need help picking out a new tv.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fernate, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Fernate

Fernate Auditioning

this is actually for my parents. i was so happy when she told me the other day they were looking for anew tv. they've had the same ge 25" for about 15 years. there's a coax in and a coax out, and that's the extent of the features on that beauty. there are knobs to adjust the picture too, really high tech stuff.
    anyway they are looking for a new tv. my mom pointed out the hitachi 43FDX20B in the sears ad for this week. i don't really know much, that's why i'm here. i saw the sony wega KV-36FS200 for $1299 + free shipping + a free stand at best buy. i've heard that the fv series is better than the fs though.
    well there budget is around $1500 or so, maybe a little higher. should they be looking at something hd? i'd hate them to buy something non hd then have to buy a whole new tv in a couple of years just for the hd. they did have the same pos for around 15 years remember, so buying something agan soon isn't really something they would want to do.
    anyway, i'm rambling now. if you've got any suggestions on a new tv for my parents. we'd really appreciate the help.
    p.s. the room is about 13' by 18'. they have a dvd player, and get regular cable. thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With a budget of $1,500 they should most definitely be looking at the newer technology. The much-praised 47-inch Panasonic can be found at a number of stores for around $1,500 or so. It makes no sense to spend more than $1,000 on an NTSC-only set.

3. Fernate

Fernate Auditioning

Jack Briggs
    what's the model number of that 47" panasonic? i'd like to check it out. thanks for the reply too.

4. Jack Briggs

No problem, that's what we're here for. The Panasonic PT-47WX42 can be had for $1,600 at Circuit City.

5. Fernate

Fernate Auditioning

i just looked on panasonic.com and there is a pt-47wx52 for $200 more. they look pretty much the same. the wx52 has an as2 screen shield in the description and the wx42 doesn't. what's the word on this one? or should i stick with the wx42. it looks pretty good to me. and it's right in their price range. thanks for the help, i'm going to keep looking around.

6. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

I bought the same Sony 36" wega set your talking about, a few weeks ago. I got it as an open box from Sears for $779 so I couldn't pass it up. I did have to buy the matching stand for $200 but it was still worth it. Its a nice TV for the money. Probably the biggest tube TV you can still buy. If you get one be careful when you move it because it weighs 220lbs!!!
    Good luck.

7. Jack Briggs

FYI, the largest direct-view sets available are the Sony KV-40XBR800 and the 38-inch, 16:9 Loewe Aconda.