What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any update on Mutiny on the Bounty? (1 Viewer)

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone heard of a release date for the Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty? According to the Warner chat several months ago it was supposed to be released this year.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
most likely October.

the source for that was the leaked HD DVD list for all of '06. Many dates have slipped from that, but they were only HD releases, and the original dates for things like Dirty Dozen and The Searchers did coincide with the standard def version release.
I'm looking forward to it also (but on HD)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
why only on HD ? isn't it true that only a film shot in HD ( like recent Star Wars), would look even better,, but a 1935 grainy black and white film shot on that type of stock film they used for those pictures, will not look any better than you would expect on a regular DVD .. ??

(Kinda reminds me,, of the story .. When you get a stage production shot live, and the video clarity is so good, you start to notice all the imperfections in the torn or worn costumes,, and the make up on the face would also take on that smeared look after the persperation sets in..)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

That's not true. Real film has a equivilent resolution that far, far exceeds HD resolution. But we were actually talking about the 60's film, not the Gable , Laughton original. With 'scope films, the benifits of HD are even more pronounced as fine detail into the middle and backgrounds retains a precision and clarity that is extremely satisfying- especially with a large screen or projector.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
And, from what I understand, even the very best of the HD Cameras available today to shoot motion pictures cannot match 35mm film in terms of resolution. That will change in the future, I am sure.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I am truly sorry I didn't read the post close enough to realize that 'Yes Indeed ' it is the 1962 wide screen color film ..,that is also OOP..

Dooh....

:frowning:
I don't think I would have even thought of posting my comments, had I known it was the 62 print and not the available 35 with Gable.. not Brando..

I would also go along in the feeling that a scope film such as the remake MGM version, would look better in HD.. ( than the 1935 version ).......

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
The 1935 version I am sure would look stunning in HD also.
I had the opportunity recently to view some of the Universal 40's horror films in 1080i broadcast on the Monsters HD Channel and the quality was amazing.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
You know i was just thinking of somthing kind of funny. Brando caught a lot of flack for his performance in that film but I thought it was great. I also loved the diffrent take they had for the ending. It was shown on Turner classic movies last year, I really wish we could get a high deff version of that channel. Anyhoo I would deffinatly buy this if they realse it but I'll buy anything sailing movie. heh

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB was able to make the 1935 version look stunning on DVD... whether it's a film from 1906 or 2006, HD can greatly enhance the quality of the image. I've said it before... I caught one of the restored Harold Lloyd silents in 35mm (Safety Last) and even the great New Line DVD can't match the detail seen in a print. HD will probably come closer, though.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Is this the six-track Dolby Stereo version by Roger Donaldson, as I’m slightly kicking myself for not picking it up two years ago, there is a different version available at the moment on region 2 DVD, on the back of the packing it states it’s Dolby 2.0, now that doesn’t sound good!

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
andySu, this thread is referring to the 1962 remake, which had a true discrete 6-track mix, non-dolby ofcourse.
The Roger Donaldson remake is actually the David Lean / Robert Bolt screenplay, which was updated considerably as the original screenplay was two parts. The titles were 'The Lawbreakers' and 'The Long Arm'. The 'Bounty' featured in this 80's version was also built for the unfilmed Lean project.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Stephen

Arr, sorry for the mistake, “The Bounty” right cotcha mate, still I wouldn’t mind getting hold of the 1980’s version I know there are some three “Bounty films” the one with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins, is someone what rare to get hold of, that is the six-track Dolby Stereo version, I’m sure there’s a shop around the Bournemouth area that has it tucked behind some DVD’s!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks