What's new

Another "Platoon" DVD Release on May 30th (1 Viewer)

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I just hope they don't put the footage back into the film. No reason to tinker with greatness.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've got the first release (from Live or maybe it was Artisan by then) and one of the MGM discs so I MAY actually pick this one up since the extras sound interesting. That being said, I'll be waiting to get some feedback before actually buying it.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
If it's the same as the upcoming R2 ultimate edition it's a wasted opportunity as far as the transfer is concerned - the 10th(?) Anniversary laserdisc had a colour scheme re-timed by the DP to how he intended it to look all along, the subsequent anamorphic transfers have gone back to the theatrical look and are therefore not DP approved, also the 5.1 re-mix had practically no surround activity at all when compared to the original theatrical dolby tracks...

M

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe this!!! :angry: I just bought the special edition yesterday, and now I find out about a new, better edition today. This always happens, whenever I buy a movie I find out about a new version coming out soon. At least it was cheap.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I own the R2 UE (I wish I had seen this first), and I must say, I find it a real improvement over the Special Edition. The new transfer has a better picture, with colors a bit more saturated but also a little on the cooler side (which works for this film). The DTS track had some good surround activity. The two new featurettes are also worth watching.

The only thing that irritated me was the removal of a title card and replacement with player generated subs (par for the MGM course, especially in R2).

-Lyle J.P.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Id buy it if it had the color correction of the Pioneer LD and Live DVD.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Bloody hell. I had the first MGM DVD, then the special edition MGM DVD....now another. Just like that damn Magnificent Seven 2-discer.....arghhh

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if there are any extras from the SE that are NOT being carried forward?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I can't vouch for a disc that no one has seen yet, but if it is a port of everything on the UK disc, then no, nothing is being dropped off.

Edit: Ooops, I see there is even more good stuff on the forthcoming US release than there was on the UK release from last month. Now I'm doubly pissed that I bought it! :frowning:

-Lyle J.P.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
From the description above it looks like everything is carried over except for the English stereo soundtrack.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Was that stereo track just a downmix of the 5.1 or the original Dolby track? IMDB only lists the movie in "Dolby" so I am going to assume that means stereo.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I bought the laserdisc years ago (the most recent laserdisc release but not the box set) and I still haven't watched the film. Seeing this just received a new Hi-Def transfer, I'll wait for Blu-Ray to get my first experience. I still can't believe I haven't seen this film (except for the scene when some guy beats a "smiley-faced villager" in the face with his gun.

Oh yeah, and hasn't all 5.1 mixes of this film to date really only have mono surrounds?

Me.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Multiple releases of films like this, and Ten Commandments, and most of the Anchor Bay catalog :) make me laugh. We all know this'll be on HD within 5 years.

Specs look great, though.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks