Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Aren't most of those titles in SD?
IIRC they all are but I really don't pay that much attention. If a title's in HD that's what I get. If not then I get the SD. If I were spending actual $$ on these I'd care and go elsewhere if necessary.

That's the one area Amazon's lacking in and a huge annoyance. Even if there's an HD version and you purchase SD you have to pay full price to upgrade later. You'd think they'd allow at least part of the SD purchase price to apply towards an upgrade.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Expound on that. The digital copy does name the studio as MGM.

Not saying you're wrong, just asking you to explain...
I've got all kinds of MGM films from the 1940's in my digital library and they all belong to Warner now. Films prior to 1943, films made in 1943, and films after 1943, through 1949. MGM might be listed as the original studio, but Warner now has their digital and physical media rights due to what Mark posted.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I've got all kinds of MGM films from the 1940's in my digital library and they all belong to Warner now. Films prior to 1943, films made in 1943, and films after 1943, through 1949. MGM might be listed as the original studio, but Warner now has their digital and physical media rights due to what Mark posted.
I guess I'm just looking at titles like Donnie Darko, which has one release that is listed as Fox, and it is MA, and a second that is listed as Arrow, and that is not MA.

In other words, I don't see that they are listing the movie's original studio, but the studio that put out that specific release.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I guess I'm just looking at titles like Donnie Darko, which has one release that is listed as Fox, and it is MA, and a second that is listed as Arrow, and that is not MA. In other words, I don't see that they are listing the movie's original studio, but the studio that put out that specific release.
Actually, I think it's just an oversight or just sloppiness on those doing the inputting of iTunes titles. An example being "Stand by for Action" (1944) which is on Bob's listing. It was originally released by MGM in February, 1944. iTunes still list the studio as MGM, however, below that you will see 1942 Turner Entertainment Co. Later on Ted Turner sold his interest to Warner and they acquired that film library.

Reactions: Cranston37

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Actually, I think it's just an oversight or just sloppiness on those doing the inputting of iTunes titles. An example being "Stand by for Action" (1944) which is on Bob's listing. It was originally released by MGM in February, 1944. iTunes still list the studio as MGM, however, below that you will see 1942 Turner Entertainment Co. Later on Ted Turner sold his interest to Warner and they acquired that film library.
By the way, that 1942 next to Turner Entertainment Co is another iTunes mistake!

Edit: This part was the mistake
It was originally released by MGM in February, 1944.
The movie was release in February, 1943 as filming was completed in 1942.

Last edited:

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Actually, I think it's just an oversight or just sloppiness on those doing the inputting of iTunes titles. An example being "Stand by for Action" (1944) which is on Bob's listing. It was originally released by MGM in February, 1944.
Cant be an iTunes problem as other services list it as MGM as well.

Are you sure about that date, too? I'm finding a Dec 1942 release date...

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
This is from AFI on "Stand by for Action"

Release Date: February 1943
Premiere Information:
World premiere in Boston, MA; Providence, RI; Washington, D.C.; Chicago, IL; Norfolk, VA; San Diego and San Francisco, CA: 31 Dec 1942
Production Date: 8 Jun--early Aug 1942

Chip_HT

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chip
There's no consistent reasoning behind the studio listed on a digital movie. Most (if not all) of the Fox movies still list 20th Century Fox as the studio at Vudu, even though when you filter by studio, they all appear under Disney. The Star Wars movies all list Lucasfilm as the studio (except for the original which lists Fox). "His Girl Friday" is listed with a studio called TriCoast Entertainment, even though Columbia made that movie.

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Correct. The studio field is simply metadata, not connected to anything real. Whoever is creating metadata for the digital releases at Warner, sometimes put in MGM because is was the original studio to release the film and sometimes they put in Warner Brothers.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Hey could someone who owns Doctor Sleep UHD and an Apple TV do me a favor - look at about the first 20secs on iTunes then on Vudu. Does the Vudu version look completely washed out to you?

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Correct. The studio field is simply metadata, not connected to anything real. Whoever is creating metadata for the digital releases at Warner, sometimes put in MGM because is was the original studio to release the film and sometimes they put in Warner Brothers.
Metadata that most studios - video and audio - don't properly maintain and often mess up from the start. It's an inconsistent system that causes all kinds of issues when not maintained properly.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Hey could someone who owns Doctor Sleep UHD and an Apple TV do me a favor - look at about the first 20secs on iTunes then on Vudu. Does the Vudu version look completely washed out to you?
I looked, but I couldn't tell much difference. I watched up to the point the little girl meets the chick with the hat.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I looked, but I couldn't tell much difference. I watched up to the point the little girl meets the chick with the hat.
Interesting - I happened to notice it when setting up a new TV yesterday. Looks the same on multiple ATV's and TV's. I'll post some quick pics later...

Thanks for looking, Robert

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just took some quick pics of my TV. It's much more notable in person but I think even with this you can see a difference.

Top pic is iTunes/MA (both apps look the same) and bottom is Vudu:

9C739735-F7E6-47D9-9F3D-6C7A02DB15DF.jpeg

942B50A7-BB1B-4FDB-9C30-A7E30995A5BE.jpeg 127EFDDE-5C25-46D4-8EFA-BEA9218F49D1.jpeg

4E211E8D-46F4-4D4B-863C-7D312ECB3717.jpeg

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Ok, here's what I found...

In my ATV settings I had both "Match Content" settings set to "off". I switched them to "on" and the Vudu stream now matches the iTunes, MA stream.

Does that tell us anything about what Vudu was outputting?

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mansibtani