What's new

Anyone familiar with the Sony HAR-D1000 digital audio server? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am intrigued by the Sony HAR-D1000 digital audio server. Here is what I know so far:

* Retail price is $600, but J&R Music World sells it for $430, which seems very reasonable for one of these servers.

* 40-GB hard drive (the Onkyo MSB-1 only has a 20-GB hard drive)

* Uses ATRAC compression (not MP3)

* Has an internal CD tray for recording from CDs to the hard drive at up to 2x speed

* Has analog and optical digital inputs for recording from external sources and analog and optical digital outputs for playback through a home audio system

Those are some of the main features I have come across. Here are a few key questions I have:

1) Does the HAR-D1000 allow you dub CDs to the hard drive without compression (i.e., store CD-quality audio on the server)?

2) Can you record from the hard drive to CD-Rs and CD-RWs? In other words, does the CD tray function as a CD burner? I have a feeling you can only record one way (CD to hard drive). To me, a server is only useful if it allows you to easily make mixes onto CD-Rs from the songs stored on the hard drive.

3) Can you record individual songs from a CD to the hard drive, or do you have to record entire CDs? I would think you could record individual songs, but since these servers are relatively new, I don't know how flexible they are.

4) Can you delete individual songs from the hard drive, or do you have to delete the entire album?

5) How is the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As an addendum, Circuit City's web site says the HAR-D1000 has no digital outputs. I thought I read somewhere that it did. :confused:

I can't find a reference to the HAR-D1000 either on Sony's site or at Circuit City.
Can anyone send me a link?
The Onkyo looks interesting, although pricey at $800.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sean, I agree that the Onkyo unit is pricey for what you get. It only has a 20-GB hard drive and does not record from the hard drive to CD-Rs or CD-RWs. They do make a unit in their Integra line with a 40-GB hard drive that is more expensive, but still doesn't record to CD-R/CD-RW.
Here is a link to the Sony HAR-D1000 on circuitcity.com:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...ductsearch.jsp

kevitra

Second Unit
I just saw one of these online. Anyone use one/play with one in a store? How is the sound quality?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Keith, I actually borrowed the manual from a local dealer a couple of months back and was thinking about replacing my Onkyo 6-disc changer in the bedroom system that I only would with my 'B' Speakers to feed 4 other places via a speaker switcher. Still thinking about it. I did copy the manual and put it into Acrobat so if you want a copy just holler via E-Mail. I will likely need to look at it soon and decide via their (my local dealer's) next clearance sale in a couple of months or so whether I want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks