What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (2 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I got an e-mail tonight from something claiming to be Movies Anywhere saying I needed to renew my "subscription" to the service. Is this legit? I didn't investigate any farther, but I also don't want to be sending out any passwords or log-ins to someone who isn't supposed to have them.

I've heard of having to renew the connection between the locker and the services (maybe that was just UV) but no, it doesn't sound legit to me...

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I got an e-mail tonight from something claiming to be Movies Anywhere saying I needed to renew my "subscription" to the service. Is this legit? I didn't investigate any farther, but I also don't want to be sending out any passwords or log-ins to someone who isn't supposed to have them.
Most likely a scam to capture your login and password so they can steal your account.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You need to renew your links to the different retailers every so often, but there is no subscription. It does sound like a scam. Instead of clicking on the link in the email (which you should never do from any unsolicited email), simply login in to your Movies Anywhere account directly and click on your name in the upper right corner of the home page. You should see a digital retailers window. Select "manage", and it will show you which ones need updating. I just checked, and my Microsoft link needed updating.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a scam and people should never type in their login information to an unsolicited email. Just go to that particular site and login your account information there to check on whether there is an issue.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help and advice. I suspected something was "off."
Since I'm functionally computer illiterate and borderline paranoid, I have a rule that any time I get an e-mail like that from any site, I go to the actual site and never click on the link. I figure if the warning or request for info is legit, I'll be alerted there too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Don't sell yourself short. You are more computer literate than most, simply for having that rule.
Since I'm functionally computer illiterate and borderline paranoid, I have a rule that any time I get an e-mail like that from any site, I go to the actual site and never click on the link. I figure if the warning or request for info is legit, I'll be alerted there too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Movies Anywhere has also added a "Watch Together" feature, where up to nine guests can virtually watch a movie at the same time.

Nice idea, especially during this pandemic...

That would probably be much more useful though if only the host has to own the title while other guests could maybe just rent for $1 each (or maybe $2 each for a very recent title?).

Right now, in its initial version, every guest has to either own the title or receive a Screen Pass for it -- we only get 3 SPs/month plus they don't work for all movies, including nearly all recent ones from last couple years.

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not sure if this was mentioned here or not:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For those of you who may have not yet signed up for Movies Anywhere, they are offering a free movie (for new members only) after connecting a retail account. The choice of free movies are:

Lego Movie 2
Smallfoot
Crazy Rich Asians
The Meg
The Matrix

I assume these would be HD and not UHD.

Edit: It appears existing members can get a free movie when they connect a new retailer, too. Offer expires 9/9/2020.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
For those of you who may have not yet signed up for Movies Anywhere, they are offering a free movie (for new members only) after connecting a retail account. The choice of free movies are:

Lego Movie 2
Smallfoot
Crazy Rich Asians
The Meg
The Matrix

I assume these would be HD and not UHD.

Edit: It appears existing members can get a free movie when they connect a new retailer, too. Offer expires 9/9/2020.

The last time MA asked me to connect my Vudu, I got Lego Movie 1, Ice Age, and Ghostbusters: the Unfunny Female Version. All of them, NO choice.

Here, they're all desperate Warner titles, for some reason. That's...odd. <_<

(Especially considering Warner, who had the house staked all-in on Ultraviolet, and may have been the Power Behind the Throne, took a long time to adjust to MA finally kicking UV out the door, and for an entire year after the Death of UV, kept putting "Redeem your free movie on VUDU!" on disk promos because they didn't have much choice.
Now they've finally gotten themselves used to saying "Redeem your free movie on MA and Vudu!")

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Has anyone else noticed that Disney has completely gotten rid of tiered pricing? On all their properties (Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century), all resolutions (SD, HD, and 4K) are priced exactly the same at all digital retailers (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, FandangoNow)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Has anyone else noticed that Disney has completely gotten rid of tiered pricing? On all their properties (Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century), all resolutions (SD, HD, and 4K) are priced exactly the same at all digital retailers (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, FandangoNow)

Yeah, that was noted about a week ago. I really don't understand why it would be offered that way because why would there be a need to purchase the resolutions less than 4K if they are all the same price?

Granted, some customers don't have adequate internet speeds to play 4K, but they could set their players to default to the resolution it is capable of playing while still having the 4K rights to future proof their purchase.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I can tell, it's the same with all of the studios on Vudu anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks