What's new

Anyone else get tricked by those Orkin commercials with the bug going on the screen? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I did the first time I saw them. I thought there was a beetle or something on my screen, so I went to kill it, then saw the Orkin Man come on the screen and realized it was a fake bug. I felt stupid.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Actually you're not the only one. When the ads first started appearing, I remember hearing about people who thought the bugs were real too hit their TV or knocked it over, etc. Some even broke their equipment and tried to sue Orkin over it. :rolleyes

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw the commercial on my 27" TV, it freaked me out. I just stared at the screen, but the Orkin guy came on before I got up to get a closer look.
By the way, I imagine that those of us with large displays were not fooled. That would be some large bug! :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just freaked right me out. Cockroaches are one of the most vile creatures

Brent

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I think the ads are humorous. What I can't stand are the Terminix spots, especially the stupid one with the people that have turned their house into a wind tunnel. Very annoying.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I love the Orkin commercials. I do get tricked some times, but the funniest part is how outrageous the beginning of the fake commercials usually are. The fake commercials in their own right are funny but then having this bug go scurrying across the screen....

Jim_F

Screenwriter
As soon as as saw that 3" sucker running across my RPTV I tried to smash it with an aluminum baseball bat.

Boy, was my face red!:b

(Maybe I should add "just kidding" here, knowing what I do about my sense of humor)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm usually so brain-dead in front of the TV that by the time I realize it's a bug, the guy has already popped up and sprayed it.

It takes years of practice to reach this state of zen.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Fools my cats every time. Of corse, so do sports shows. They always want to catch the flying thingies.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think the "fake" commercial is right on. That's what makes the roaches entrance so startling.

Will K

Screenwriter
Yep, the first time I saw the one with the chick in the tub, I thought there was a monster cockroach checking out my Mitsubishi. F**ked with the cat, too.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yep, got me fooled. I completely freaked out, and was very relieved when it turned out to be fake. :) Good commercial.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was talking about these commercials with my sister, and she was fooled by them too. That's why I thought of thisa thread. There's some huge beetles/june bugs(by New Hampshire standards) here, so I thought one got in the house. If I lived in Florida, I'd probably think it was those bigass brown roaches. God I hated them things when I was down there, with them thinking they can crawl up walls and such.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
It could be worse.... You know it's time to clean the apartment when the Orkin man sprays the bug, but there are still two on the screen.....

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've been fooled twice on my 60" RPTV. Once, there really was a cockroach inside the TV, crawling around on the screen.

~T

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
You ain't lived until you've had one of those big-ass cockroaches run up your leg like it was the nearest tree stump. All I can say is - catch them fast. They can MOVE.

Mike

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Since we are on the topic of cockroaches, I have to ask: Can cockroaches fly? There are a lot of cockroaches that get into my house, especially in the summer. A couple of years ago, there was one on the wall in my family room. I took a fly swatter to kill it, and when I was about to swat that ugly, black bugger, the thing flew from the wall, scaring the crap out of me.

~T

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I realised a couple of months ago that what I have been calling roaches all my life were actually waterbugs. Or so I was told.
these are the most vile creatures in this universe.
Last summer in the Bronx, on some friday night I was watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with the windows open (I lived on the sixth floor of a typical NYC building) when I saw one of those on the screen. I jumped up to the light and saw /heard several more running and flapping around the room. The horror that manifested itself in my crawling skin cannot be described. It took a tremendous amount of will power to avoid panic and walk fast out of the room without breaking anything on the way. I didn't sleep at home that night or the next.
That is how much I hate these things.
They flew in while I was watching the movie. Someone must have sprayed one of their hideouts (garbage chute?).
--
Holadem

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I think I recall almost getting up to shoo the bug outta the way. Then I saw the guy spray it. I'm like "Ah ok!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks