What's new

Opinions needed for KP-46WT500 and KP-51WS500 (1 Viewer)

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
Currently I have a 27" Wega. The two TVs listed in the thread title are the ones I am considering. If someone who owns either of these sets could offer their opinion I would very much appreciate it.

I'm specifically looking to know:

1) Are you happy with your purchase?
2) Were there any major defects with the unit?
3) How is the PQ?
4) Would you recommend it?
5) Any other general comments you can add...

Another question I have is whether or not it's worth waiting for the new models. On one hand they might be better, but the current models are being discounted to get rid of them.

Also, what price would be a good deal for these units? I plan on making my purchase when BB has their 10% coupons. I'm also going to try to save an additional percent/amount and offer to pay for the unit with Cash in full. Any tips on that?

I should also mention I am 17 years of age, so this is a fairly big purchase for me.

Regards,
Adam

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
i have the 46wt500 and i am very happy with the set. no problems at all. Dvd's look great on the set and i hear hd is excellent. cable is good depending on the feed. i've had my since Dec. 2002 and paid a little over $1600 for it. i also got the ext. warranty so it came out to about $2100 with tax.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I own the kp46wt500. I'd buy it instead of waiting for a newer model. The set's outstanding performance and overall reliability is worth the price. To me, this is more important than having the newest and coolest set. Using a computer software analogy, this TV might be like v1.99. Solid and well tested. What if the next model is v2.00? Then, you would have to live with the bugs and wrinkles that are always created with the introduction of any new features.

5) Any other general comments you can add...
The kp46wt500 is simply a great product, right down to the remote control. I highly recommend it.

Sean.

scottS

Grip
Do a search in home theater groups on "sony" and "flicker". There are many unhappy sony owners out there. How big a problem is it? Who knows. Sony claims 1% failure rate for RPTVs in a certain ser no range, but!!! The fix requires replacing all three CRTs plus resistors.

scott s.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
The flicker problem is isolated to a specific range of serial numbered units. If memory serves, the only model affected is the 51". With that said, it is highly unlikely that you'll find these potentially defective units in unsold store inventory. By now, all in-stock inventory has been replaced with newly manufactured units with serial numbers not falling within that range. In short, I don't believe there is anything to worry about, at least not from this known issue.

But this is another example of Sony standing by their product, and replacing defective parts with new replacements. Every manufacturer experiences defects like this. However, very few actually publish an official service bulletin and admit the problem. Some manufacturers have been known to leave defects unreported, at least "officially". Sony, however, went so far as to extend the manufacturer's warranty for this serial # range an additional year, to give people more time to replace their defective parts at no charge.

Just some thoughts.

Sean.

Frank_Ber

Agent
I have the KP-46WT500 (Mfg.03/2003) and I agree with what been said by the owners above. Great PQ, tweaked with S&V and red push.

I would say wait for the new model since this set converts 720p to 480p and not to 1080i if that is important to you. The new model, 46WT510, will convert 720p to 1080i. Right now, that is the only diff. that I know. All the current Sony 51'+ all convert to 1080i.

scottS

Grip
Serial Numbers Affected:

Sets with the following serial number ranges may be affected:

KP-51HW40 and KP-57HW40 models: Serial numbers which have a Zero in second digit, i.e. 90xxxxx. (not applicable with other models).

WS500 models: KP-51WS500 (9000001 – 9020557)
KP-57WS500 (9000001 – 9014575)

XBR2 models: KDP-57XBR2 (9000001- 9000565)
KDP-65XBR2 (9000001 – 9000340)

Note that some owners claim problems with other ser nos/
models.

I hope the problem is solved and inventory removed, but buyer beware. It seems to take 1000 hours for the problem to show up.

scott s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks