1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
  2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It's been interesting using the Sony a7iii alongside a Canon 7dii. The Canon has become a tool for a particular purpose, whereas the Sony is becoming more of a general purpose one. I've never been much of a prime lens shooter, but I find the Sony well suited for that given its lesser ergonomic profile.

3. Message #243 of 246 May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Wait... Cameron, did you recently buy a Sony a7iii? Or did you rent one or been using one from work or something? So are you enticed to switch to a7iii as your "general purpose" cam, if you didn't already buy/commit yet?

I went ahead and bought a Nikon Z6 kit on Friday (down to the last minute at store closing, LOL :P)... but still haven't committed to the purchase just yet as I do some final bits of homework on the whole thing. I didn't want to miss out on whatever part of their then-current deal... and apparently, they did actually cut it back slightly and only include free 32GB instead of 64GB XQD card since yesterday -- in fact, when I noticed the change on their site, I had to doublecheck to make sure they hadn't already changed the deal when I bought, LOL... as that would've been a significant downer...

I will likely visit B&H again on Tues (largely for completely diff reasons) before I actually commit. I didn't have enough time on Friday to check out the Atomos Ninja V beyond trying briefly to listen for and assess the fan noise issue... which was basically impossible to do in-store... at least in relatively casual manner since the place was so noisy. Too bad they don't seem to have a reasonably sound-proof demo room to accommodate... like most any decent, dedicated audio gear shop would despite pro audio gear being a significant part of their business... Hmmm... maybe I should find out for sure if they can't actually accommodate -- I did get a little help on the issue, but maybe it was a bit too hectic and time constrained (at store closing) for that particular young-ish sales clerk to think of all possible options...

_Man_

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I got a Sony a7iii last year and have been using it mostly for work stuff. Although technically I purchased it, I was paying it off over the last year and looking at that year as an evaluation period to see if it would reach "adoption level." It has actually grown on me quite a bit, especially for taking photos of my kids and as a street photography kind of camera. I can't imagine using a 70-200 2.8 lens on it though, though I know some do, which is why I'm still using the Canon for that kind of shooting.

5. Message #245 of 246 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Aaah... Ok... I went back a few pages of posts in this thread and didn't see you mention it.

Anyway, yeah, I can definitely see what you mean when I tried the Z6 in person.

The Z6 (and probably a7iii I guess) definitely has the feel of a street photog kinda rangefinder... on top of being small and (at least initially for me) not likely well balanced w/ any hefty tele glass -- I do plan to try my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on it mainly for video on a tripod, not handheld. Even a hefty-ish, "fast" widezoom would seem out of place w/ it... which is partly why I ended up choosing a kit w/ the smaller f/4 widezoom -- and the optics on that Nikon widezoom seems to hold up very well even against Nikon's own flagship F mount f/2.8 widezoom.

Not sure if I'll (ever?) go full street photog mode again and shoot extensively w/ primes w/ it as I did for some time when I bought my first DSLR and then again when upgraded to D200... For one thing, I'd probably need to buy new primes specifically for Z mount (unless I really do the "f/8 and be there" thing, LOL, since all my medium-wide-to-short-tele primes cannot AF on the Z6)... which I'm in no hurry especially given prices... I do have the Sigma 105 f/2.8 OS Macro that would be effectively bit shorter than my old 85 f/1.8 on DX crop that I used to love shooting for street stuff... though the Sigma is heftier and physically more imposing than desired for that kind of photography...

Maybe I'll get around to buying a 45-to-60mm-ish medium prime for this at some point...

I did just see an announcement for the interesting looking new Petzval 55 f/1.7 for FF mirrorless cams. Might be worth going that direction instead of the plain 50 f/1.8 for instance, especially given the significantly lower price(s)...

_Man_

6. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, I think I had more to say about it in the GAS thread.