What's new

Another burn-in question: Is it safe to watch things like the Super Bowl? (1 Viewer)

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I know. I also read the sticky thread at the top, but that mostly addressed grey and black bars on the sides of the screen.

I'm just asking because since I got my tv, I've been trying to avoid most broadcast tv - channels with static logos, etc. And, of course, when you watch the Super Bowl or any football game for that matter, there's usually a huge bar across the top that stays up there for a few hours. Can something like this cause burn-in after only a few hours or should I not even worry about it?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It shouldn't cause a problem. But then I never thought that spending 20-30 sec. at a time, looking at the GUIDE on cable tv would have caused a problem either, but apparently it did for some people. Make sure you contrast is turned down.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Short answer Yes, long answer No.... but

the but being that nothign is safe to watch :) eventually your phospers will wear and burn and blah blah blah.

but if you want to be that paranoid then dont watch cause it will wear out, for that matter dont drive your car cause it cost way more than a tv and you dont want it to wear out.

sorry for the rant, basically be sensible about what you watch, if you watch 90% TNN then your asking for trouble, but if you liek to turn tot hat channel once ina while for a star trek episode its not a big deal, same withthe superbowl, but hey if you tape it and watch it twice a day for the enxt 3 months then it might be a problem.

all that being said iw ill note that i dont ahve an RPTV, but my friend does and we ahve played 6-8 hour stretched of video games with static images all over it, and no damage to that tv yet, and that kind of use has been goign on for 2 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks