What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Underwater! is one title that I know isn't on MA or iTunes.

In that case the title just isn't available on digital, which is different from what I'm talking about.

Sam said "Lionsgate MGM Paramount and Criterion need to join MA post haste" then Bob responded "Not just them - Warner Archives titles don't show up either (at least the ones I've purchased from Amazon)"

I'm taking that to mean Bob purchased Warner Archive titles on Amazon digitally (the only way they could show up in MA) but they are not showing up.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Any examples? I'm curious...
The Youngest Profession
Too Hot to Handle
Julia Misbehaves
Operation Eichmann!
The Girl from Missouri
The Great Diamond Robbery
Texas Carnival
Skirts Ahoy
Half a Hero
Room for One More
Honolulu
Rendevous
The Gazebo
The Sorcerers
Looking for Love
Ship Ahoy
The King's Thief
Genesis II
Sinbad the Sailor
From Hell it Came
Watch the Birdie
Swordsman of Sienna
Stand by for Action
Two on a Gullotine
Millionaire for Christy
The Yellow Cab Man
A Southern Yankee
The Liquidator
Don't Make Waves
Bachelor in Paradise
Confessions of an Opium Eater
Macabre
The Cyclops
The Spanish Main
Eye of the Devil

And more... Basically if it's a title from Warner's "Archive Collection" it's not showing up on MA.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Thanks for the nice list @BobO'Link!

I only scanned some of those, but what I found is this - a lot of those are actually MGM or other studios, which are not part of MA. A few are certainly Warner and not MA enabled as you said.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Youngest Profession
Too Hot to Handle
Julia Misbehaves
Operation Eichmann!
The Girl from Missouri
The Great Diamond Robbery
Texas Carnival
Skirts Ahoy
Half a Hero
Room for One More
Honolulu
Rendevous
The Gazebo
The Sorcerers
Looking for Love
Ship Ahoy
The King's Thief
Genesis II
Sinbad the Sailor
From Hell it Came
Watch the Birdie
Swordsman of Sienna
Stand by for Action
Two on a Gullotine
Millionaire for Christy
The Yellow Cab Man
A Southern Yankee
The Liquidator
Don't Make Waves
Bachelor in Paradise
Confessions of an Opium Eater
Macabre
The Cyclops
The Spanish Main
Eye of the Devil

And more... Basically if it's a title from Warner's "Archive Collection" it's not showing up on MA.
Many of those titles are on iTunes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right but what he was saying is he purchased them on Amazon and didn't know why they didn't show up in his MA account...
I understand that, I’m just saying some of those titles are in my iTunes library. There are reasons why I don’t use Amazon very often for classic movies.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I understand that, I’m just saying some of those titles are in my iTunes library. There are reasons why I don’t use Amazon very often for classic movies.
BUT - Did they transfer from Amazon to iTunes via your MA link or did you purchase them from iTunes? I'd also guess those Warner Archive Collection titles you have in iTunes are not in MA either.

My annoyance comes in because Warner is a partner but those "Archive" titles aren't included in spite of that.

I have 140 titles in my Amazon account of which only 44 are in my MA account. Roughly 50 of those are Archive Collection titles. That's a significant difference.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My annoyance comes in because Warner is a partner but those "Archive" titles aren't included in spite of that.

As I posted above, Warner didn't release most of those titles digitally - MGM did.

Warner's has the DISC rights, while MGM has the DIGITAL rights.

Amazon does list the studio on each movie's page so you do have the ability to check it's MA compatibility before you buy.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for the nice list @BobO'Link!

I only scanned some of those, but what I found is this - a lot of those are actually MGM or other studios, which are not part of MA. A few are certainly Warner and not MA enabled as you said.
Interesting as all of those I listed are part of Warner's "Archive Collection" and issued by them on MOD DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As I posted above, Warner didn't release most of those titles digitally - MGM did.

It's just a situation where one studio had disc rights while another had digital rights.

Amazon does list the studio so you can always check before you buy.
That's what makes MA essentially a bust as far as I'm concerned. It's a step in the right direction but *all* of the studios need to participate for it to be worth the hassle. With studio hold outs you're still stuck having to use several different services for playback. I'm quite comfortable with technology but am not going to do that.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
That's what makes MA essentially a bust as far as I'm concerned. It's a step in the right direction but *all* of the studios need to participate for it to be worth the hassle. With studio hold outs you're still stuck having to use several different services for playback. I'm quite comfortable with technology but am not going to do that.

I think you will definitely find everybody agreeing with you on that.

I personally approach it by only buying titles that are MA compatible. If the holdout studios want my money, they need to join. Otherwise it does have some nice benefits and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not using MA at all.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Many of those titles are on iTunes.

And you never noticed that those Warner titles you own in iTunes don't show up on other services? I'm shocked. :) I bought 13 Warner iTunes titles at this last sale and 4 of them were not part of Movies Anywhere: PT 109, Pride of the Yankees, Men Don't Leave and Trick.

Warner's has the DISC rights, while MGM has the DIGITAL rights.
I'm going to have to correct you on that. The pre-1986 MGM library is owned lock stock and barrel by Warner Brothers. MGM has nothing to do with any of it. I have a theory as to why some Warner titles show up in Movies Anywhere and some do not. There are two entities controlling Warner titles: Warner Home Video and Warner Archive. If a title was under the control of Warner Home Video when it was added to digital services, it's part of Movies Anywhere (which is why all the big titles are MA) but if it was under the control of Warner Archive when it was added to digital services it is not part of Movies Anywhere. Anyway that's my theory, so take it or leave it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And you never noticed that those Warner titles you own in iTunes don't show up on other services? I'm shocked. :) I bought 13 Warner iTunes titles at this last sale and 4 of them were not part of Movies Anywhere: PT 109, Pride of the Yankees, Men Don't Leave and Trick.
Are you seriously asking me that question?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
BUT - Did they transfer from Amazon to iTunes via your MA link or did you purchase them from iTunes? I'd also guess those Warner Archive Collection titles you have in iTunes are not in MA either.

I have 140 titles in my Amazon account of which only 44 are in my MA account. Roughly 50 of those are Archive Collection titles. That's a significant difference.
I rarely purchase any title from Amazon. I don't like their PQ and I prefer iTunes as my main service which is why I purchase most of my titles from them followed by Vudu.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't use my money for any digital purchase. All of my Amazon "purchases" are made with "slow shipping credits." That's the only reason I own any of them. I focus on the Warner Archive Collection titles as I prefer the digital over a MOD so it's a win/win for me for the titles available that way. All others, also purchased with credits, are for films that are either OOP/expensive for physical copies or ones I want to watch before considering a purchase. I purchase rather than rent if the purchase price is only a few $$ more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't use my money for any digital purchase. All of my Amazon "purchases" are made with "slow shipping credits." That's the only reason I own any of them. I focus on the Warner Archive Collection titles as I prefer the digital over a MOD so it's a win/win for me for the titles available that way. All others, also purchased with credits, are for films that are either OOP/expensive for physical copies or ones I want to watch before considering a purchase. I purchase rather than rent if the purchase price is only a few $$ more.
Aren't most of those titles in SD?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm going to have to correct you on that. The pre-1986 MGM library is owned lock stock and barrel by Warner Brothers. MGM has nothing to do with any of it.

Here is a screenshot on iTunes for just one of the titles we are talking about...
A76CAEC4-19FD-40AA-BDF8-6069453B1D13.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks