What's new

Any tips for my KP-46WT500 (1 Viewer)

WilliamCJS

Auditioning
I just got this KP-46WT500 and i have mixed feeling s about it. in the store, i coudnt tell it was projection. I was amazed by the picture and the price and the fact that with a bigger screen, it seemed physically smaller than the 36" direct view.
At home, it's a different story. The projection artifacts are obvious: the angled view is immediately poor, the center of the screen seems obviously brighter and, at least on the regualr cable, everything seems either soft or pixelated.
Any thoughts on how can tweak this to make it a better "everyday" TV. DVDs look great by the way.
Thanks!

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
Well i have the same set and for cable, it just depends on the feed, crap in/crap out. you said dvd's look great so that's good to know. personally my cable looks pretty good on some channel and crap in others. How do you have your picture set? mine is set to pro: picture- 16 notches to the left: Brightness- 8 notches to the left: Color- 4 notches to the left: Hue- middle: Sharpness- 16 to the left. try those setting. Also did you press the flash focus button after the first few hours? also give it time to break in. the picture will improve 10 fold. make sure the cable line is plugged in tight also.

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Are those notches to the left from the default position, that many notches starting from the bar filled all the way up, or number of notches starting from the left?

JackS

Supporting Actor
William- I think you need some tweaking. I just got my set a couple of weeks ago, and I find everything pretty amazing. DVD's are spectacular and standard cable is at least as good as my direct view but better because of the extra real estate. Follow the advise given and I'm sure you'll get it all straightned out. Your post is the first negative I've seen so far and feel as long as we can avoid the flicker, this should be an excellent set. Good luck, Jack

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
From the default. when you press menu you see the pic mode your in and the adjustments. than you click on pro to adjust it. now you can adjust it. Asumming you have not adjust the pro setting yet, than youbegin the adjustments. in pro the default of the setting are in the middle. from the middle to left i do my clicks. hope i explained that well. seems sloppy the way i said it :)

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
You really should invest in Avia to calibrate the TV. The $35 investment will be the best thing you can do for the TV right now.

WilliamCJS

Auditioning
Sorry to sound negative; in fact my opinion has already been tweaked. Maybe it is the breaking in period or the fact that when i got home the other night the salute to the Queen concert was on PBS and i enjoyed the heck out of it.
Or maybe my eyes are adjusting.
I will get the disc mentioned. Right now i have to concerntrate on upcoming trip (to paris, woo!). When i get back and start in on this i will have a report.
Thanks!

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks Gilbert, I was a little confused reading it but when I went to try it, I realized that my post sounded pretty dumb. Since the settings look terrible if I turn it up all the way then down a few notches or vice versa.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend using movie mode and dropping the picture and brightness controls by about 50%. Also drop sharpness to about -19. Also drop the color control by about 30% and drop the hue 1 notch. These are the settings I got w/Avia and the picture is spectacular on DVD and pretty good with cable, although cable quality depends on the source -- OTA sux but HBO, CNN, etc all look pretty good.

--John

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, I wanted to get Tony Hawk 4 or NBA 2K3 for Xbox because they have 720p.

Hi Scan 1080: Enables you to receive the 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i digital TV formats. By using the VIDEO 5/6/7 IN jacks, you can connect a DTV (digital television) receiver to view DTV programs.
Thats a quote from the owners manual. Its very deceiving, nothing in the book is mentioned about not being able to watch 720p material or down converting it to 480p.

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
William. The symptom you described about the middle being brighter may have to do with the lenses needing stripping. I have this TV and before I had it ISF calibrated, there was a noticeable color/brightness imbalance from left to right.

The Avia disk will help you get your colors better and get your contract to a safer level, but as far as pixleation goes it's the source. I have the same issues going from DVD (AMAZING) to Sattelite (meh, not bad, but not great). Unfortunatly going to a bigger screen really brings out the shortcommings in non-DVD formats.

Pop for calibration, that will make a big difference or at very least, if you are handy, restack the screens so the protective one is in behind. The reducion in glare /reflection is astounding.

Cheers,
Chris

Alayn

Auditioning
HI!

New member and first post.

I'm probably asking about this in the wrong place, but you can put me in lign.

I'm shopping for a big ass tv and considering the sony kp51ws500 or kp46..., among others like the tosh 50hdx82.
Anyway my question is where the hell I can get an Avia disk, as this has come up all the time in reading through threads like this one and at the spot(!) I'm in Toronto and would love someone to throw me a bone. Noone at Future Shop or Bay or Sears know what the frick I'm talking about.

Please help! Also, are there any opinions on whether Toshiba has any advantages over the Sony in their 50" hdx or kp51ws...?

Thanks for all the info I got lurking and see ya;)

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Alayn. I ordered mine from direct from ovation you can probably get it cheaper if you shop around a bit.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. Not sure about the Toshiba, my final choices came down to Hitachi and Sony, and I went with Sony because 46" was just right for my room.

Alayn

Auditioning
Chris,

Thanks. This helps. Boy; expensive dvd. Must be "all that" eh?

Keep on lovin' the TV!

Catch ya 'round
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

JackS

Supporting Actor
Otis- Reading the forums it appears very few if any RP's display a native 720p signal. As I understand it, in the Sony it is up converted to 1080i which depending who you listen to, is as good or better, but others say no. Maybe someone with an educated opinion could clear this up for us. Jack

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
RPTV--- WV600 and 700 series= upconverts to 1080i
RPTV--- WS500 and WT series= downconverts to 480p

When fed 720p signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks