What's new

Anybody watching THE COMEBACK? (merged) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was never a huge fan of Lisa Kudrow. I felt
she was good on Friends, but I never thought
her performance in the Analyze This/That was
the least bit funny.
In short, I had no faith in her talent.
About a month ago, all the newspapers were running
reviews for an upcoming HBO show called The Comeback
starring Lisa Kudrow. I'd be damned if I could find
a single lackluster review. The show was being heralded
as "the next big thing."
Based on the reviews I decided I'd give the show
a look. Surprisingly, I loved it!
Basically, the show is set up to be raw footage
of a reality show about an actress who is making
her comeback in a TV sitcom. Kudrow brilliantly
portrays a woman past her prime who is trying to
fit into prime-time television.
The show is now in its third week and I am really
hooked! Watching The Comeback you realize
that this show was tailor-made for Lisa Kudrow.
I was surprised when I searched this area for
feedback on the show, there was none. I'm hoping
there are some of you out there enjoying this show
as much as I am.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
She does so well in this so that while watching it you feel very uncomfortable watching her go thru her trials of trying to get back on top in show biz.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've seen 2 episodes, and I don't find much of it all that funny (except for her hubby letting his bowels loose in episode 1).

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I've been holding on out of faith in HBO. But that voice. Lord!!! Reminds me of the episode on Firends when she was channeling the old dead woman. I realize that the voice and the hair are parts of her character, but it's soooo grating. Doesn't have the innate humerous feel of a Christopher Guest vehicle, or The Office, of which it is clearly progeny.
What I do find interesting;
the husband's delicious discomfort [particularly when he was bare chested in bed, and hands were encroaching to cover him with the bed covers, and of course the bathroom scene].
The hairdresser [bring your Sherpa}
The lead actress so clearly [and humerously] spoofing a Cameron Diaz-esque character. So sunny and bright and giggly, . . . and unknowingly threatening and hurtful.

Oh, . . and I laughed out loud, perhaps the only laugh out loud of the series to date, when Kudrow's character suggested a skit for the upfronts to the head writer, and he mimed shooting her in the head and stole all her mini bottles of booze.

And not to be snarky, but is that newfound tautness around Kudrow's eyes the result of a little nip-tuck? Or is that the natural progression of her looks? Her eye/nose area looks positively chiseled, nearly Joan Rivers-esque, compared to years past.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Ouch, I think this is possibly the worst show ever on TV. HBO should be embarrassed for putting this crap on and cancelling an absoultely brilliant show like Carnivale'.

My wife and I could not even watch this weeks epsiode of the copmeback.
It should GOBACK to wherever it came from IMHO.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I turned off Fat Actress after 8 minutes and never looked back, but The Comeback has been entertaining enough to keep me interested. I do agree that Kudrow's pseudo-Katharine Hepburn voice is quite annoying, but occasional topless shots of Juna offset my discomfort. :D
Still I have to say that it's nowhere near as funny as Curb Your Enthusiasm. So far it's about the same level of entertainment value as The Mind of the Married Man, only completely different.
I hope James Burrows is having lots of fun with his cameo appearances. Considering how many sitcoms and pilots he's directed, I imagine that those scenes are much more fun for the Hollywood audience.
Brad

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My wife and I are enjoying The Comeback, but at one point she said "I feel embarrassed about what they're making Lisa Kudrow go through."
She felt a little better when I told her that Kudrow was a co-creator of the program.
Although she was underused, IMHO Kudrow was the best thing about Friends.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand that this show is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm actually enjoying it.

It took a while to get used to the unorthodox style, and it's not nearly as funny as Curb Your Enthusiasm, but the humor is similar in that it's mainly derived from watching how uncomfortable the lead character is. She's pathetic and so deluded, but somehow it's amusing. I also think Lisa Kudrow is very good.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
My girlfriend and I are enjoying it quite a bit.

It's funny. Kudrow's great.

Think they may exhaust the subject and not need a Season 2, but I expect to enjoy the rest of these 14...

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
it's not nearly as funny as Curb Your Enthusiasm, but the humor is similar in that it's mainly derived from watching how uncomfortable the lead character is. She's pathetic and so deluded, but somehow it's amusing.
I watched the first episode not intending to watch any more episodes after that but I accidently caught the 2nd episode and there was something about it that caught my interest so I decided to record the week after also. I've seen all 4 episodes (there have only been 4, right?) so far and I'm not sure why I keep watching this show since it is almost painful to watch what a fool they make of Valerie. And that head writer, Paulie G, what a MAJOR PR*CK!!! OMG, I want to walk into the TV and slap his smug face. Do you think Hollywood really is as they are portraying it on this show? If so, I have a new found respect for anyone in the business. It really is brutal.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's almost too painful to watch for me...the humiliation that Kudrow's character is put through is not something I especially enjoy. I also flinch every time she says "Good luck" to one of her fellow actors before the show. I was taught that the phrase should be "Break a leg."

I'm still watching. But I prefer Entourage.

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree the show is painful to watch for the
reasons you guys stated above. Still, I find it
quite good for what it is.

You gotta admit the premise of the show is very clever.

I also wonder how realistic some of that Hollywood
attitude is. Very scary if it is realkistic.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It, and the aforementioned FAT ACTRESS, probably do reflect prevailing attitudes in Hollywood--if you are old, overweight, or a "has-been" you are out, and good luck coming back. Agreed, the concept is an interesting one. I wonder if there has ever been a reality show concept around an old star's return?

As I said, I am watching THE COMEBACK, but it kinda feels like a trainwreck--something I have to watch!

- Steve

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I watched the first episode and it made me want to slit my wrists. Seriously.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've watched parts of several episodes, and find it a mediocre show. Kudrow's character is too artificial, as if she's playing a shallow character who is playing an even shallower character. Well, I guess that really is the point of the show, but it's more often tedious and painfully-embarrassing than humorous.

If the show wasn't wholly from the perspective of the reality show, but also showed Kudrow's character as herself, it would allow a more interesting and balanced character.

I can see its appeal on paper and understand that others might really like it. But to me it has become what it tries to parody: a show of a shallow, ego-centric actress trying, and failing embarassingly, to regain fame.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I can see its appeal on paper and understand that others might really like it. But to me it has become what it tries to parody: a show of a shallow, ego-centric actress trying, and failing embarassingly, to regain fame.
I agree. But I have this compulsion, once I start watching a show I have to watch it til the end..or til the end of that season. Think there is a 12-step program for that?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
how badly is it flopping? I've heard HBO is disapointed with its performance. Is it a flop in a "well, this isn't The Sopranos or Sex And The City" or in a "no way in hell is a season 2 gonna happen" way?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I read it averages 1.1 million viewers a week. In comparison, Entourage is averaging 1.4, six feet under 2.4?ish (down from mid 4's last season).

Considering it's not very costly to produce... I can see it getting another season. One of the things that likely killed Carnivale was that the budget just didn't justify the low amount of people that likely had HBO to watch the show. From what I noticed it was bootlegged more than watched...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks