What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone else really hate Valentines Day? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Wise words.

On a lighter note, reminds me of something a friend coined as "The GQ Principle": If you want a girlfriend that looks like she was in Vogue, you'd better look like you were in GQ...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"...those who appear to just sit around and mope."

Don't include me in that rather presumptuous statement, Chuck, i've stated repeatadly that I could care less one way or the other, most of the time, about finding someone.

And what if some people are shy and insecure, so what? That's something they need to work on that's all, nobody's perfect.

Yee,
those words are not so wise. They come from a place that assumes everyone is the same in this situation when they are not. They are real-world realists, who know that a "Cindy Crawford" type isn't going to walk in and solve the problem.

quote...
"one day you'll look in the miror, realize your 60 and haven't really lived at all."

:frowning: Great...no pressure their at all.

I don't want to sound mean, Chuck, but give some people here credit for being intelligent adults who know certain things already. Please don't be too offended by this, but your last post is very condesending.

Loneliness doesn't automatically equal unrealism about how the world works. I'm sorry, but certain aspects of your last post just got to me that's all. Until you experience what it feels like yourself to be alone 24-7, for many of your adult years, when you do want someone to share your time with, you can't know how terrible it feels sometimes.

You'll notice I said "sometimes".

I know your just trying to help, but posts like your last one can only make someone feel worse.

quote...
"I despise anything that commercializes love. I despise anything that capitalizes on peoples feelings. And I despise anything that tricks people into believing what love really is."

Now THOSE are wise words! Bravo Mark!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
John, sorry I ruffled your feathers. But this quote really gets one to thinking.

Even before I was married it never occurred to me that I would be alone 24-7, I wouldn't have let it get to that. NO ONE has to be alone 24-7 unless they impose it upon themselves. Nothing, I mean nothing prevents someone from going out into the world and being among people. Valentine's Day (I loathe it as much as you), or any other holiday shouldn't be used as an excuse for the bitterness felt that is actually one's own doing. Often times people get comfortable being the "victim." John, analyze the situation and ask yorself "Why am I alone 24/7?" Whose to blame here, is it the world at large, women? Delve deep enough and you will see that being alone 24/7 is your doing, not women in general or the world at large. We were given "free will" at birth, use it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
But, Chuck, what if someone doesn't enjoy themselves or feel comfortable at the types of places you mentioned, what d they do then, force themselves to go their and be miserable the whole time, just to meet a girl or guy who probably wouldn't be interested anyway because they can tell your not having a good time?

And trust me Chuck, i've delved down deep, i've delved down so deep i've reached China. It's just this simple, girls just don't go for me, that's all their is to it. I've come to terms with that long ago. The reason behind my disliking of this holiday, is that it just introduces alot of unnecessary aggravation into my life and seems to convey the message that if you have nobody, you don't matter somehow.

I can't think of anything more terrible than a whole, government sanctioned, day that makes people feel like dirt just because their alone. It may not matter to alot of you, but to some, alot actually, it matters, it matters a great deal.

It's really going to suck, because my boss has the radio on at work all day and tomorrow i'll be forced to sit their and listen to endless dedications, requests, professions of love and countless radio spots for diamonds, flowers and all that shit. It's going to make me vomit, I can see it coming now. ;) (And i'm only half joking)

Yesterday, I went to the cemetary with a cousin I haven't seen in 20 years to visit my mom's grave for V-day. That is the only significant moment that this day will hold for me.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm in a relationship, but I hate that there's a designated day for love. I didn't do a damn thing special for this weekend except withhold my money from the greeting card, candy, and flower companies ;)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

I hear you. First impressions aren't my strong suit, either. The grocery, the video store, the library, the bike trail... all of these public places that television writers (and Chuck) try to tell us are hotbeds of random life-changing meetings are all pretty much the same - unreturned eye contact, reluctant, nervous greetings offerred in return, reclamation of personal space if I wander too close, etc. I have great relationships with women that are friends and coworkers, but I can't seem to draw in the strangers at all. But like you, I've accepted it.

As for Valentine's Day, I don't really give a shit. Celebrate it. Don't celebrate it. Whatever makes you happy. I can shut it out. Also, I'm a big fan of the free market taking advantage of lazy mates by milking them for as much guilt cash as they can get, but I've never personally been a fan of prepackaged sentiments. Take a piece of paper, fold it in half, and write how you really feel. It's cheap, it's easy, and it actually means something. But I won't pretend that my advice is highly sought after on this subject. ;)

Brad

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Could it be a matter of 5's trying for 9's and 10's?

Are you eschewing the candidates because they aren't "pretty" enough for your initial purview to introduce yourself?

Perhaps, the shotgun approaching of approaching could work, but you have to be prepared to bat around 5%, which isn't great, but one hit is all it takes in this game.

Finding ways to boost your self-confidence and self-esteem could be the keys to unlocking that "unapproachable vibe" you subsconsciously send to those you actually want to attract.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

aaaah Google remembered! :)

Wasn't there a similar "I hate Valentines" thread 3-4 years ago? But come on these threads aren't really about hating Valentines day is it? It's about hating the fact you're still single and making no real effort to go out and make new friends, am I right? No I'm not being evil you're quite comfortable at home, watching dvds, playing playstation, giving yourself a hand shandy when the need arises, but when this day comes along you wonder what the f*ck am I doing? Why aren't I in a relationship? I'm not getting any younger etc. It's like a wake up call. All you need do is make sure in next years Valentines thread you're not in the "I hate the whole world" camp. I know you're all tired of hearing it but "get out more!" it's that simple, unless you weigh 500lbs and can't climb out of bed, well thats a different story. ;)

Personally I think Valentines is a load of crap, if it wasn't for the fact it's advertised everywhere Sandra and I wouldn't even notice it gone by, to us it's just another day.:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would LOVE (no pun intended ;)) to know how many couples (who celebrate it seriously) have mutual feelings about the celbration.

I would wager that for every 100 couples, 99 of those couples has a person who feels like they are being 'forced' into the celebration.

Not to sound sexist, but I would also wager most of those 99 people are men.

RichP

Second Unit
Just wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread for giving me the best laugh I've had in a week!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Someone should package this thread up and rework it into a sketch or stage play, it would be an unabashed riot!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was listening to talk radio yesterday, and the guy that was on was talking about how V-Day is always geared towards women. What do you see and hear in most V-Day ads?

"Get her something special for Valentine's Day."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's because men are conditioned to accept "her" as his gift (yes, a sweeping statement, I'm aware of that, but this thread is full of sweeping statements, why change course now?). Makes shopping for men on this day an unnecessary exercise. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Which is why IIRC in Japan they have another, similar "day" where the women are supposed to get something for the men. Although I'm guessing those of you who "hate" Valentine's, wouldn't approve of that day either.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Sure seems to be the case. Steve, is right. You only increase your chances if you get the frick out of your Lay-Z-Boy. I'm not joking either, I've gotten tons of plumbing side-jobs at the grocery store and Barnes and Noble alone. Just yesterday at the Farmer's Market, I met a very nice looking woman, we chatted for awhile, enchanged numbers, then she started talking(rambling) about taking me ghost-chasing...I'm calling Cingular this morning and changing my number. Kind of a bummer, because she is very attractive..but that huge pentagram tattoo on the back of her neck should have tipped me off. I just know the beyotch is gonna voodoo my ass when she finds my number disconnected....I'm telling you "unhappy being single" guys, grocery, markets...food....man, that's where your pie is.

Happy Valentine's Day

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've just read this entire thread. Whew!

Anyway, I have a wife and we've been married for 10 years, and together as a couple for 15 total. Marriage is not perfect and there are ups and downs all the time. I've been alone without girlfriends for many Valentine's Day's when I was younger, and I've found that V-Day sucks both ways.

When you're alone it's a terrible reminder of what you haven't got and that you're by yourself, and when you're involved in a relationship it's constant pressure on the guy to do the "right" things for his woman. Someone said it's like "24 hours without peace of mind," and that's where I'm at these last several hours today.

I'm off from work this week. We live on Long Island, but the wife works in Manhattan. I've just jumped through hoops to try and arrange a florist to send flowers to her job because she loves to get them at the office. I think it's dumb, it's too expensive, but it makes her happy. Problem is, sometimes the florist screws up the order and sends her the wrong thing; sometimes they can't find the suite she's working in within her building; one year the flowers didn't make it there till after the office closed.

I know it sounds incredibly stupid to even bother, and believe me when I tell you that my wife's no fool and she also can see the "milking of the public" surrounding this money-oriented "holiday". But still, there's that part of her that secretly desires being treated special on V-Day. Not that I don't try to treat her well all year 'round; I DO.

Tonight we'll be doing the "dinner thing", and yeah - it's kind of forced and something that's like an obligation. My wife and I go out to eat all the time anyway and it's one of the things we like to do most together. We don't really "need" to do this on February 14th, but somehow we still want to.

For those who live alone, let me offer my three of four cents. There used to be a time when I thought I enjoyed being by myself, getting full time to enjoy my hobbies and movies and so forth.... but I guess as I get older (early 40s now) I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of ever being alone as life goes on and I get older. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the free time my wife and I allow each other; here I am home on vacation all week by myself (though we'll have another summer vacation together) and I enjoy the free space. One thing about our relationship is that we always do our own thing and never suffocate each other, so it balances out nicely for us. But I have friends who claim they're happy as hell to be alone all the time and I think they're in denial. I just have a hard time buying it.

I'd also urge those who DO want to find someone to GET OUT THERE. Nobody's gonna knock on your door, that's for certain. I really do understand the ones who've said they've tried everything but girls just don't find them attractive and so forth; I say DON'T GIVE UP.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Why would any guy object to a day that allows you to give a girl champagne and lingerie without penalty?

The more days like that, the better. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.