Need help with a new Rear Projection TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Larry_Brown, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

Looking for help deciding WHICH RPHDTV to purchase.

There are not a lot of good online or print reviews on these sets and they all look pretty much the same picture wise on the show room floor (OVERBLOWN and VERY colorful! LOL!) ..... AND the ones that don't look good as the rest....are they subpar or mis-adjusted???

So far here's what I've come down to (in no particular order):

(I'd really like two HDMI ports for future expansion; however right now NONE of my equipment has an HDMI output - so one input for the HD cable box could suffice.....and IF I go the cable card route and deal with TV Guide's shortcomings, then the upconverting DVD future purchase would have a home in the HDMI)

Hitachi 50V720/50VF820/ - Pros: LOVE the uncalibrated picture and the overall look! choice depends on which one I can get the best deal. I really liked the looks AND performance of the Ultravision series, however in my livingroom I am very leary of reflections off the glass front of that series.

JVC HD52BP6 52" - Pros:Nice picture & look.... S&V gave it a good review Cons:newer LCoS tech that has had problems for other manufacturers, very little info. Salesman told of friend who is waiting a LOOOOONG time for a part (highly discouraged it as a considerstion)

Sony 50A10/55A20 - Pros: liked the picture and the look. Sony design is always a plus. Cons: dislike the hidden speakers (A10) & Sony brand has been problematic for me in all their electronics - lifespan not what I expected.

Mitsubishi 52527 - Pros: PRICE! $2000 with stand and 2 year warranty. Good luck with my current Mits and general good reputation Cons: Older LCD - blacks not great. Looks like a overgrown TV rather than plasma-ish. Have looked at in 3 different stores and color always seems a tad off compared to all other displays (hard to say 'it's just set up wrong') The one TV I actually spend a bit of time plaing around with the adjustments and I could never get it quite as good as the sets on either side. At the very least, with this set, a pro calibration would be a must! (I'm leaning on doing it whichever set I buy, but....)

RCA Scenium HD50LPW175 - Pros Picture looks decent. Good review in S&V and PRICE $1699 at Best Buy (and a neighbor gave us a $350 gift certificate there.....so out of pocket is $1349!) Cons: Hey, I'll admit to some snobish dislike of an RCA brand on my BIG screen [​IMG] Also, both Best Buys I tried have it displayed on the upper rack where comparisions are not as easy (but the picture looks darn competative).

Ok.......please feel free to bombard me with your impressions....likes.....dislikes......and experiences with these or any similar TV's.

Larry

One more thing.......is it better to buy at a pre-Super Bowl SALE.....or are the prices generally better POST SB (I think that time of year is generally soft for retail in general...no?) Everything I've been reading says that plasmas are coming down and they will force the RPTV's down even lower. (yeah, I know......electronics always come down and you gotta jump in SOMETIME; however, I get the impression that we are near a real drop - at least for current technology RPTV - which is more than goood enough for me) [​IMG]

2. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

FWIW here is my .02.....

I guess this is a crap shoot but I would tend to believe that prices would be better pre-SB vs. post. I know a lot of the local retailers in my area are having a pre-SB sale on their HDTV's but in the end I guess who knows.

Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

Yes, none of the display models are accurately calibrated....which makes this decision even more frustrating. Does A look better than B because it IS better....or because the setup on B is poor(er).

So far....the sale prices THIS week are actually higher than last. There were a couple of reall good bargains last week - just nothing I was interested in. This week they all seem to be a ho-hum $100-300 off. The only really good deal I've come accross is the SONY 55A20 at J&R for $2299 that we got BB to price match. The only sticking point is that LCD was my LAST prefernece on the tech side....well behind DLP (rainbows are not an issue for us) or LCoS. The best deal is the MITS 52527 with stand and 2 yr warranty for $2000......but I've been underwhelmed by the picture whereever I've seen it (colors a tad off even after I tried adjusting & a little washed out). I know it's not THAT important, but IF it had better styling I might have pulled the trigger by now and 'assumed' that pro calibration could bring it up to par......but I'm very luke warm on the 'look' as well.

Alas......the search continues.............. [​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

Your window of best deal will come the week before / during the Superbowl. [​IMG]

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

I have since decided to go FP for my basement HT but before I decided to go that way I had planned on going Samsung DLP then it happened......

.....from across the crowded sales floor there she was calling me in like a siren to a sailor.....the JVC 1080p HD-ILA (LCoS) I knew that her call was irresistible no other TV from that point could whoo me away from her vibrant display.....oh I'm sorry got carried away for a moment.

For me The JVC was THE TV and everything else was a distant second. I was very much in the DLP camp (RBE not a factor for me either) but the HD-ILA was king to me. On that one I actually got to see the JVC Sony and the Samsung all displayed together. 1) JVC 2) Samsung 3) Sony I too have felt like you that the Sony seems to me anyway just slightly "off" can't really put my finger on it but to me just "off" the SXRD is better than their standard but just not quite there yet for me. But I guess that this is all a non-issue for me now that I have gone a completely different direction now.

I like you the odyssey continues.

6. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

A little less than a year ago I did the FRONT PROJECTOR thing......and it's awesome! We ended up getting the Optima H31 and have been VERY PLEASED with it. After spending last night nearly buying a Sony 50A10 at two different stores.....they price matched the ad for J&R (nice!), but their warranties are too $$$. Plus I'm still leary of the whole single HDMI port. In the end we were VERY frustrated!! God, how I dread the whole car shopping 'fun' we are in for when our lease expires in April [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, we came home and watched the final episode of season one of LOST on the H31........in our darkened basement (on a painted screen mind you!) the picture is outstanding!!!!! We had a good laugh and wondered WHY we still want a "big" screen in the LR - LOL! (Don't worry - we still do!!!) [​IMG] :b [​IMG]

I don't know whats tops now for an inexpensive FP, but back then; it was either the Optima H31 or the Infocus 4805 that was ruling that bracket. I feel sorry for you on your quest....at least for HDRP TV's you can LOOK at their displays! The least expensive FP you'll find actually set up was, in our experience, in the $2500 - $3500 range. Some places like Best Buy are finally selling the less expensive models....but I've yet to see one in use -- for good reason. It would be tougher in that tech to justify the steep price increases as you step up in quality. Yes, I can sometimes see some evidence of small 'jaggies' on a paused screen....in use? Extremely rarely. We started out believing we would be spending ~$7000 - 10000........buy reusing my front speakers and another pair as the surrounds, we got out of it for around $2000 using the painted screen, a new Yamaha Receiver, Polk center (to match my speakers) and Velodyne sub. I got my FP from VisualApex.com and they were great. Quick delivery...excellent price.

Good Luck,
    Larry [​IMG]

Oops...almost forgot.....love the picture on the JVC as well......but leary of the rep for repairs. A friend of the saleman at one store is STILL waiting for a part months later! Other posts in other forums.....other opinions from other salesmen - not highly recommended for THAT reason. Also, the number of manufacturers that attempted LCoS and gave up scares me as well.