What's new

Anybody buy TV DVD's??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'll offer my observations on this one as a studio/pressed TVD/DVD collector with 2-3 "other" series in the collection:

There's a world of difference in a private collector that keeps certain thoughts to themselves vs one that comments on their wish that we actually don't see certain releases made available from the studios, presumably so that they can enjoy their private collections, regardless of efforts experienced in obtaing them. I have read such comments on this board but it's been a while since that occured. There's also, imo, a difference in members that comment periodically about how some of us were remiss if we didn't spend considerable time and expense to videotape TV shows during the decade of the 80's-90's. For those that did, and have amassed large collections that they enjoy, that's great, seriously. That's one thing. Demonstrating a lack of self-restraint in making certain comments on this forum that implies certain meanings toward other members, that's another situation.

Regarding the amount of effort or expense that someone has chosen to do to obtain non-studio sets, that's their business. It's great but at the same time, I don't agree that someone may perceive that I would enjoy my studio-released sets any less because I didn't join a trading network to obtain the series. I enjoy my TV/DVD sets no less simply because nearly all of the ones in my collection are factory pressed sets.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Regulus

With all due respect, why would you ever pick up TV Guide anymore? That honestly stopped being something worth buying with it went tabloid on us on 2002.

But yes, agree with the points. It can be whatever you want it to be with this habit, although, I personally don't mind "breaking news" stories from time to time. I still personally wish CBS, NBC and ABC would open up their news archives for the big stories.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Great posts, Gary and Jeff. If you'll allow me to quote myself, I think this bears repeating:

Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Life is too short and the hobby too empty without happily sharing the passion for it and inspiring the same in others.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Ain't it the truth? This hobby dies a death of neglect if someone doesn't share it. Sad to say, thanks to the decline of Nick at Night and TV Land and the disappearance of most of these shows in syndication, how is anyone even able to pick up these shows if we don't share either by word of mouth or ceaseless promotion?

Come to think of it, is syndication even viable anymore? With more and more people going to dishes or cable, the smaller access channels are going the way of the dinosaur as well.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Ain't it the truth? This hobby dies a death of neglect if someone doesn't share it. Sad to say, thanks to the decline of Nick at Night and TV Land and the disappearance of most of these shows in syndication, how is anyone even able to pick up these shows if we don't share either by word of mouth or ceaseless promotion?

Come to think of it, is syndication even viable anymore? With more and more people going to dishes or cable, the smaller access channels are going the way of the dinosaur as well.

First run syndication has been pretty much dead since Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Xena, and Hercules went off the air.

Syndication was replaced by UPN and WB. Now, all that's really left in syndication are talk shows, court shows, and the occasional game show.

Sure, there are still successful sitcoms in syndication, but those are all from the last half decade or so. The same shows also on cable channels. Like King of the Hill being in syndication, and on Cartoon Network, or Everybody Hates Chris in syndication and on Nick at Nite.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Wish I could say that surprised me, but it really doesn't anymore. I suppose what would pass for syndication these days might be TBS, TNT, ABC Family and the like, but that's extremely selective, not as all covering as it used to be.

I'm only 33, am I too young to be feeling this nostalgic?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

I'll offer my observations on this one as a studio/pressed TVD/DVD collector with 2-3 "other" series in the collection:

There's a world of difference in a private collector that keeps certain thoughts to themselves vs one that comments on their wish that we actually don't see certain releases made available from the studios, presumably so that they can enjoy their private collections, regardless of efforts experienced in obtaing them. I have read such comments on this board but it's been a while since that occured. There's also, imo, a difference in members that comment periodically about how some of us were remiss if we didn't spend considerable time and expense to videotape TV shows during the decade of the 80's-90's. For those that did, and have amassed large collections that they enjoy, that's great, seriously. That's one thing. Demonstrating a lack of self-restraint in making certain comments on this forum that implies certain meanings toward other members, that's another situation.

Regarding the amount of effort or expense that someone has chosen to do to obtain non-studio sets, that's their business. It's great but at the same time, I don't agree that someone may perceive that I would enjoy my studio-released sets any less because I didn't join a trading network to obtain the series. I enjoy my TV/DVD sets no less simply because nearly all of the ones in my collection are factory pressed sets.

Very well said, Jeff. You hit the nail on the head and I applaud you!

Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Life is too short and the hobby too empty without happily sharing the passion for it and inspiring the same in others.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell, Walker. It's about sharing the passion, not hoarding it. And LOL to The Christmas Carol reference.

Oh, and one last thing and then I promise I'm done with this particular topic. Neil said:

I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was you who had spent a few thousand dollars on film prints and transfers, how quickly you would offer what you had spent that much money on to others who had nothing you wanted, in exchange for "shipping" costs. Somehow, I doubt it.

You'd be wrong. Very, very, very wrong.

Gary "thanks again to Jeff and Walker" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat [/i]. I admit it would be kind of neat if they had a DVD of all the "News Bulletins" that Interrupted a Telecast with a Major News Story over the decades. I have one News Bulletin that I recorded. Back in 1989, I had to work late one Evening, so I timed my VCR to tape the evening telecast of Rescue 911. When I got home, at about 12:30 AM I booted up the tape, and got the Bulletin about the Earthquake that hit San Francisco that year.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Regulus

I always called the Guide most Newspapers place in their Sunday Papers "The TV Guide", not the magazine by the same name.

I admit it would be kind of neat if they had a DVD of all the "News Bulletins" that Interrupted a Telecast with a Major News Story over the decades. I have one News Bulletin that I recorded. Back in 1989, I had to work late one Evening, so I timed my VCR to tape the evening telecast of Rescue 911. When I got home, at about 12:30 AM I booted up the tape, and got the Bulletin about the Earthquake that hit San Francisco that year.

Ah, I was just south in LA back then, remember it well. Especially with the interruption of the World Series and the collapse of the Bay Bridge, to say nothing of the fires in the Marina District.

I also think it would be interesting to see how coverage of the news developed as TV went along, to say nothing of the Sunday morning talkies like Face the Nation and Meet the Press. It's well known how big the death of John Kennedy was to the TV media, but I'm curious what, if any, other news events prior to 11/22/63 were covered by the television media or what may even survive to this day.

We were kind of touching on it earlier, but given their growing resource library, I'm honestly surprised the Paley Center or UCLA haven't reached agreements with DVD production studios to make their libraries available to the public, maybe on an on-demand basis. Be a great way to produce revenue to help store and preserve the archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks