What's new

Any High Heat 2003 (PC) Players? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering who else out there has picked this up. I just got it today, and have only had the time to play 1 exhibition game so far. It's pretty fun, even though I was destroyed in the one game (by the Devil Rays no less). Anyone tried the online play? I'm just curious how it might run on 56k dial up.

Aaron

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I have it. I get all the HH series games. I love it! I did a fantasy draft with my local Tigers and have started a season. I haven't played online but I heard there's a nasty bug that prevents you from playing unless you and your opponent have the exact same setup (whatever that means). For good info/downloads on HH2K3 and baseball in general check out Link Removed
Within a month there will be TONS of updated stadiums, rosters, tune files, player faces, shoes, music, gloves, etc. There is a very small but loyal fanbase to the series. I think if you truly like baseball and look for a sim game, this is the one to get.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I have just started a season using the Mariners, but I don't know if I want to get very far into it right now with roster updates coming at the end of the month. I did notice the simming of games seems to take a while (I have an Athlon 1200mhz based pc). The online thing sounds like a nasty bug, hopefully they'll fix it soon, and it won't be a huge patch.

Aaron

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
How long does it take you to sim? It usually takes me about 4 seconds - literally - to sim about 3 or 4 games. How many games are you trying to sim at one time?

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
It has been a couple of days but just going from one day to the next game (simming all games but the one I'm playing) took about 5-10 seconds. It seemed longer than say, NCAA 2002 football on PS2, which sims about 50 or so games per week. It might be that I'm running on Win2k though, and the game does some weird stuff in W2k (it's not completely compatible, I saw the warnings when I installed).

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, it takes a little longer than most games to sim because HH tries to accurately recreate statistical situations - instead of the arcade results most games pump out. If you ever played the Front Page Sports series you'll know what waiting time means. Granted the computers were slower in those days but it took about 2 hours to sim a season.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the old Frontpage Sports days, taking overnight to sim games on my college roommates 386. Talk about a pain to get through a season.

I think you and I are the only ones playing this game right now, Rob.

Aaron

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Yep, I guess you're right. Too bad cause it's a great baseball game. Last night I was so frickin mad at my team for blowing a lead in the 7th inning. It's stuff like that that makes me realize it's a great game.

Brian O

Second Unit
HH fan checking in. I have been a fan of the series since its inception and use many mods.

The online play is working great this year. I have a DSL connection. The thing you have to keep in mind is each online player must have the exact same tune.txt file and roster. Otherwise you will have sync issues.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys...A buddy of mine has always been into High Heat baseball for the PC...and he finally talked me into it a couple years ago.

WHAT A CHANGE!~

I really like all the extra downloads available (especially Batter Walk-Ups) and they really make this game a winner!

I need to try an online game sometime... as I have a T1 connection!

But sometimes my game of HH crashes on my XP machine...and I'm still trying to work out the bugs w/ HH2k3

Just thought I'd chime in....

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Michael: you've got a T1????? Can I have some of that bandwidth? :)
I'm surprised you're having crashes with XP, since supposedly HH has been tested and all on XP. I'm running on Win2k and have yet to epxerience a crash, even though it's not officially supported (The game does pause at a weird point during the game, sometimes during a hit for example). I'm about 2 months into the season and no issues so far. I can't wait for the roster updates. Hopefully early this week.
Aaron

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
T1 baby!
My apartment complex has it installed and that's why I picked this one mostly:)
As far as the crashes go....most of them do not happen during actual gameplay. They always happen when I save a game in progress (which I requently have to do) and then try to go back and continue that same saved game. After 1-3 innings, the game crashes to desktop and I'm stuck at that point in my season forever.
I installed HH on my 2nd computer (Win 98 & Win XP dual op system monster) and under XP - I get the same crashes. Under Win 98 it plays perfectly. So it looks like it's an XP problem, with me anyway.
My 2nd computer doesn't have a T1 connection though...so I may just have to learn how to play without saving games in progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.