1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A shot of our grand nephew with my new Canon EOS R and EF 50L lens (via the EF to RF lens adapter). I'm really pleased with the camera so far. It handles my EF lenses as if they are native to the body, auto focus performance is excellent, and the images need very little work in post processing. My 50L lens has never performed so well.

[​IMG]

Mike Frezon and Sam Posten like this.
  2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The new Nikon Z 70-200 f/2.8 VR S looks enticing... but... I can’t see myself spending that much on it for a small mirrorless body and then not also be able to use it on any Nikon DSLRs like my D800.

I think if I spend that much at this point, I’d wanna be able to use it on my D800 too.

OTOH, if they would give us a Z 70-200 or (especially) 70-300 f/4 VR S for say 1/2 that price, I’m there!

_Man_

3. Scott Merryfield

That's where I am at with telephoto lenses for my new Canon EOS R, too. As long as I own a Canon EF mount dSLR for use with my telephoto lenses, I really cannot consider upgrading my EF 70-200 f/4 IS or EF 100-400L lS lenses. I use those two lenses mostly with my Canon 7D2 dSLR, and only occasionally with my old Canon 5D3 full frame dSLR that is being replaced by the EOS R. For now, if I want to use one of the telephoto lenses on the EOS R, then I will just use the EF to RF adapter. There is absolutely no degradation in performance using EF lenses on the R vs. using them on a Canon EF mount body. The only downside is the adapter adds a little length to the lens -- it makes my EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens look like a short telephoto. :laugh:

I don't plan on replacing the Canon 7D2 anytime soon. I like having a dedicated body for wildlife shooting, as it greatly reduces lens changes when out in the field shooting both wildlife and landscapes. Until Canon makes an affordable RF mount replacement for the 7D2, I will stick with what I have.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  5. Message #265 of 266 Feb 13, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Scott Merryfield

I have the RF 24-105mmL f/4 IS and RF 35mm f/1.8 lenses, which compare favorably price-wise with their EF counterparts. There is also an RF 24-240mm variable max aperture lens, but I have never been a fan of super zoom lenses. Otherwise, you are correct regarding the current RF lens line-up - - the other lenses are very expensive. Supposedly, Canon has 9 new RF lens releases planned for 2020, including two teleconvertors and a 100-500mm f/5.6-7.1 lens. The other lenses are unknown at this time, but hopefully some are in the more affordable areas.

Personally, I would be happy with a replacement for my EF 16-35mmL f/4 IS and a more affordable 50mm offering -- the RF 50mmL f/1.2 is supposed to be incredible, but it's also $2,100. That's too rich for me. I would love a RF 50mm f/1.4 of similar quality to the RF 35mm I currently own. I could then sell my EF 50mmL f/1.2.

I cannot envision replacing my two EF telephoto lenses while I still own a 7D2 for wildlife. The only other lens I own is a Sigma 105mm macro, and I am perfectly happy using the EF to RF adapter for it, as that lens doesn't get much use.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Next rumor in the mill is an R6 with 20MP and 4K video, which seems to be more within reach for me. I'm assuming this is the mirrorless successor to the 6D.