What's new
World Wide Stereo

Any down-side to running a dual sub setup? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I do give you credit. :) There are quite a lot of people out there who profess the mantra of 2 or more subs, but they don't have the motivation to actually try to quantify the results. They simply say that it "sounds better." Be interesting to see what you find... :)

728x90

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
multiple subs can be a good thing if balanced properly. I'm of the belief that loading the room from different sides can add better balance to LFE, provided that you are a believe that LFE IS directional.
That being said, there are good points made here about getting a larger sub (larger driver) and getting LOWER bass than adding more of the same.
Elbert

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Typically 2 subs located in different positions will both cancel and reinforce various frequencies, but ultimately produces a lower total SPL (because of the cancellations) than 2 subs located together.
__________________________________________________ ___

This has been my experience every time. Colocated differently tuned subs have presented the same issues also. If a guy has the headroom, separating the same like subs can be a benefit if he is trying to increase the sweet spot but overall spl can present quite a battle. Thankfully I have a corner that works well for my reg seating and another corner that works well for those all seating occasions.

Very well said Steve. I know I am giving up some potential SPL by not co-locating the subs, but I am enlarging the area of the sweetspot for more seating positions. I do have plenty of headroom, as my medium size room is only 18' x 18' x 8', and my two PC+ cylinders fill it up easily, even tuned to 16 hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks