What's new

Any Hitachi TV techs here? (1 Viewer)

Robert Holmes

Auditioning
The Hitachi 36SDX01S has an aspect ratio mode (similar to anamorphic squeeze on the Sonys) that squeezes the 4:3 display into a perfect 16:9. Unfortunately, it doesn't squeeze enough for DVD's. The mode was really made for a 16:9 HD tuner. If you multiply a typical 1.85:1 movie by 16:9, you get 16.65:9. It's noticeable enough to realize people's heads are slightly enlongated. One thing about this TV is only the component inputs have this feature, so I am *hoping* I can squeeze it a bit more and have it not affect the other inputs.
If I ever get an HDTV tuner, it will go in via the VGA input (like the RCA DTC-100 tuner) so it won't be affected by this modification on the component. Of course, if I squeeze the component input more and it affects all the other modes, I won't be a happy camper.
In either case, I don't know enough about the service menu to adjust that parameter. If any Hitachi service techs know the answer to that question, you will make me and a bunch of other 36SDX01S owners on AVSForum & here very happy.
-Robert

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I'm not a Hitachi tech (sorry), but I was curious about something you posted and wondered if you could expand upon this just a little:
The Hitachi 36SDX01S has an aspect ratio mode (similar to anamorphic squeeze on the Sonys) that squeezes the 4:3 display into a perfect 16:9. Unfortunately, it doesn't squeeze enough for DVD's. The mode was really made for a 16:9 HD tuner. If you multiply a typical 1.85:1 movie by 16:9, you get 16.65:9.
Any movie which is actually 1.85:1 presented on DVD will actually be slightly letterboxed and presented in a 1.78:1 (16x9) frame.
Instead of getting 16.65:9 as you mentioned, with 1.85:1 dvds you get an image which is fixed width and variable height: you get a 16:8.7 slightly letterboxed in a 16:9 frame.
This is the same as 2.35:1 films, which end up as 16:6.8 letterboxed in a 16:9 frame. f you ahve a device which sqeezes these aanamorphic images into a 16:9 frame, they should end up formatted correctly, unless I've misunderstood your post.
I have calibrated my projector for a perfect 1.78:1 image- and 1.85:1 dvds work fine (again- they have a slight 3%letterboxing to maintain the wider than 16x9 ratio, but they are not elongated nor require any special squeeze mode).
Again- I was just curious about this issue. DVDs, even perfect 1.85:1 transfers should be formatted exactly the same as the HDTV 16:9 material... just anything wider than an actual 1.78:1 would be slightly letterboxed. You shouldn't need any additional squeeze to format this material.
So, I think I must have misnderstood your post and would love to get a firmer grasp on this specific issue.
Thanks
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Robert Holmes

Auditioning
The control on the Hitachi is called Aspect ratio. It has two modes for component input, 4:3 and 16:9. It doesn't advertise itself as a squeeze for anamorphic DVD's. The manual actually states it is for receiving 16:9 HDTV broadcasts. Whatever the aspect ratio of a widescreen DVD is on the media, it isn't quite squeezed enough on my Hitachi. It's about 2" too tall on my 36" TV. There are no user adjustments to be made on this TV, but if somebody knew how, perhaps a service menu adjustment.
It's not a matter of millimeters, because I could live with that and it wouldn't be noticeable. It's apparent enough to realize it wasn't made for anamorphic DVD's, although that's what I intend to try to correct it for. As far as I can tell, it truly does a squeeze to maintain vertical resolution. It's not just letterboxing and throwing out usable lines. Quite nice if I could make it squeeze a bit more!
-Robert

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to move this to the TV area. Though it is advanced I think the chances of it getting read by people who can answer may be higher there.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

James Barnett

Auditioning
A kind soul by the name of Dre Witt once gave me these instructions, and I don't think he'd mind me posting them here:
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything you do while you are in service
mode... Blah, blah, blah...
Make sure you have the Auto color off, the tint in the middle, and the color
at the level you want it at before turning off the set. You can't adjust them
while you're in service mode. Also, make sure you're adjusting through the
S-Video input (This will give you more viewing options if you're using an A/V
switcher or receiver.)
Turn the TV Off... While the TV is off, press the menu button and the power
button at the same time (On the TV panel, not the remote.) After three to
five seconds release them. The Green power light should turn orange, and in
the bottom left hand corner you should see in red, two lines. The top line
should read P000, the bottom line should read 000. If the menu does not pop
up, turn off the TV and try again. It could take a few tries, or come on
right away. If it does work, keep trying, it's a timing thing. It sometimes
took me up to fifteen minutes to get in.
Okay... If you see the two lines you're almost in; you now have to do the
following. Press Volume up until the bottom number reads 020. This is the
access number. Then hit channel up or down. Now you're in. The top line
should read P01, and bottom line should have a number setting.
Channel Up and Down control your selection in the top line, Volume Up and
Down changes the setting in the bottom line. Word of warning.... Copy down
all the settings for 'P' and 'D' before you adjust any.
And no matter what do not touch the menu button when you're in service
mode!!! When you do this the whole picture is reduced to one line... If this
happens tap menu again and it should be restored to normal. DO NOT TURN THE
TV OFF when the picture is just one line, I don't know if it will return to
normal once turned on again.
The Vertical size setting is adjusted using D16. The factory setting was
somewhere around 112. I set this using a 4:3 circle and a 16:9 circle to 92.
The 4:3 picture is squished about a half an inch, and the 16:9 picture is
still too tall by about a half an inch. Call it a compromise. I can't really
see a difference since I sit nine feet from the set.
Don't screw around with the other "D" settings because they all control
picture geometry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks