What's new

Help with setting up DENON DRA-800H HEOS wireless speakers/network/speakers (1 Viewer)

lincland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lincoln Apeland
I have a Denon DRA-800H, with wired speakers for the front. I wanted to add wireless speakers in the back, so i got the Denon 150s. They sound fine, but for whatever reason, they didn't design it so the Denon remote control unit can control the volume of the wireless speakers.
It's a HEOS system, so you have to use the HEOS app on a separate device to control the Denon150s. But with the flexibility of the system, it would see there's a way I can control the volume of the entire room with the remote. i would think I could choose the source output of the speakers, or run it all from the Home network...or maybe, since I'm using Apple TV for TV, that I could at least set it to I could control the signal volume and ability to mute with my Apple TV remote. Or SOMETHING.
Ultimately, I would be satisfied if I could just control all the audio with a remote if it was just while watching TV. When i listen to music, I don't adjust the volume often once it's set. But with TV it's often, and I mute the commercials.
I've contacted Denon, and their short answers have been that the only way to control the 150 volume is with the HEOS app. But since they are able to stream with airplay 2, then the volume should be able to be controlled closer to the source, or at the source.

Sorry it's so confusing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you refer to wireless speakers in the back, do you mean surround speakers? That’s not what HEOS does. It’s just a streaming system, like AirPlay, for sending two channel audio to a different room. It’s not for wireless surround speakers. That’s why it has its own volume level.

lincland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lincoln Apeland
When you refer to wireless speakers in the back, do you mean surround speakers? That’s not what HEOS does. It’s just a streaming system, like AirPlay, for sending two channel audio to a different room. It’s not for wireless surround speakers. That’s why it has its own volume level.
Actually, Denon says that wireless HEOS speakers can be used in a surround sound setup. My receiver, the DRA-800H is a two channel AVR. It's for people who mainly want to listen to music, and watch TV or other video source, and want multiple speakers, but not a 5.1 setup.
So, the problem may be that even though it CAN be done, it really isn't designed well for it since you can't adjust the levels of the speakers with the Denon remote. Only with the app.
I would think that it could all be routed through the Homekit app. Apparently you can train a universal remote to control the level of the audio on a Home network? I don't know, or believe anything at this point.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now I really don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Why do you want rear speakers? It's a two channel receiver, so it's capable of only two channels. It can't do surround sound.

lincland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lincoln Apeland
Now I really don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Why do you want rear speakers? It's a two channel receiver, so it's capable of only two channels. It can't do surround sound.
I want wireless rear speakers. It's large rectangular room, I want 2 speakers in the front and 2 in the back. Not for surround sound, but a full stereo sound in the whole room that doesn't sound like it's only in the front of the room. And all I want to do is pick up the remote and raise or lower the volume of all the speakers regardless of where they are.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Heos is too limited on functionality - one of the reasons I quit using it - so unfortunately the only way to control those wireless speakers is with the app. You will need to watch TV with your phone handy.

lincland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lincoln Apeland
Heos is too limited on functionality - one of the reasons I quit using it - so unfortunately the only way to control those wireless speakers is with the app. You will need to watch TV with your phone handy.
Thanks. That's sad.

lincland

Auditioning
Real Name
Lincoln Apeland
OK, so I want to look for alternatives to this HEOS setup. Is there away to set up wireless speakers in the back of the room? I know both Denon and Sonos have some kind of "port" device you can hook to an Aux out, then it will connect to the Sonos system (for example) is there another approach? thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want wireless speakers combined with wired speakers and have unified volume control of both, I'm not sure there is a solution. If the rear speakers are wired it's a lot easier.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Go to Best Buy and get the Rocketfish rear speaker kit. Wire this in with your front speakers, adjust the volume on the Rocketfish to balance it out and you should have full control over all 4 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks