What's new

Any Hitchcock's Rebecca Re-Release Rumors? (1 Viewer)

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
After regaling her mom with the ins and outs of the plot and characters of Laura, my 12 year old daughter's mom has convinced her that she just must see Hitchcock's Rebecca . Except for $60 used copies, I can't find it anywhere. Any news or rumors on its re-release?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
DVD Empire has the Criterion Edition for $29.00. And the Hitchcock Collection edition is about $15.00 at BestPrices.com. I'd go with the Criterion.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This titles is owned by Disney. Selznick productions became part of the ABC library, which was purchased by Disney in later years. Disney has mainly been licensing out the ABC films, first to Anchor Bay and Criterion, and now to MGM. Indeed, MGM has released some Selznick/ABC/Disney titles already (e.g., Garden of Allah). The ABC license has now likely been inherited by the consortium that recently bought MGM (it's probably unlikely that the license was set to terminate should MGM be bought up).

Anyway, there haven't been any definitive plans announced. ABC titles have been coming out rather randomly. Since Disney spent a good deal of time and money restoring their ABC Hitchcock titles (this one, along with Notorious and Spellbound), they may have something special planned for it.

DJ

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

As much as I'd like to believe that, I wouldn't count on anything. ABC/Disney spent a good deal of money on a digital restoration of Selznick's NOTHING SACRED(1937) in Technicolor shortly after acquiring the library about five years ago. As of yet, a dvd of that has yet to see the light of day.

The Criterions are the only way to go on the Hitchcock's, grab em while you can.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
There are also the Anchor Bay editions of REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARRADINE CASE, which are long out of print but can be found relatively cheaply (especially since Criterion's releases supplanted three of them). Call 'em budget-minded alternatives to the Criterions, although you're missing out on some great extras. The transfers on the Anchor Bays aren't top notch, but they certainly aren't objectionable.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I had the AB Rebecca before upgrading to the Criterion. If all you need is to watch the film, the AB is more than adequate. The transfer is very good and I doubt that your daughter would get hung up over the differences between AB and Criterion.

Steve

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
While the Criterion versions clearly are superior for the special features, the AB transfers are right up there with the Criterion. In fact, I believe the AB Notorious transfer is superior to the Criterion, but that's a whole different topic.

For just the movie, get the AB versions. If the supplements are that important, get the Criterions.

Jeff

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is from The Bits, May 2004:

We also have confirmation of the titles coming in November as part of MGM's Alfred Hitchcock promotion from the studio. These will include The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, The Paradine Case, Rebecca, Sabotage, Spellbound, The Thirty-Nine Steps and Young & Innocent. They'll be available in a box set and separately as well.

Like MGM's David Lean set, that seems to have vanished into the ether. And now we have the Sony takeover complications...

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
The Korean R0 release of Rebecca, which happens to be a Criterion port, is available cheaply, but it's missing the second disc. I've got it, and it's marvelous. Good quality disc manufacture.

Todd Calhoun

Agent
Ira, the Los Angeles Public Library has the DVD at a few branches. According to the online database, the Anchor Bay disc is available here:

Atwater Village Branch
Eagle Rock Branch
Exposition Park Bethune Regional Branch
Granada Hills Branch
Harbor-Gateway Branch Library
Central Library - Popular Library
San Pedro Regional Branch
Studio City Branch
West Los Angeles Regional Branch
Westchester-Loyola Village

I've also seen the Criterion at a couple branches.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Be wary of Library copies. I borrowed "I Want To Live" and "Rebecca" and couldn't watch neither due to how scratched up they were. Almost every single disc I borrowed I had to at least clean the disc to get it to play.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. Thanks especially to Todd. Following your suggestion, Todd, I confirmed that the West Los Angeles Branch of the LA Public Library had the Rebecca DVD and I picked it up today.
Tonight my daughter gets to see it. And, knowing her, we'll be watching an encore showing tomorrow. Thanks, again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks