What's new

International Any Thoughts On The Long Awaited "Sodom and Gomorrah" Anyone get it yet? (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Explosive has its own website (https://www.explosive-media.com) and has released some nice peplum, neo-noir and western classics. I inquired as to whether they might be able to arrange to "improve" another pan-and-scan debacle like the Fox S&G. That is Raoul Walsh's Esther and the King, which was also released wide-screen in Germany as a DVD some years ago. Titanus has the European rights for both. No reply as of yet. Explosive is obviously proud of their S&G blu-ray and has every reason to be. Just hope for more Sword and Sandal in future!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes just received the German release a week ago and I am very happy with the video/audio quality. A very big improvement when compared to the many DVD versions.
Ernist, did you ever find out the reasoning behind a beardless jewish Lot? Don't get me wrong, I love Stewart Granger, but historicly Lot, Abraham's relation, would traditionaly have one...? I quess it all about the box offic, but after all Charlton Heston sported a fair one in the Ten Commandments, right?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Ernist, did you ever find out the reasoning behind a beardless jewish Lot? Don't get me wrong, I love Stewart Granger, but historicly Lot, Abraham's relation, would traditionaly have one...? I quess it all about the box offic, but after all Charlton Heston sported a fair one in the Ten Commandments, right?
It's called Moabite License

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw this the week it was issued at the Fox Theater in Pomona, California. I was very young, and I thought this was one very very 'hot' picture. Whether it actually is nor not, I don't know. I do not remember a single scene anymore, just that I really really liked it. Is there a pillar of salt involved? I hope I have a chance to see it again some day. Was it filmed in Cinemascope? Dubbed into English? Cannot remember .

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I saw this the week it was issued at the Fox Theater in Pomona, California. I was very young, and I thought this was one very very 'hot' picture. Whether it actually is nor not, I don't know. I do not remember a single scene anymore, just that I really really liked it. Is there a pillar of salt involved? I hope I have a chance to see it again some day. Was it filmed in Cinemascope? Dubbed into English? Cannot remember .
salt bae horses GIF by Mane 'n Tail

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I saw it in elementary school, with a double feature of something else I think it was "Kiss Of The Vampire " maybe ?
I wonder why this couldn't be released stateside ? I don't understand how these foreign countries release all these films ? Who in their general population demands to see so many films that aren't release in their countries ? This film isn't like "The Ten Commandments" or "The Greatest Story Ever Told".

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I saw it in elementary school, with a double feature of something else I think it was "Kiss Of The Vampire " maybe ?
I wonder why this couldn't be released stateside ? I don't understand how these foreign countries release all these films ? Who in their general population demands to see so many films that aren't release in their countries ? This film isn't like "The Ten Commandments" or "The Greatest Story Ever Told".
For some reason here in the states Fox owns it meaning all we are getting is the old MOD pan and scan dvd, although FXM has shown it letterboxed it is still the horrendous print. UPDATE Just checked - the film was released in the states by Fox so thats why they air it on FXM and released the MOD dvd. But with Disney now owning this I guess a Blu Ray here is not happening anytime soon

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Who is in this? I have a dim memory, or maybe I read it somewhere --- Pier Angeli?

I'd sure like to see a good disc of this. Memories.
Yes she is in it as is Stewart Granger and Stanley Baker.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
For some reason here in the states Fox owns it meaning all we are getting is the old MOD pan and scan dvd, although FXM has shown it letterboxed it is still the horrendous print. UPDATE Just checked - the film was released in the states by Fox so thats why they air it on FXM and released the MOD dvd. But with Disney now owning this I guess a Blu Ray here is not happening anytime soon
You're not trying to say that Fox released Sodom here in the US as pan-and-scan - it's a 1.85 movie. Nothing to do with pan-and-scan. The worst it could be is open matte at Academy ratio, or full frame zoomed in a bit.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
You're not trying to say that Fox released Sodom here in the US as pan-and-scan - it's a 1.85 movie. Nothing to do with pan-and-scan. The worst it could be is open matte at Academy ratio, or full frame zoomed in a bit.

Matt Hough review

"The film was originally presented in 1.85:1, but this 1.33:1 presentation isn’t the open matte frame with loads of headroom. Rather, it’s a weirdly zoomed in and then cropped image with characters often cut in half on either side of the frame and yet sometimes still with ridiculous amounts of headroom showing! "

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks