1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

While it's not the $300 I spent on the M1 years ago, the $780-ish price point ain't bad.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Maybe the M50 announcement will drive down the price some more on the M5. I have no need for 4K video

4. Message #164 of 235 Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I don't know what anyone here thinks of Jared Polin, but THIS VIDEO cracked me up. Wait for it...''

Sounds like 4K video on the M50 is pretty worthless, with a nearly 3x lens factor.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

That upcoming Sony A7III looks like a gateway drug when it comes to moving Canon users to Sony's Mirrorless line.

I'm tempted to move away from my Canon 5D3's. But I can wait until after the initial wave of orders have been delivered, and see how things go for the converted users.

6. Scott Merryfield

The idea of switching from my full sized dSLRs to another brand is completely unappealing to me. It's not just the body, but all the lenses and external flashes that need to be swapped out, unless you want to use an adapter for all your lenses. It's just not worth it to me -- my 5D3 and 7D2 can do everything I need at the moment. A Sony full frame mirrorless isn't going to improve my photography.

Their smaller crop sensor cameras are more appealing to me, as I have very little money invested in Canon's solution. For me, a mirrorless body is a supplement to my larger bodies -- something small and lightweight when I want to travel less encumbered than with my larger gear.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    For me it's an AND not an or. Luxury, I know.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    What is the draw to move to full frame mirrorless? Small body size is always what's touted, but that does nothing for the lenses, and I find those tiny bodies extremely uncomfortable to use, especially once you mount a large lens on them. When I went from the D7100 to the D500, I was surprised how much more comfortable the larger body was to handle, even though it's unusually heavy. Of course, I'm 6' 6" and my hands aren't exactly small. When I decided to get something smaller and less expensive, I kind of assumed I'd go Sony Alpha 6xxx line, but the Nikon D5500 was infinitely more comfortable for me to handle. In the end, I liked the features better as well.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I don't have one but if I did it would be the Sony A7 R3 or S3. R3 for resolution, S for high ISO. Pair them with the G lenses like the 24-70 and you have a really nice light weight walk around kit. With built in 6 axis stabilization. Hard to beat that combo.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Since I shoot Canon, a switch to the Sony A7III is a $200 Sigma MC11 adapter away if I wanted to continue to use my Canon lenses. And I don't use super-heavy glass (though I have 3 Sigma primes in my lineup, with 2 "slow" Canon F/4 zooms). I'm kinda done with my 5D3's sensor's shadow noise, I want a better sensor that allows me to push my RAW files when needed.

I'd probably snag a battery grip to help with the ergonomics of the smaller mirrorless body (plus, I'm used to having battery grips on my Canons). But the eye-AF (for portrait shoots), and the in-body stabilization are nice feature of the Sony A7III for what I shoot nowadays. For $2k, it's a feature-rich body (easily could entertain a $2500-$3000 MSRP). I don't use on-camera flash, so I don't really need Sony-specific speedlites, but I would have to buy some Godox XPro-S(ony) triggers for my Godox lights. But I know I'd also incur the cost of the lens adapter, extra battery or two, a battery grip; so another $700 more to make the switch (or simply augment my camera stable). Anyhow, daydreaming out loud for the moment. :)

But, I don't know how good the AF is for low light situations if you need to use an adapter with non-Sony glass, but in good light, it's fairly remarkable.

11. Scott Merryfield

B&H Photo had a good deal on the Canon EOS M50 mirrorless camera, so I bit on a package that includes the EF-M 15-45mm lens and the EF to EF-M adapter. We've been taking more short trips where I do not want to bring along my full size bodies, and my original EOS M is very limiting due to its lack of a viewfinder and poor auto focus performance. This should solve those two issues and still give me something compact for those types of trips. I plan on selling my EF-M 18-55mm lens, too, which will help reduce my cost. The 15-45mm lens is physically more compact and I would rather have a few extra mm on the wide end than the extra 10mm on the long end, so this lens's focal range should work better, too.

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Scott Merryfield

My Canon EOS M50 arrived last Friday. I have not had much time to play with it yet, other than taking a few quick shots and video clips around the house to make sure it works. The camera is a little bigger than the original M that I also own -- just enough so that it will not fit in the pocket of my cargo shorts or pants. It does slip into a coat pocket fine, though. I ordered a wrist strap for it (don't really want a shoulder strap for something this small) and a 3rd party lens hood for the EFM 15-45mm lens (the Canon hood is $24, while the 3rd party one was $10).

From the little I've used the camera, its auto focus seems miles better than the original EOS M. The viewfinder also works very well. Camera ergonomics are much better, too, but still not as good as my dSLRs. The one downside is that neither DxO PhotoLab nor Lightroom 6 support the new CR3 RAW files -- DxO will be adding it, but there's no hope for LR6. So, for now I will use either Canon's Digital Photo Professional or Adobe's free DNG convertor for the RAW files, and I am shooting RAW + jpeg as well (I always shoot RAW-only with my dSLRs).

A friend wants to buy my EFM 18-55mm lens for his EOS M (he only has the 22mm f/2 pancake lens), so I just need to find out if he also wants my matching Marumi circular polarizing filter as well. If so, I will need to pick up a new 49mm CPL filter -- if not, I may just buy a 52mm - 49mm step down ring. The 18-55mm has a 52mm filter size, while the 15-45mm I'm keeping has a 49mm filter size. I didn't use the CPL much on the EOS M, mostly because it was difficult to rotate it to the proper position while using the back LCD screen. With an actual viewfinder now, it should hopefully be a lot easier to do -- more like I'm used to with a dSLR.

13. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Supporting Actor

Lenny
    Talking of camera prices... I purchased a pocket 35mm camera made in 1972 off a market stall for £2.10 popped a film in it for a bit of holiday fun photography and the results were beautiful. Even the Selenium light meter still worked accurately.

14. Scott Merryfield

A sorta macro shot taken handheld with the new Canon M50 and 15-45mm lens. The EF to EFM adapter I ordered with the camera is on backorder, so I cannot try any of my EF lenses yet -- including my Sigma 105mm macro.

[​IMG]

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  16. Message #176 of 235 Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Scott Merryfield

I had a chance to try out the new Canon M50 this morning, as we took our nieces and nephews to the local park. It gave me an opportunity to test out the auto focus system, as small children never stay still. ;) Once I figured out the best AF setting, the camera did a fine job of tracking my subject. The few out of focus shots when I started were completely user error.

I used Adobe's RAW to DNG convertor, then imported the DNG files into Lightroom 6. That seems to be my best option for now until DxO adds support for the new Canon CR3 RAW file format to PhotoLab. DxO will not even import the DNG files, telling me it does not support that camera model.

Here are a couple of shots of our grand niece:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife and grand nephew:
    [​IMG]

AF tracking for video worked well, too. I cannot figure out how to post a video clip, though -- the "media" function of the forum does not seem to like the videos I stored on my Smug Mug account.

JohnRice likes this.
  17. Scott Merryfield

The EF to EF-M lens adapter that was on backorder showed up today. It seems to work properly. I can see this potentially being very useful with my Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens as a portrait lens. It's still compact, even with the adapter.

Here is a handheld shot using the adapter with my Sigma 105mm macro lens:

[​IMG]

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. Scott Merryfield

I've had an opportunity to play with the Canon M50 for awhile now, and for the most part I am quite pleased with the camera. I put it to kind of a stress test on Sunday at the zoo, using the camera with my EF 70-200L f/4 IS lens via the EF to EF-M adapter. The combo worked well in most instances, although I did fail to get any shots of the highly activate wolverine in focus -- the tracking just couldn't seem to keep up with him. I can usually nail the shot of the wolverine with my dSLRs, so I may have found the limitations of the M50's auto focus system. It's much better than the original M, but still not as good as my 5D3 and 7D2 dLSRs.

Image quality is excellent, as is to be expected with Canon's latest 24MP APS-C sensor and latest Digic8 processor. The ergonomics are much better than the original M and more "dSLR-like". I am still struggling with moving the auto focus point around on the M50, though -- I am so used to using the joystick on the 5D3 and 7D2 for this. You can use the touch screen to set the AF point, but I'm finding this cumbersome compared with the joystick I'm used to.

The M50 does eat through batteries quickly. I rarely need to swap batteries with the dSLRs during a day trip, but I burned through a battery pretty quickly while at Greenfield Village on the 4th of July while taking under 100 shots and I didn't shoot any video. I think it was mainly from leaving the camera on -- while it's set to go into sleep mode after a minute, it's easy to touch something while walking and bring it out of sleep mode. I tried to remember to actually turn the camera off while walking around at the zoo, and did not need to swap batteries during that outing (although I only took around 50 shots).

I just used some Amazon gift cards I got for my birthday and Amazon credit card points to order a used EF-M 55-200mm lens. The dealer has excellent feedback, and the lens is $200 compared with $350 for a new one. Hopefully all will go well and I will not need to return it. With this lens, I should have a very versatile, compact kit for those times I do not want to bring along the bigger equipment. I'll have a focal range of 15mm to 200mm (24mm to 320mm equivalent field of view in 35mm terms), a couple of faster prime pancake lenses for lower light requirements (22mm f/2 native lens and 40mm f/2.8 via an adapter), and the compact Canon Speedlite 270EX with the ability to bounce the flash. The M50 does have a built in flash, which I've used a couple of times just as a convenient fill flash -- but that's about all it's good for, like most built-in flashes.

19. Scott Merryfield

My EF-M 55-200mm lens showed up yesterday. This thing is small for a 200mm telephoto! It's maximum aperture is only f/4.5-6.3, which helps explain its small size. I've only played around with it a little, but it does seem a little soft when compared to my two Canon L telephotos. Of course, we are talking about comparing it to big, expensive glass, so I'm not surprised.

Here are a few test shots. The shots of the rabbit and robin were cropped in Lightroom 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Scott Merryfield

To give an idea of the size of the EF-M 55-200mm, here it is next to the EF 70-200L f/4 IS and its lens hood. The 70-200 f/4 is already a fairly small telephoto lens when compared to the beast 70-200L f/2.8 -- about half the size and weight.

[​IMG]