What's new

Any reviews of The Sure Thing SE? (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Picked this one up last night at Best Buy, and in one fell swoop completed my Rob Reiner (along with Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally) and John Cusack (along with ...say Anything, and Serendipity) romantic comedy trilogies.

The movie itself is just as charming as it was back in 1985. (I can dipose of my worn out VHS version now.) I haven't seen all of the extras yet, but what I have seen is okay. There's a pop-up trivia track that is hard to read on my 27 in screen. I actually prefer the way the Star Trek SEs run their trivia in the black space at the bottom of the screen, much less distracting, easier to read, and doesn't block out any of the frame itself.

The only other bummer is deleted scenes that are mentioned in the trivia track, or retrospective, but didn't survive to be included on this disc. I would have liked to have seen them.

Anyway, I'm biased, but it was well worth the $14.99 I dropped for this DVD, and I fully appreciate the magnitude of my (no longer impending) good fortune.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Great flick, surprisingly good transfer, and lots of extras. If I had to nitpick at all, the 5.1 track was pretty weak, but this is a low budget 1980's comedy originally shown in mono. No real shocker there.

And please take note Paramount. MGM put together a terrific SE for The Sure Thing at a ridiculously low price. WB included a commentary for One Crazy Summer. Fox gave us everything but the kitchen sink for Say Anything. You crapped out a completely bare bones DVD for Better Off Dead with a mediocre transfer and a $29.95 list price.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
You crapped out a completely bare bones DVD for Better Off Dead with a mediocre transfer and a $29.95 list price.
Actually, Better Off Dead listed at $24.95. I got it when it first came out for $16.xx.

I'm still waiting for my copy of The Sure Thing to show up from DDD. I think it's great that they included some decent extras, but I have to admit that I mainly just care about the movie. And I'll finally get to retire my old BETA copy.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Sure Thing was waiting in my mailbox when I came home last night! What a great movie.

I only watched the first half of it, but I enjoyed it. I had the trivia track on, and that was neat. I thought some of the trivia was not centered on the movie enough, but all in all, not bad.

This has got to be one of my favorite John Cusack films.
The writing is great, and so is the acting.

Spontaneity has its time and place.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
$24.95 list price.
...and I bought it on the release date for about $16 because it was in its OAR with the original sound mix and the film is what's most important to me. Extras are nice, but they are ... uh ... extra.

That being said, The Sure Thing is a terrific disc for the money, and one of my favorite films from my High School days. It could have been priced $10 more and for me it still would have been a ... uh ... Sure Thing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
and John Cusack (along with ...say Anything, and Serendipity) romantic comedy trilogies.
I'd say that High Fidelity completes the Cusack romantic comedy trilogy better than Serendipity. Didn't like that movie at all, in fact I found it annoying. In High Fidelity he's more of a tortured soul. I'd also add Grosse Point Blank before Serendipity.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hmmm? Maybe "Serendipity" and "America's Sweethearts" can be viewed as the first two installments of a Cusack "Bad Romantic Comedy" trilogy. :laugh:

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks