What's new

Anyone else have "floaters"? (eye related) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You know what I mean? Those annoying semi-transparant floating things in your line of sight that resemble water droplets that seem to dart away when you try to look at them? You also have to look at something bright and then squint in order to see them.

They don't really interfere with sight perse' because over time you just get used to them being there, but they can be a nuisance, especially when reading because they "float" into your line of sight and distort the words behind them.

I read up on them when I got my first one about 8 years ago because it scared the crap out of me because I didn't know what it was and it wasn't going away, and according to what I read "floaters" are harmless and are the result of the surface of the iris deteriorating from age, I also read that there's nothing that can be done to get rid of them.

I have about four in my right eye and only one in my left eye, anyone else have these? I did my best to describe what they are.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I have them and asked my eye doctor during my recent every-ten-years eye exam :)

I can't recall specifically what he said but you're pretty much right. He said the only thing to be really concerned about is if you start seeing flashes, then you should consult a doctor ASAP.

-paul

DougR

Second Unit

That's the same thing the Doc told my mother ,when I took her in a few years ago for eye surgery.
I've had them for years and yes they can be a annoyance at times ! :)

mylan

Screenwriter
Just recently I began to get one in my left eye only that would last for five minutes or so and then go away. The circle was dark and round and did dart around a bit when I tried to look at it. This has happened twice in the past week and I think was caused by swimming laps in my pool without wearing goggles. Since I got a pair that floater has not reappeared.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I thought everyone had them, it's just that some folks notice them more than others.

I've heard of a psychiatric case where a woman became convinced that she had snakes in her eyes and no amount of persuasion would get her to think otherwise. Then she tried to get the snakes out ... :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am extremely myopic--to the point where VSP covers my contacts completely as "medically necessary"--and I have lots of floaters in my vision constantly. My brain has gotten to the point where it tunes them out, but if I decide to focus in on them, there they are, and in great numbers.

I have many friends who are in the optometry and opthamology field, and they say that the time to worry is:

1. Large increase in the number of floaters (like if you're used to 4-5 at any one time, and suddenly you get 10-15).
2. The floaters stop "moving away" with your eye movement--you know how when you try to look at a floater it floats away...if that ever stops happening.

Those are warning signs of retinal tears/detachment. Along with a veil or shadow moving across your vision.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've had floaters forever. Now that I read the thread I see them. Usually, I don't notice them.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, I guess i'm okay, my floaters have appeared slowly over the course of 8 or 9 years and they've stabilized, meaning that no more have appeared and the one's the I have have not gotten worse.

They're just, well, irritating sometimes, that's all. In fact, other than the floaters, I have outstanding vision, I can still see the number on a bus when it's 3 blocks away.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Like metioned above, I think everyone has them to some degree. I have a bunch. I first noticed them when I was 7 years old. They appear as dark spots....not see through. I also have the see though kind. They all do move around and I just got used to them. In fact, the other day I did not see them and I started to miss them....but alas...they reappeared. My doctor told me long ago they had nothing to do with my eyesight getting poor. When I was 7 years old I had 20/15 eyesight....I am now 31 and still have 20/15 eyesight.......knock on wood it stays that way for awhile......

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've had them as long as I can remember. 99% of the time I don't notice them.... like Bob, as soon as I started reading this thread I see them... thanks ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I thought floaters were something in the vitrous humour (the gel that fills the eyeball) that was leftover from the development of the eyeball? (Something about the blood vessels that initially fed the development of either the lens or iris, then fell away once development was complete.)

Ah, have a look:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

(Can't believe Wiki actually has an article entitled "Floater"!)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Actually, Yee MIng is right. Floaters are in the vitreous, the transparent gel portion inside the eye. It is not usually debris from the iris but debris from the retina mistakenly extruded out to the vitreous. While having them can be regarded as a normal variant, it is wise to have an exam done by an optometrist or ophthalmologist to ascertain if it is indeed nothing to be concerned about.
Carlo is on the money as these also may signal a more ominous problem like detachments or tears. Flashes along with an increase in floaters or "spots" as people call them is a bad combination.
Nearsighted or high myopes usually have these and r just told to be more vigilant as they r more prone to such detachments/tears compare to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks