What's new

Anyone excited about Reign of fire? (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Im really surprised there hasnt't been much talk about this film. From what i have seen, it looks like they are taking it seriously and feels like it has the potential to be a wonderful sci-fi movie hopefully ranking up there with the likes of aliens. Am i wrong about this? I was just suprised by the lack of any discussion (i did do a search to see if i had perhaps missed it and nothing showed up)..

so what do you all think?

Kami

Screenwriter
I'm really excited about it, and there has been some discussion here already.
If we see something like a surface to air missile hit a dragon, they'll have to call in the clean-up crew to my row because I'll have wet myself. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have to second that...or third...or whatever. I am really looking forward to this film!
We had a little thread about it's trailer a while back. Good stuff;)
Take care,
Chuck

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'm cautiously hopeful; cautious because there are warning buzzers going off in the back of my head (based on the trailer and clip I've seen) that scream possible B-Grade film. I have no interest in seeing a story of a post-apocalyptic society set upon by Dragons if the film budget is low balled, thus dramatically increasing the chance of it looking like crap on-screen. I have certain standards I apply to the look of stories involving fantastic elements or other action themes these days, and US$40m or uS$60m films just don't meet them most times. Certainly not if in the hands of an untalented director. Reign of Fire's director is Rob Bowman, who is a TV director lately having been associated with X-Files.

Frankly, there's a huge leap from TV to Movie direction. The pace of TV directing is about structuring around the commercial breaks every 12 minutes, and is always very fast paced without time spent on refining scenes or other story elements.

Spielburg would do an amazing movie about reawakened Dragons, it would have characters that I care about, development, good settings, and the effects would fit the story and be a joy to look at. Mr. Bowman is an unknown, so I simply can't get excited.

I hope I'm wrong though, as the concept sounds very cool.

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very exited. I loved Bowmans X-files movie.

The only thing that bugs me is the female love interrest. It can never be a good idea to put a character in a movie for that reason alone. But I hope for the best.

Timo J

Auditioning
This was the original trailer thread...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=64711
I'm so excited about this too, hope they show us the dragons in full force!
Sorry but I'd rather Bowman to direct this than Spielburg. I would much like this to be a "B-movie", R rated with campy characters and gritty violence, not Jurassic Park meets Saving Private Ryan. :)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I saw the trailer for this at some movie a while back and I thought it looked awesome. I dig the idea of dragons vs modern technology. My friends said they thought it looked lame (b-movie like) but like I said I thought it looked great and I'm excited to see it!

-Marshall

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm exceited. I think it looks like a solid and non-fomulaic film that rarely seems to make it these days.
Plus, sounds like some fun dialogue and pseudo-science in it as well.
Here's to hoping we get a serious dragon fight that I've been dreaming of. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I like the title, a pun, eliciting a "Rain" of Fire upon the earth by a dragon or more.

Interestingly, another X-Files stalwart, Mark Snow is the composer.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm interested. Not real excited yet - if you're going to have a movie about something big and nasty waking up to exert dominance over the world and destroy mankind I can think of something much better than a dragon - however, I'm intrigued enough to get my butt into the theater. The Apache helicopter helps.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sci-Fi Wire has an interview with the screenwriter:

"It's good," Greenberg said. "There are scenes that are just going to blow you away. My favorite scene is an aerial fight [with] parachuters jumping out of helicopters and fighting the dragons literally in freefall. It's just a spectacular sequence."

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't go so far as to mention Aliens, but...
This one looks like it could be one FUN b-movie.
To me, a fun b-movie is cause for much celebration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks