What's new

That Girl (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Before Mary Richards. Before Murphy Brown. There was That Girl.

THAT GIRL aired on ABC from 1966 to 1971. It starred the likable Marlo Thomas as Ann Marie, a would-be actress trying to make it on her own in New York. Ted Bessell co-starred as her magazine writer boyfriend Donald Hollinger. It is typically considered a forerunner to the MARY TYLER MOORE and MURPHY BROWN shows, edging its way into the public consciousness by presenting a "free" and "modern" woman who was basically independent of a husband, father, or boss dictating her every move. Well, her boyfriend does fit that bill, but you get the point, it "presents" itself that way.

THAT GIRL was not terribly successful in the Nielsen ratings when it was in its original run. It never cracked the top thirty in the yearly totals, but evidently the show was a solid performer for its network, a feat usually accredited to Thomas's goofy charm and Bessell's dry sense of humor.

My mother spoke of THAT GIRL a little when I started quizzing her memory on old-fashioned sitcoms. She couldn't remember a whole lot about it, but she encouraged me to check it out for myself. I only have the first season of THAT GIRL on DVD, and I haven't really been compelled to buy any more. Although I find the show cute and enjoyable, it isn't one I can binge because I typically tire of it quick. The performances are decent and so are the laughs, but it gets stale and I'd rather watch something else after two or three episodes. If this was some landmark of television comedy (as it is sometimes billed), then I'd probably have the complete series already. Considering it is your standard sitcom (especially for its time period), I don't think I'll get around to buying the other four seasons anytime soon.

Any fans?

1600693473818.png

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I thought that Ted Bessel was too much the plain-vanilla Ken doll. Marlo Thomas was gorgeous and funny, but wasn't given the kind of quality scripts that she deserved. Poor scripts made this a lackluster series.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I thought that Ted Bessel was too much the plain-vanilla Ken doll. Marlo Thomas was gorgeous and funny, but wasn't given the kind of quality scripts that she deserved. Poor scripts made this a lackluster series.
The scripts were pretty weak, but it does have a certain charm that Marlo Thomas brings to the table. I don't know if I'd say the scripts are "beneath" her (I've never seen her anything else besides LAW & ORDER: SVU), but they need more life, that's for sure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The entire series run is available on Prime for those interested. I watched at least the first three years when it originally aired, so I have sampled episodes from the final two seasons from Prime. Kind of a typical one-camera sitcom of the era with the canned laughter and all. I find it kind of innocuous.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The entire series run is available on Prime for those interested. I watched at least the first three years when it originally aired, so I have sampled episodes from the final two seasons from Prime. Kind of a typical one-camera sitcom of the era with the canned laughter and all. I find it kind of innocuous.
The first three seasons are available on Tubi. That's where I started watching the other two seasons. Well, I should say sampling them and it's taking me a while to do that.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I enjoy That Girl. I grew up watching it with my Mom, so nostalgia may be a factor as I acknowledge it had more that its share of weak scripts.

Season 2 is my favorite. There are two 2-part episodes I really like, one where Ann goes to Philadelphia to try out a Broadway show, and one where she goes to L.A. with a famous fashion photographer to do a shoot for him (and there is actually a continuation of that story later in the season).. Complications naturally ensue, but IMO there is a lot of character development and you really see Don's devotion to her.

Another favorite from Season 2 is called "Sixty-Five on the Aisle" where Ann gets a small but important role in a Broadway play and her father buys sixty-five tickets for friends and family from her hometown to come to The City to see the show. Although the character of the father is often annoying when he scolds and tries to control Ann, I get a little lump in my throat at how proud he is of her in this episode and the lengths he goes to to make this happen.

I also like the two Ethel Merman episodes. They are mostly just a lot of silliness but Ethel's powerhouse personality just makes it all a lot of fun and gives it a legit NYC feel.

One I do not like in S2 is one where Don's mother visits and finds Don's dry cleaning in Ann's closet (she had picked it up for him). His mother gets the idea that he is sleeping there and blames Ann instead of him. I skip that one, it just annoys me no end (even though Don's Mom is played by the wonderful Mabel Albertson, who, concurrently, was Darrin's mom on Bewitched, which was very confusing for a kid!) That story line was old-fashioned even in 1966 and none of her dang business since they are both over 21.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
My wife and I are streaming this and have found season three to be a huge jump in quality. If you want to take a look at THAT GIRL again, consider starting with season three.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I enjoyed watching this when I was a kid. Marlo Thomas was wonderful.

My favorite part was the theme song.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Was Danny Thomas a behind-the-scenes and uncredited producer on this series? I ask because I've noticed many of the same crew listed that worked on his other shows (Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, etc.) I know Marlo was and credited as "A Daisy Production"

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I've only seen a few episodes. I thought it would be unbearably vanilla, but it does have a mild laugh here and there. Marlo Thomas's quirky charm keeps it afloat.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Was Danny Thomas a behind-the-scenes and uncredited producer on this series? I ask because I've noticed many of the same crew listed that worked on his other shows (Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, etc.) I know Marlo was and credited as "A Daisy Production"
To the best of my knowledge, Danny Thomas wasn't involved with the production of That Girl.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I've only seen a few episodes. I thought it would be unbearably vanilla, but it does have a mild laugh here and there. Marlo Thomas's quirky charm keeps it afloat.
That Girl is a pretty lightweight comedy, but Marlo Thomas does bring a charm to the thinness of the plots.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Marlo Thomas is super sweet and lovable.I like the catchy vocal version of the opening theme in the last season.I read that her hair style in earlier seasons was called 'the flip'

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here are interview clips of Marlo Thomas discussing "That Girl"

https://youtu.be/678sLkfTw8E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks