What's new

Anyone familiar with Toshiba 46H83?? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The most important first step is to put the TV in "MOVIE" mode. If you haven't changed the factory default settings, that could easily explain what you are seeing. The factory settings are much too high.

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought this gorgeous Toshiba High Definition 46 inch TV, and added component cables so that my inputs are for colorstream HD1. I was wondering about the 3-2 Pulldown feature that is included with this tv, but I am not sure how to utilize it? I watch some movies and they have very bad pixelation in the dark colors, and it is either my dvd player (i bought an RCA 650 watt home theater in a box) or something I am not doing on the TV.

I dont know what settings to have the 1080i or 540p on, so I am just going to leave it on 1080i, but my RCA DVD player is NOT progressive scan. I guess my questions are, what can I do to get this picture not as washed out and pixelated on the dark action scenes?? I hope I do not have to buy a new progressive scan dvd player. Thanks for any advice or information.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The artifacts seem consistent across diffrent DVD's and Sources?

There is something call black level on yoru DVD player, try changing it from what ever it is set to now, to the other setting and see if it helps.

I would think you are getting the 3:2 pulldown, and progressive scan from your TV in it current hooked up situation.

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I am beyond frustrated. For three weeks now I have messed with my new Toshiba HD Widescreen 46 Inch TV, model 46H83, and I still cannot get a crisp solid picture. I even bought component cables and hooked them up to my TV and DVD player and I pretty much wasted my money cause the problems are still there. I cannot find anywhere in my DVD player menu a black level setting as some have suggested I go to, but the main problems again are pretty bad pixelation on dark colors. It is like the screen is moving in the background with all the grain and pixelation happening. Close ups on faces have pretty bad pixelation of shadows on their faces, its not a clear, natural face.

If anyone is familiar with the old Sega Genesis system, most games had graphics that were not even close to the Super Nintendo in terms of quality. It's almost as if solid colors are not filled in all the way, they are dotted in, like in Sega games. It really is tough to describe it, but someone told me that DVD's just arent caught up to the technology of HD sets yet, and this is just going to have to be accepted for a while, but I am not buying it. I have adjusted the colors, added component video, checked my TV settings, I just give up. I do not know what else to do, but it is almost as if I do not even want to watch movies anymore because I can see the impefections more on a larger set. Do all projections have this problem? Will progressive scan DVD players make a difference? Granted, my DVD player (RCA) is not the top of the line, but it certainly cannot make this much of a difference can it?? I hate whining so much, but I am a huge movie and home theater fan, and I am greatly disappointed that my favorite hobby is turning into this much anger and frustration. Any advice?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I have a cheap phillips in my livingroom- and the difference versus a real player is night and day. The cheap players have a very pixelated look, and MPEg compression artifacts are far more obvious on the cheap player.

Don't get me wrong, you might absolutely have an issue with the set, with the player or simply with DVD in general- however I watch DVD on a 16:9 screen that is 6 foot wide and it looks fine (front projection and HTPC, but none the lass, the quality is there).

Anyway- dunno what your issue is--- my immediate impulse would be concverters in dvd player (borrow another and try it out), the scaling technology in your set sucks, the display type is not something you like, or simply the DVD format is not up to what you are expecting.

-Vince

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
Jay I pretty much faced this problem when I upgraded to my Mitsubishi 48" HDTV RPTV.

I remedied this buy purchasing the DENON 910 Progressive scan player.

Honestly I think upgrading the TV has given a new light to all the imperfections in the RCA DVD player. You should try to borrow a GOOD DVD player if possible. If you try a progressive scan RCA player, you will probably see the same faults. I would very much argue that the Black levels are probably incorrectly displayed on that player, and BLACK sure does show grain real well.....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried a calibration disc such as Avia, Home Theater Tune Up or Video Essentials? If nothing else, you may have the sharpness setting too high, and on a larger screen this can appear as pixellation. There are many things it could be, but I'd at least try out one of these disc first to see if they help at all.

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so I just got back from my parents house, they have a JVC DVD Player with all the connections I need (optical, components etc) and I just hooked it up and it looks absolutely horrible. Worse than my RCA Player's picture. I have everything hooked up right and checked if the connections were tight, but the picture looks like not all the colors are there. I can see huge vertical lines going over the picture and it is real fuzzy. It almost looks like I have it on the wrong input setting or something, but I have it on colorstream HD1 like it should be. I just dont get it. Do I need to put the TV on a specific setting or do I need to twist my component cables in to the ports more, what do I do?? I would hate to buy a progressive player and have that not be the answer either.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
JVC isn't exactly the pinnacle of DVD players either IMHO.
Try and get your hands on a GOOD progressive scan player. Just because it IS progressive scan, doesn't make it a good player. Apex makes one! :thumbsdown: Denon would be a good place to look. Toshiba and Sony are supposed to make some good ones, as is Samsung.

Lesson being: Bottom rung progressive scan dvd player + Good TV = ARGGG!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Good luck.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Jay, I have combined all of your threads about your new TV here. Please ask further questions in this thread, and do not start new ones.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks