What's new

Another SVS question!!! (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
OK, I have my 20-39cs being powered by my old Kenwood stereo receiver. I have it hooked up exactly like the FAQ tells you to on the SVS website. However, I have an extrnal DD/DTS decoder that plugs into my 5.1 Ready Sony receiver. Instead of having the subwoofer cable going from my Sony receiver to the Kenwood receiver, should I just take the subwoofer cable from the external decoder and plug it directly into the Kenwood receiver? Or should I leave it exactly how I have it, Decoder to Sony Receiver - Subwoofer cable from Sony Receiver to Kenwood Receiver - Kenwood Receiver to SVS? I hope this isn't to confusing.
wink.gif

-Dean-
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on August 30, 2001 at 01:17 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Dean,
As long as you can calibrate the system OK with the current configuration...I wouldn't mess with it. I'm guessing the DD/DS decoder is sending full range signal to each of the 5.1 inputs on the Sony...and then the Sony is applying any applicable bass management to the input signal...right?
TV

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Tom,
You are correct. However, I did try it the other way, having the subwoofer output on the DD/DTS decoder go directly to the Kenwood, and I noticed a BIG difference (so did my wife). The bass has more punch to it, plus it is about 5 db louder. I had to recalibrate and once I did, I was very pleased with the new sound. It was like geting another new SVS.
wink.gif

I think I am going to leave it the way it is now. I got brave last night and checked out the DTS version of The Haunting. My God!!!! Now I know why this DVD is called the "sub killer". I had to take the bass down 2 db for fear of destroying something.
wink.gif

Here is another quick question. While I was changing the setup of the cables, I must have accidently turned the bass control on the Kenwood all the way up. While watching Fight Club, the receiver shutdown for a brief second and then came back on during the final explosion scene. I freaked out and went and checked out the receiver and noticed the goof. Did all I do was overdrive the amps or did I do something else? The sub didn't bottom out, sound distorted, or anything else. Once I put the bass level back at the 0 db mark, it was fine. I hope I didn't do any major damage to anything?
-Dean-
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on August 31, 2001 at 07:00 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks