Review: Nady XA900 & Mid-Q sealed Tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Last night I got hear here my sub setup for the first time. My setup consists of 1 Tempest mounted in a sealed enclosure with a net volume of 5.23 cubic feet. The sub is being driven by a Nady XA900 pro-amp. I have the amp running in stereo with 1 of the subs VC’s on each channel. The amp produces 200wrms per channel at this load so the driver is seeing a total of 400wrms. The room is 17 x 23 with a cathedral ceiling. Just for reference the main speakers and center channel all consist of Vifa MG 7” woofers and a Morel MDT-20 tweet.

Impressions of the Nady XA900 amp –
    I definitely would recommend this amp to anyone. It is as solid a build as any component I have owned. Power is definitely there and I have no doubt that it is producing the power it claims. The fans are not too loud but are noticeable from my seating area. However with the dual fans the amp stays as cold as ice. I ran it hard for a good hour and the air blowing out from the fans was still rather cool. All the controls and hookups are all very solid and don’t feel cheep in anyway. The amp looks great as well. Total cost for the amp including shipping was $192 from www.musiciansfriend.com. If you are in the market for a good amp at a low cost this is an almost unbeatable option.

Now how does it sound?

Music -
    OK this is where this sub really shines. This ranks right up there with the most musical subs I’ve heard. Not boomy at all. The sound is probably best described as controlled and natural. Even when I drive the sub to its limits there are no harsh noises or groaning coming from it and the accuracy never seems to fade. Kick drums have a depth to them that I did not hear with my previous sub. The sound gives me the impression that it is not reproduced sound but is actually just music. It seems to just fade away in the background. Output is good. I must say that on many tracks I would like to have more but I also listen to music at higher volumes then most (just as a side note, I used to have a car that was capable of [email protected]). I do not currently have a SPL meter so I cannot take any measurements but I am positive that most would be very satisfied with the output. If you are looking for an all out sq sub system for stereo sound that is wonderfully accurate and tight and you don’t need to shake the drywall off the walls then I would highly recommend this setup.

Movies –
    As with the music the sub just seemed to disappear into the overall presentation. I felt it lacked the ability to play some demanding scenes at true reference levels but as I mentioned earlier I probably have skewed opinions of this. I watched the mines of moria in FOTR and it was very impressive. The floor shook during the battle with the cave troll and the balrog. Depth seemed almost endless. Through all this pounding the material was still played with total accuracy and there were no unwanted noises, just big clean bass. They dynamics of the system are great. There were small subtle details that I noticed that were not overplayed or to loud but as soon as the real action started you were enveloped in the action. The only thing that I can say is that I would prefer to have some more output and headroom but the average listener would have most likely wanted it turned down.

In conclusion –
    This is one of the best all around subs I’ve heard in any price range. The total cost of this setup was right at $400. The honest strait truth is that there are simply no commercially available subs that could even remotely compare this setup in any area for that price and there probably isn’t even one that could truly best it for triple that price. My output issues will be solved later this year when I put 4 tempests in an IB setup, but for now this sub is very satisfying, very versatile and highly recommended.

Thanks a lot to Kyle Richardson for all the help!!

2. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

This is the amp I'd love to have for my Tempest. The Adire 250w at 4ohms isn't cutting it. Only problem is that the site listed does not ship to Canada. Anybody know where I can get the Nady XA900 in Canada or shipped from the US to Canada?

3. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Mono bridge it you may pick up a couple db
    ALso for Nady in Canada call your local music shop for commercial/band products like
    Tom Lee Music or something simular

Good luck

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

if i go mono then i would be presenting the amp with a 4ohm mono load. it produces 900wrms at that load so id be saying bye bye Tempest pretty quickly![​IMG] hhaahhah

5. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

It would be 2ohm or 8ohm depending how u did it not 4 ohm

6. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

hmm, the tempest is a dual voice coil 8 ohms sub. so if i go series i end up with a 16ohm final load and if i go parallel i end up at 4ohms. the 16ohm mono output of the amp is the same as the 8ohm stereo output.

7. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Opps your right either 4 ohm or 16.

Still run it that way much better control over driver

8. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

you are not the first to suggest this actually. i will defintly give it a shot.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chris,

Thanks for providing your impressions on how the Nady worked out for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I currently have all the pieces of MDF cut so I can assemble my pair of Shivas this evening. I'll get them finished up and provide some pics and impressions of my Shiva & Nady combo towards the middle of this week.

Meanwhile, my Nady has just been "parked" after unpacking it over a week ago.

10. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Question
    The Nady uses a fan for cooling. Could you tell me what type of fan it is. Like a 120v ac fan or 12volt dc fan??
    How loud is the fan as well.

11. Wayne Ernst

Chris,

Thanks for providing your impressions on how the Nady worked out for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I currently have all the pieces of MDF cut so I can assemble my pair of Shivas this evening. I'll get them finished up and provide some pics and impressions of my Shiva & Nady combo towards the middle of this week.

Meanwhile, my Nady has just been "parked" after unpacking it over a week ago.

12. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I cant find the actual specs for the fans that are used in the amp. I have the feeling that they are 120v ac though. but as for noise level, i think they could stadn to be quiter but they areant as loud as some i have heard. during a movie and the sounds total go away and it is silent you can hear the fans slightly in the background. it is not at an annoying level at all IMHO.

13. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I have a question about the Nady amp. I was reading the specs on it over at musicianfriend.com and it says it outputs 675 watts bridged into 4 ohms and I just wanted to know if that was correct from the manual? I have an SVS 25-31CS+ and I'm wondering if I buy the amp if I should bridge it to give the SVS more watts or leave it with just the 350 watts it outputs unbridged. Well, hope your enjoying the new set-up.

14. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

actually no that number is not correct. i actually called Nady and asked them. the 675wrms is the mono output into 8ohms. at 4ohms mono the amp produces 900wrms, hence XA900. hope this helps!!

15. Luis Cruz

Thanks for the reply Chris, I appreciate it. Darn, I was hoping it was only 675 watts bridged because that would be only a little bit above the maximum watts the SVS can take. I don't know about putting 900 watts into that sucker because I don't want to damage the sub in any way. Well, I guess 350 watts will be enough hopefully.

16. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

no problem. is there another way you woudl be able to hook up the sub? i currently have it wired at 8 ohms stereo and the output is 200wrms x 2. whne i was purchasing i just figured that for the extra $50 i would have alot more room to grow in the future going this route.

17. Wayne Ernst

Luis,

The Nady amp (and other pro amps for that matter) have a gain control on them. You could use these to limit the amount of power going to your SVC subwoofer without blowing it.

You might do more damage to the SVS by using a 350-watt amp because you might introduce some excessive distortion when pushing it at higher levels vs. pushing it at moderate levels (with lots more "head room") that the pro amp will provide.

18. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

If it's front-firing, you could build a stand below the subwoofer to elevate it to the height of the Nady amp. The result would be that the amp would be on the ground, between the floor and the sub box. Just make sure the space is open at the front and the back for air circulation, or you will toast your amp.

19. Luis Cruz

I have one more question about the Nady Amp. How do you connect it? I know it has 1/4" TRS outputs which are balanced? This is confusing to me. I'm hoping to purchase this amp in the next couple of weeks as I save up the cash and so I bought this adapter from parts express: www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=18017028&St=9199&St2=90435572&St3=-86350792&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=2427&DID=7

Now I looked at the manual for the Nady on-line and it has a diagram showing an unbalanced and balanced connector but the one I have looks to be unbalanced. So if it is unbalanced am I not to use it, will it not work? And if the one I have is not the right one can anyone suggest an adaptor or cable that will work that is not to expensive?

20. Wayne Ernst

Luis,

You use the 1/4" unbalanced inputs for easily connecting the amplifier. The balanced connectors are a special connector that is used when connecting the amplifier to mixing boards and other pieces of pro sound gear.

To connect it, you'll need:

- RCA cable (to go between the sub output on your receiver and to the amp)
    - A female RCA to 1/4" mono plug adapter. (this converts the cable connection from the RCA connector to the 1/4" connector going into the sub.) These are sold at Radio Shack for $4.99 a pair.
    - Speaker cable to connect to the binding post outputs and goes to your sub.
    - An RCA "Y" splitter if you plan on using both channels on the amp.

That's basically it. Off the shelf plugs and adapters to get it up and running. [​IMG]