What's new

Any help with wireless interconnectivity? (1 Viewer)

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I have a strange request. I have a fairly basic home theater system in my living room. I also have a Mac in my "studio" (i.e. spare bedroom) that I would like to hook up to the System in my living room. The problem is that the wire would have to go through a hallway, a kitchen, and a dining room just to get to the living room, and the reciever is on the far side of the living room.

So here's what I wanna do. I want to find some sort of wireless device that will take my signal from the mac, turn it into thin air, then collect it on the other end by the reciever, where it is plugged into an aux jack. Has anyone done this? Do they make this device? If any of you have some advice to gimme, I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

McKinley

Auditioning
Making such a connection sounds like you want to set up a small home network. To get your WiFi started, you may want to look into a wireless 802.11b router. This would be where you would want to start.

--McKinley

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to take so long to reply to your reply...

Actually, at first, I was not interested in transfering any Data, per se, but rather an analog stereo audio signal. However...

Now that you mention it, I have been getting interested in such a Network. I have my mac, which I use for pretty much everything except playing solitare :D and I would like very much to get a broadband connection to the internet for it. I also have an older PC, (aka solitare machine) with an ethernet card that I would like to get connected as well. Plus, I just got an X-Box, and I would like to play online with that as well. So...

I'm usually pretty tech savvy, but to be honest, I don't know where to start on setting up a system like this. Wired networks I know a little about. I know that with the right router I could hook all three machines to one cable modem and be done with it (I think). Supposedly the X-Box is friendly with PCs on a network (don't know about mac). But as for wireless, I am less familiar. I know apple makes the airport, which will work for the PC, but now I'm not sure about the X-Box. In fact, the only reason I am considering wireless is because the X-Box is in a different room (with the home theater) than the computers (the aforementioned "studio"). Maybe I could just get two cable modems (one for each room) and a router for the studio. Basically I am asking for opinions on any possible setup that could work, and once again, I appreciate any feedback.

Oh, and McKinley, thanks for the idea, and welcome to the Forum!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Chris, there are a couple of 900mhz and 2.4ghz A/V transmitters floating around.
Here's a link with some details. Some people say it's perfect, others have had trouble with interference. Radioshack sells a similiar device as well.

Terk Leapfrog

Do a search on terk leapfrog on the forum (use one of the slower searches) to find some threads about it and the other products - I remember reading a couple of threads on this type of product last year.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
If you would like a wireless network also, and it will mostly before internet not so much as transfering large (1GB+) files, you may want to look into a 802.11b router, card setup connected to a broadband modem. I currently have this setup and it works great! If you don't need absolute perfect reliability, go for the cheap stuff and save some money (currently using a $40 D-Link router, and a couple $20 PCMCIA cards) they work just fine for home use (tigerdirect.com usually has some pretty good deals after rebates). If you decide to do this and have any questions I can't help too much with macs, but if it's about a PC IM me. For the xbox, all you will need to hook that up is a wireless ethernet bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks