't from an entirely new line. Go ahead and let people look at them, but certainly don't expect top performance. They might also be making a mistake by claiming focus equal to the D850 (or D500) because I can attest to the fact my D500 AF is amazing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It took Canon some time to figure out mirrorless in the APS-C sensor arena, too, so it's not surprising that Nikon's first venture has some issues. The Canon M50 I recently purchased is miles ahead of the original EOS M body, which I still own. Call it growing pains.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nikon is making a huge mistake doing these major events with pre-production cameras. Back when I worked for a major manufacturer, I found pre-production cameras were sometimes virtually non-functional, and that was with far less complicated cameras, that weren't from an entirely new line. Go ahead and let people look at them, but certainly don't expect top performance.

Honestly, I doubt the final production cameras will be all that much better than these so-called pre-production ones, especially given how Nikon operates. One can hope though... but I'm guessing not likely... although that youtube preview compared them to Sony's 2nd gen models from a couple years ago, which isn't exactly bad on its own, just not quite competitive w/ Sony's current latest offering, which is probably to be expected for Nikon's first attempt... And this has happened before too, eg. Nikon's earlier days competing against Canon across the entire DSLR market...

No need to panic, but we should just temper expectations... at least for now...

I imagine most people who might be in the market for this and have not already gone w/ Sony or say Panny's m43 offerings can probably easily hold off for a more mature, next iteration... although this does feel like a bit of a letdown...

They might also be making a mistake by claiming focus equal to the D850 (or D500) because I can attest to the fact my D500 AF is amazing.

Seems like their claim is for more than just the AF... at least that's my impression from that youtube preview... But yeah, agreed that it's not a good idea to claim these are equal to the primary AF (instead of liveview AF) of D850 or D500... although it seems like they aren't even comparable to older models from several years back either (at least for continuous AF tracking)...

OTOH, it's tricky business since they're looking to charge prices comparable to those, so... maybe they'll need to discount these sooner than later if they really cannot get their AF to at least work as well as say D800 and D300. For me, I'd probably need something close to that plus reasonably smooth continuous AF for shooting video to justify it (and I'm guessing I'd need a Z zoom lens for the latter as well... maybe something comparable to the 24-120 f/4 although something more in the range of 35-200 would be better for video)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I imagine most people who might be in the market for this and have not already gone w/ Sony or say Panny's m43 offerings can probably easily hold off for a more mature, next iteration... although this does feel like a bit of a letdown...
I think that's the main issue. Those impatient, "gotta have the up-to-the-second-stuff" people might cool their jets, knowing it's no longer a pipe dream. Who knows what can be improved with software.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And just when the hype dies down a bit with the Nikon, here we go with more from Canon.

https://www.canonrumors.com/heres-the-full-list-of-gear-canon-will-announce-on-september-5/

If that rumor is true, that's a nice initial list of native mount lenses. It will be interesting to see if the body can handle EF mount lenses without an adapter -- that would be a huge attraction. If the ergonomics are similar to my 5D3 & 7D2, this could be an eventual replacement for my 5D3 a few years from now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If that rumor is true, that's a nice initial list of native mount lenses. It will be interesting to see if the body can handle EF mount lenses without an adapter -- that would be a huge attraction. If the ergonomics are similar to my 5D3 & 7D2, this could be an eventual replacement for my 5D3 a few years from now.
If you mean a mirrorless body, any mirrorless system should always require an adapter using DSLR lenses. The flange distance should always be shorter with mirrorless, or you're throwing away half the lens design benefits of mirrorless.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The latest Canon FF mirrorless rumor includes more details, as well as some photos of the body and lens. Looks like a EF to RF adapter will be part of the announcements, so it is indeed a new mount. The RF 28-70mm f/2 lens looks smaller than I thought it would be. The body looks more like Canon's 6D than the 5D platform with regards to buttons and ergonomics.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This was an interesting read with the history and where the writer thinks things are headed, especially with regards to the 7Diii. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-camera-mounts-and-change/

I thought this line was pretty funny -- "Anyone who’s assiduously built up a collection of EF-M lenses in the hope that something better would come along has seriously mis-read their Canon tealeaves."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This was an interesting read with the history and where the writer thinks things are headed, especially with regards to the 7Diii. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-camera-mounts-and-change/

I thought this line was pretty funny -- "Anyone who’s assiduously built up a collection of EF-M lenses in the hope that something better would come along has seriously mis-read their Canon tealeaves."

The EOS M line has always been a niche product -- a high quality compact camera for someone looking for a very portable camera that's better than a cell phone. I never understood people complaining there was no 17-55mm f/2.8 type lens for the line. Such as lens would be too big. I have a couple EOS M bodies and three lenses, and those three lenses are all I really need for a complete light weight, compact travel kit. That's what the EOS M is to me -- an alternative to a dSLR for those times I want or need to travel lighter.

The EOS R line is more a of complete shift in Canon's dSLR direction, and mirrorless bodies could eventually completely replace their EF line of dSLRs. I fully expect Canon to come out with a more pro-oriented body soon to complement this first effort, but if Canon's successor to the 7D2 ends up being an RF mount mirrorless APS-C body, as the article suggests, that would be the telling sign. They have been releasing some updates to their most popular "L" line of EF mount lenses lately, though, so who knows.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The no IBIS thing is troubling, but everything else looks great. I really would like to try out the 24-70 F2 =)

When almost the entire lens lineup (except for some short, fast primes) already has image stabilization, not also having it in the body isn't that big of a deal. Between the 10 EF and EF-M lenses I own, the only ones that don't have IS are a 22mm f/2 pancake, 40mm f/2.8 pancake and 50mm f/1.2L. I've never felt the need to have IS on those lenses.

It reminds me of a funny story from quite a few years ago. I was in Acadia National Park, and had my camera setup on a tripod because I was taking some long exposures of the moving water. Some guy with a Sony camera walked by, saw my tripod, and proudly stated to me "I don't need a tripod because my Sony has built-in stabilization". I responded that my Canon lens also had IS -- but I didn't feel like giving him a photography lesson because of his smug attitude, so I didn't mention what I was doing. He walked away with the most confused look on his face. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My rule of thumb is to try not to yuck other's yums, even when they inadvertently do so to me. That guy was excited about his purchase and might have really wanted to compare notes, not just to establish dominance. =)

I try to give a thumbs up or at least show interest about people's gear choices even when they are lavishing praise or showing signs of jealousy about mine. I note that I'm privileged to have good gear and try to be worthy of it, but that it's the artist behind the gear that matters most. It's weird to have those conversations sometimes but I genuinely love to hear how people chose their tools and what they love and hate about em =)

Trust me, if that guy had seen a fraction of your photography Scott he'd have known who the boss is. I'm thankful you share your images, stories, and techniques here at HTF.

Richard Harris is all about the new Canon. He claims that for his uses it's a clear winner over the Nikons.
https://photofocus.com/2018/09/05/a...-eos-r/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks