What's new

Anyone ever try and mount components on a wall??? (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have a small theater room and would like to see what I could do to get the components (receiver, players, ETC.) mounted onto a wall. I have seen a couple of systems you can buy but I don't like them. This includes the Vogal mounts.
I looked at some server wall mounts but they are either too small or too industrial looking.
My next thought is to build one but I am not sure what would be required to support the weight of the receiver (69 lbs) and later on an amp which will be about the same weight or more.
I currently have 2 DVD players, 2 sat boxes, cd player, line conditioner, a video switch and a number of small componets like bass shaker amps.
Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance
DH

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Yes, a shelf would be the basic idea. While it won't really save space it will give the illusion of opening up the room and make it appear less cluttered.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Todd

Great idea, I could run two short ones side by side and get everything on the wall.

Thanks

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I tried it with a turntable many years ago. IIRC the idea was to isolate it from the floor or something.

I don't play lps anymore except to transfer them to cd-r.

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a turntable suspended from the ceiling via a shelf hung by a brass chain. There are floating shelf systems that can hold a lot of weight.
The problem I see with the number of components you have, is the nightmare of ugly wires hanging down. Some things are just not practical.
good luck

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
I use Vogel shelving for my amp and receiver, then use small, unobtrusive shelves for my lighter weight components.

Steve Rabbit

Agent
if you dont mind doing a bit of work, something I can imagine would turn out absolutely amazing would be to remove a small section of drywall to mount a true floating shelf. the drywall gone would let you really get a secure mount and simplify running cabling inside the walls. If one were really really creative, the shelving could be made of plexiglass to further eliminate boundaries.

once the shelving was complete, you would of course tape, mud, orangepeel, and paint over the whole thing minus shelving.

Now you have truly invisible wall mount shelves to place your HT equipment on, stick right out of the wall, no cabling runs up or down the walls, and you cna have as many shelves s you want or can fit from floor to ceiling.

only two hurdles to go over is the pain of mudding your walls/trying to match the orangepeel, and of course the WAF.

but it sounds pretty good to me.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Steve

I had considered something like that until the WAF hit me over the head :)

I think I am going to try an odd flexy design. It will have three wide 40"-48" shelves at the bottom for the components. I am going to keep this portion as low as possible, probably no more than 24". Above that will be 3 shelves that are 6" deep and tall enough for CD's and DVD's.

I think this will clean up the line of sight when you walk in the room as well as appearing to open the room slightly as the bulk is at knee level instead of eye level.

I will post some pics if I go this way.

Steve Rabbit

Agent
if you havent purchased parts, I asked my GF about it last night. apparently there are shelving units you can buy that use steel rod that insert into your wall, then the shelf slidts onto that.

now, in case you cant find anything like htat, how hard could it be to build it yourself! you could go to any tank and steel shop, and purchase some high carbon steel or alloy steel rod. You could also specifically say "hey, im trying to support about 60 pounds or so on three rods, what do you reccommend, or will quarter inch high carbon steel do it", some variation like that.

they might even be willing to cut it into 12 inch lengths for you, or whatever your desired thickness was. I personally would make them about three inches longer than your shelf needed to be.

then you can grab your trusty drill, and drill holes into your stud, id say three inches into the wood itself would be good, or two and a half or so. safe bet would be to drill at a slight slope up, in case there is some elastic deformation with so much weight on the shelf. not too much though!

now you can either pay a shop to gun drill or some other method drill three holes through the side of your shelf, three of them 16 inches apart (Im assuming here the shelf will be about 36 inches wide here, but it could be less, or more, as much or little as posible). The other method, would be to layer ply or some other light strong wood, saving the top layer for your solid hardwood hat matches yoru interior, or just veneer. certainly the edge will need the veneer all round.

then the shelf will simply slide onto your rods, as wide as the shelf is, and be nice and strong. if you ever change your mind, you only have 1/4" holes or so, as many as the shelf is wide in each stud. just a little spackle, and they are gone! your cables will run up the wall of course, but I suppose they were going to anyways.

how about that? passes MY waf at least! especally if we were to find the store bought pre built version.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A wall-mounted shelf idea i picked up while my mom was watching one of these home makeover shows is to cut a length of 1x4 the width of your shelf and mount it to the wall, then make a box out of ply or mdf w/ the back side open that slides over the 1x4 that's on the wall and screws in to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks