What's new

Any sealed sub projects out there? (1 Viewer)

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone has seen any sealed sub designs that I might look into building. Possibly something small like the Sunfire or Velodyne units.

Also are are there any benefits or disadvantages to a small sealed as opposed to a large vented?

Greg

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Greg, with small sealed subs you will not get near the bottom end output as a vented/PR subwoofer design. This is just a tradeoff.
If you are looking for a sealed enclosure, go to www.adireaudio.com and check out the spec sheets for their Shiva and Tempest. They have designs for sealed enclosures for each driver.
Actually, what is your budget for enclosure, subwoofer, and amp? That is the first thing we need to know to help you.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I just finished building a 230 liter (8 cu. ft.) sealed Tempest. I know it's not very small but I wanted it to go really low and really loud. If you can tolerate the box size then this design is awesome. with this sub I should be able to match or outperform the velo or the sunfire sub and it only cost $200 -the cost of the amp. you can see a pic of it on my web page here http://ryans_ht.tripod.com/
Ryan

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I just finished a sealed project a few weeks ago. Dual Shiva based subs that also double as speaker stands. I also built a small Rava clone a few months back. You can see them all here Eric's speakers. All of these are based on the Adire Shiva application designs.
-EJ

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am building a sealed BP 1503 in a 17.5in^3 enclosure. If you use plywood you could go as small as 16^3. I have a class D Crest LT-1000 with 1300 watts going to it. It will have plenty of muscle at any frequency. It should be completed in less then a week. I will have pics.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have a Blueprint 1803 that's been sitting around just waiting for an enclosure. Now that my K2 is on the way, it's time to start building!

I'm looking at a 4ft^3 sealed enclosure stuffed to hell and back! I'm hoping to yield a perceived volume of around 5ft^3. I'll use a BFD to tame peaks and boost low end response. Should be quite scary. I imagine around the time I'm done with it Adire will have that new 15" driver on preorder and of course I'll have to buy one of those too!

Brian

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
Pete,

They dont require a very big box, as there Vas is tiny for the 1503. With about .75 lbs of polyfil I have a Q of about .63. I have heard the thing open air and it is even pleasant to listen to. It should be a real house wrecker.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
sealed BP 1503 in a 17.5in^3 enclosure
Greg
The smily at the end was for the typo.
If you used 3/4" material, a 17.5in^3 enclosure would be equivalent to a 3.35" cube. :)
Of course you really meant a 17.5" cube, which has a volume of 2.37ft^3.
Pete

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just finishing up a 1 cu ft Dayton DVC 12" that has really impressed me. With a ~1.5 dB boost at 20 hz on the PE 300-794 amp, I'm only 3 dB down at 20 hz, with the woofer against the wall of my 2-car garage. I used a SubZero car box, but you could use the PE 1 cu ft box or build your own, and not be much bigger than the Sunfire clones. The amp and driver cost less than $300 shipped, so the price is right. I haven't done max-SPL tests, but it models at about 110 dB at 30 Hz. All-in-all, a very potent package for it's size and price.

Peter

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
I was lookin to use the 1503 or the 1803 in a sealed project (or maybe a PR..but i probably cant afford it) for my next project. What is the smallest I could go with it and still get a lot of output? (right now I have a shiva in a 2.5ft^3 sealed enclosure and I'd like to have more volume/deeper extension) Lookin forward to hearing how your sub turns out Greg P.

A

Anthony_Gomez

what to do with 2 1503's, a Crown K2 and a length of sonotube:D
sub.jpg

system.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks