Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Double check your codes for Jaws before redeeming! I tried redeeming my code and Movies Anywhere was trying to redeem as HD (even though they currently offer it in 4K).
MA-Jaws.jpg

Hopefully, this will get corrected by the June 2 street date.

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I was surprised to see the Movies Anywhere app on the Smartcast home screen when I turned my Vizio TV on today. It supports Dolby Vision too. That pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for the FandangoNow app on this TV.

Last edited:

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
FYI, someone in Vudu's forums contacted Universal about Blues Brothers 4K and got this response:

Hello,

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic there is a delay in offering 4K UHD streaming content on this feature. Please note that as soon as the UHD version is made available, your locker will get updated automatically, if you have redeemed a UHD code. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

Universal Digital Copy Support

• Appreciate
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
FYI, someone in Vudu's forums contacted Universal about Blues Brothers 4K and got this response:

Hello,

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic there is a delay in offering 4K UHD streaming content on this feature. Please note that as soon as the UHD version is made available, your locker will get updated automatically, if you have redeemed a UHD code. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

It's strange how some films don't have a delay while others do.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
MGM's home video distribution deal with Fox ends tomorrow. Curious to see what happens.

Crossing fingers for a change in MGM's Movies Anywhere holdout status...

From MGM Q1 investor call:

"Home entertainment distribution includes the sales, marketing and promotion of content for physical distribution (DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray) and marketing and promotion in connection with electronic sellthrough. Our home entertainment distribution agreement with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment expires on June 30, 2020, and we expect to have a replacement distributor in place immediately thereafter."

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MGM's home video distribution deal with Fox ends tomorrow. Curious to see what happens.

Crossing fingers for good MA fortune...

So, I have been out of the loop on this for a while.

Is MGM then just in "limbo" or has another studio stepped up to purchase their library? I was so hoping Warner would do it.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So, I have been out of the loop on this for a while.

Is MGM then just in "limbo" or has another studio stepped up to purchase their library? I was so hoping Warner would do it.
It's not an issue of anybody needing to purchase their library - this is just to see who distributes their movies on home video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's not an issue of anybody needing to purchase their library - this is just to see who distributes their movies on home video.
If we are talking "distribution" instead of "purchase" would the new "distributor" have the right to restore the titles at their expense or simply distribution rights?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't think it's anything like that, no - but I guess we'll find out shortly!

I could care less about who distributes MGM titles. I want a studio to step up and buy the library so that it can be properly taken care of.

Warner is the obvious choice. They are the type of studio that would have restored MAD WORLD years ago if it were theirs. THE ALAMO would have a fighting chance as well.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Hello,

Thank you.

That is the exact same response I received regarding Jaws originally not redeeming in 4K on MA. The day after street date it redeemed just fine. Of course, in my case, Jaws was available in 4K on MA but the code was redeeming as HD.

Did MA show as redeemed in 4K? Regardless, if you've already redeemed, I'd hold on to that code until 4K becomes available, just in case it does not automatically upgrade, because that is one of the first things Universal customer service is going to ask for.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Crossing fingers for a change in MGM's Movies Anywhere holdout status...

From MGM Q1 investor call:

"Home entertainment distribution includes the sales, marketing and promotion of content for physical distribution (DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray) and marketing and promotion in connection with electronic sellthrough. Our home entertainment distribution agreement with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment expires on June 30, 2020, and we expect to have a replacement distributor in place immediately thereafter."
That will likely have no bearing on MGM movies becoming available via Movies Anywhere, as Universal already distributes new releases and those only come with an Apple TV code.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That will likely have no bearing on MGM movies becoming available via Movies Anywhere, as Universal already distributes new releases and those only come with an Apple TV code.
But if they become MA-eligible, your iTunes digital would presumably transfer thru MA even if you can't directly enter the code at MA (or Vudu, et al), no?

Anyway, I wasn't aware any studios are currently providing only iTunes codes... but then again, don't think I bought any MGM titles (on disc) other than a few Twilight Times ones (that never come w/ digital codes) in quite a while...

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona