1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
  2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It's been interesting using the Sony a7iii alongside a Canon 7dii. The Canon has become a tool for a particular purpose, whereas the Sony is becoming more of a general purpose one. I've never been much of a prime lens shooter, but I find the Sony well suited for that given its lesser ergonomic profile.

3. Message #243 of 266 May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Wait... Cameron, did you recently buy a Sony a7iii? Or did you rent one or been using one from work or something? So are you enticed to switch to a7iii as your "general purpose" cam, if you didn't already buy/commit yet?

I went ahead and bought a Nikon Z6 kit on Friday (down to the last minute at store closing, LOL :P)... but still haven't committed to the purchase just yet as I do some final bits of homework on the whole thing. I didn't want to miss out on whatever part of their then-current deal... and apparently, they did actually cut it back slightly and only include free 32GB instead of 64GB XQD card since yesterday -- in fact, when I noticed the change on their site, I had to doublecheck to make sure they hadn't already changed the deal when I bought, LOL... as that would've been a significant downer...

I will likely visit B&H again on Tues (largely for completely diff reasons) before I actually commit. I didn't have enough time on Friday to check out the Atomos Ninja V beyond trying briefly to listen for and assess the fan noise issue... which was basically impossible to do in-store... at least in relatively casual manner since the place was so noisy. Too bad they don't seem to have a reasonably sound-proof demo room to accommodate... like most any decent, dedicated audio gear shop would despite pro audio gear being a significant part of their business... Hmmm... maybe I should find out for sure if they can't actually accommodate -- I did get a little help on the issue, but maybe it was a bit too hectic and time constrained (at store closing) for that particular young-ish sales clerk to think of all possible options...

_Man_

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I got a Sony a7iii last year and have been using it mostly for work stuff. Although technically I purchased it, I was paying it off over the last year and looking at that year as an evaluation period to see if it would reach "adoption level." It has actually grown on me quite a bit, especially for taking photos of my kids and as a street photography kind of camera. I can't imagine using a 70-200 2.8 lens on it though, though I know some do, which is why I'm still using the Canon for that kind of shooting.

5. Message #245 of 266 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Aaah... Ok... I went back a few pages of posts in this thread and didn't see you mention it.

Anyway, yeah, I can definitely see what you mean when I tried the Z6 in person.

The Z6 (and probably a7iii I guess) definitely has the feel of a street photog kinda rangefinder... on top of being small and (at least initially for me) not likely well balanced w/ any hefty tele glass -- I do plan to try my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on it mainly for video on a tripod, not handheld. Even a hefty-ish, "fast" widezoom would seem out of place w/ it... which is partly why I ended up choosing a kit w/ the smaller f/4 widezoom -- and the optics on that Nikon widezoom seems to hold up very well even against Nikon's own flagship F mount f/2.8 widezoom.

Not sure if I'll (ever?) go full street photog mode again and shoot extensively w/ primes w/ it as I did for some time when I bought my first DSLR and then again when upgraded to D200... For one thing, I'd probably need to buy new primes specifically for Z mount (unless I really do the "f/8 and be there" thing, LOL, since all my medium-wide-to-short-tele primes cannot AF on the Z6)... which I'm in no hurry especially given prices... I do have the Sigma 105 f/2.8 OS Macro that would be effectively bit shorter than my old 85 f/1.8 on DX crop that I used to love shooting for street stuff... though the Sigma is heftier and physically more imposing than desired for that kind of photography...

Maybe I'll get around to buying a 45-to-60mm-ish medium prime for this at some point...

I did just see an announcement for the interesting looking new Petzval 55 f/1.7 for FF mirrorless cams. Might be worth going that direction instead of the plain 50 f/1.8 for instance, especially given the significantly lower price(s)...

_Man_

6. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, I think I had more to say about it in the GAS thread.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, B&H Photo offered me a deal too good to pass up on the Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless body plus RF 24-105L f/4 IS lens, so I ordered one this morning. The body + lens was marked down $1,000, plus they sent me a private code for another $200 off and included a Canon EF to RF lens adapter (normally $99). I also used B&H's Payboo service, which refunds the sales tax (another $131 in savings). Total cost for everything, including free two day shipping, was $2,199.

Now I need to sell my Canon 5D3 full frame dSLR and EF-24-105L f/4 IS lens. The image stabilization flakes out on the lens occasionally, so I figure I will just throw that it in with the camera. The lens works fine with the IS turned off, but will sometimes cause the image to "jump" in the viewfinder when IS in engaged. It's not worth fixing.

I will just use my current EF lenses with the new body via the adapter for now -- except for the RF 24-105L, of course. My old 24-105L was my most-used outdoor landscape lens, so the new lens should work great.

Cameron Yee and ManW_TheUncool like this.
  8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Now that I started shooting some video in 4K on the Z6, gonna have to upgrade my PC to keep up -- just recently started ordering parts.

Didn't think I was ever gonna bother doing a DIY custom build again, but just like a couple decades ago, seems like that's (still) the best way to go for NLE video processing/editing nowadays... although it's more about the CPU instead of some dedicated video editing card now (unless I'm willing to shell out really big bucks for a workstation card like the Quadro series)... Still, probably gonna get the most expensive video card I've ever bought... and maybe finally try out some 3D gaming on the new build (as I pretty much avoided that whole scene since dipping my toes in a couple of driving sims long ago) -- the Ryzen 7 CPU I just bought (from B&H) actually comes w/ some free games and XBox service bundle/bonus.

Oh, I did also recently pull the trigger on a Ninja V 4K recording monitor kit from B&H when they dropped the price by $100. People are apparently still waiting for the promised ProRes Raw to happen w/ the Nikon-Atomos combo -- and ProRes Raw seems more attractive than I originally assumed. I suppose the ProRes formats should be easier on NLE processing... though I'm not exactly looking forward to their storage needs, especially on archival side... :eek:

Also sorta checking out some modest gimbals lately, including the Zhiyun Weebill-S...

_Man_

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
  10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Just thought I might (finally) share a recent video of my youngest's solo recital shot w/ my Z6 + old Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 using Sennheiser MKE-440 stereo shotgun mic (from back of the music school's modest sized recital hall) -- she's nearly 13-yo now and has been taking lessons for ~8 years (while her now-college-age siblings also did similarly)...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cJHBGXezK9hN94TGpU5Dbum_FRTRu5A0/view?usp=drivesdk

Yes, I applied a bit of audio NR as the Z6's built-in preamp SNR isn't that great (on top of the ambient room+audience noise). Also applied a bit of zoom-and-pan to the latter half -- my current biggest reason for shooting in 4K... to allow good 1080p results for such uses of PP...

FWIW, didn't actually use my new Ninja V for this -- figured I probably didn't need the extra quality (and gigantic files and extra efforts :P) for a pretty static, reasonably lit solo recital... though I did shoot at ISO1600...

Cheers!

_Man_

PS: Not sure this is worth starting a separate thread, so just gonna share it here for now...

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    From that link...

Yay. I've been concerned about the future of XQD.

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    John,

Although CF-express is backward compatibility w/ XQD, seems like the XQD format itself is becoming obsolete since it just won't compete w/ CF-express due to its performance limitation. I suppose they could start pricing XQD cards much cheaper so as not to directly compete w/ much faster CF-express cards...

XQD will probably continue to be fast enough for some time... especially for still photography... and probably even for 4K video until cameras start doing in-camera ProRes (whether 4:2:2 or Raw) or similar... Then again, those high bitrate formats may produce too big file sizes for such media cards -- probably need at least 500MB card and preferably over 1TB for that...

_Man_

13. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    My concern was more regarding being able to get XQD cards for the D500 in a year or two that don't cost a fortune. This solves that problem.

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Anyone else using a gimbal w/ their mirrorless cam? Which one? How do you like it?

I'm debating between the Zhiyun Weebill-S and DJI Ronin SC for my Z6...

Would be nice if it worked w/ Ninja V, but I guess that may be asking too much... :P

_Man_

15. Scott Merryfield

I was out of town on a family matter, so I just started playing with my new Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless. The ergonomics are much different than my 5D3 and 7D2, so it's going to take me some time to get used to the controls and get the camera customized to my tastes. The eye focus seems to work very well -- I can see that coming in handy shooting family gatherings over the holidays.

So far I have only tried the RF 24-105mm f/4 IS L lens I ordered with the camera, as well as my EF 50mm f/1.2 L using the EF to RF adapter. The 50L responds just as well on this body with the adapter as it does natively on my other bodies, just as advertised. The RF 24-105L seems like an improvement over my old EF 24-105L -- it's built more solid, with no zoom creep. It has a zoom lock switch, but right now it's not really needed. I'll see if the lens loosens up over time.

The EOS R body is a little smaller than my 5D3 and 7D2, but the combo with the RF 24-105L seems to weigh about the same at the 5D3 + EF 24-105L. With a lighter weight RF prime lens, though, this could be a nice light weight walk around body. I do have a EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens, so I will have to give that a try with the adapter.

Sam Posten likes this.
  16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

As is usual, youse guys is talkin' over my head in terms of mirrorless cameras and specs and such...but I jut wanted to report how much I enjoyed the clip of the recital itself and how well your daughter played, Man.

That is really terrific and I can only imagine the wonderful things she and her siblings are going to be going on to do in their lives.

Technically-speaking, I'll also say how impressed I am with the performance of your shotgun mic. We have used a Sennheiser mic in my office for various shoots over the years and it has always performed like a champ (but not at that distance, I wouldn't think). And whenever I shot my daughter's piano recitals (much more casual and intimate affairs at a local church), I borrowed a Shure mixer and a couple of mics to get decent audio to my position on a riser in the back of the room. I was always the go-to guy for video copies of the recitals as I shot the entire thing for her teacher so would have all the students' performances recorded. This was back in the early 1990s.

Sam Posten and ManW_TheUncool like this.
  17. Scott Merryfield

I decided to take advantage of Canon's holiday sales again and ordered a new RF 35mm f/1.8 IS lens for my new EOS R body. I have a 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens for my 5D3 to use as a light weight walk around setup, but the f/2.8 was a little limiting for indoor use and isolating people with a narrow depth of field. This lens should solve that issue, and give me something lighter than the EF 50mm L f/1.2 lens + EF to RF adapter I'm using right now -- although that 50L lens really works well with the EOS R.

About the only other RF lens I could see adding to my setup anytime soon would be a RF 16-35mm f/4 IS as an upgrade to my EF version, should Canon release such a lens (which they probably will eventually). Upgrading my telephoto lenses to an RF mount version makes no sense as long as I keep my Canon 7D2 as a dedicated wildlife body, as that camera will not handle the new RF mount.

18. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Sounds like a nice new lens acquisition, Scott. I also debated a little about the Nikon Z version, but decided against it at least for now... partly because it's still a bit expensive (despite current discount) and partly because it seems quite big/long (for what it is and what I'd prefer, especially on the small-ish Z6) as it's hardly smaller than the Z 24-70mm f/4S... unlike the Canon RF version or older Nikon F versions, including the old 35 f/2D I still have (though that's an inferior lens, would require adapter and won't AF on the Z6, of course).

I often used the 35 /f2D for street photography and "environmental portraiture", especially on my DX crop bodies, and loved its small, inobtrusive stature for that. In truth, I didn't often need all that shallow DoF for such... really depends... but yeah, better to have the option than not (and of course, the generally better IQ that comes w/ that)...

I'd also consider the Z 50mm f/1.8S, but that too is kinda bigger/longer than I'd like for that -- 50mm at FF would probably serve me better for street photography and such...

Anyway, I did end up ordering a Zhiyun Weebill-S gimbal from the recent B&H sale though... Almost brought it w/ me for my short trip to San Diego last week... but that would've been too much, haha... As it was, I didn't even get to use my new Peak Design travel tripod despite lugging it w/ me... :P

_Man_

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I hope, at least, that its aerodynamic qualities were proven out! :D

20. Message #260 of 266 Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Scott Merryfield

My Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS lens arrived a couple of days ago. The image quality and auto focus speed are both quite good -- it's an STM auto focus motor instead of USM, so I knew it wouldn't be quite as fast or smooth as my USM lenses. The lens barrel does extend quite a bit when focusing, but I can get used to that. The lens is light weight and pretty compact for a f/1.8 lens, so it makes for a nice light weight solution on the EOS R.

I do need to play with the control ring that is new for the RF lens system. I'm not sure what function to assign to it, though. Maybe changing aperture if I start to use the new Fv (i.e. Flexible Priority) shooting mode. However, since I do not own the EF to RF lens adapter with the control ring, I will lose that feature with any EF lens I attach. I could buy that particular adapter for $200, but for now will just see how much I end up using the control ring. Right now I'm not using it at all, as I'm not used to it being there.

Like all Canon non-L lenses, the RF 35mm f/1.8 doesn't come with a lens hood. I'm not sure if I will order one for this lens -- the Canon brand hood looks pretty low profile, so will not offer much protection. I do not have a hood for either of my pancake lenses for that same reason. I haven't checked to see if a 3rd party hood is available yet -- the Canon one is too expensive at about $41. That's way too much for just a piece of plastic, but is typical for Canon hoods. That's why I have been buying 3rd party hoods instead for my non-L lenses. As long as they fit properly, there isn't any difference and the 3rd party hoods cost a fraction of the price.