Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Ok, here's what I found...

In my ATV settings I had both "Match Content" settings set to "off". I switched them to "on" and the Vudu stream now matches the iTunes, MA stream.

Does that tell us anything about what Vudu was outputting?
Match Content settings should be “on”. On my Roku unit, Vudu has it listed as HDR and it plays in HDR on the same LG display that played it in Dolby Vision when I was using my AppleTV device. As you stated it’s in Dolby Vision on Movies Anywhere.

Reactions: Cranston37

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
An interesting thing to note - Amazon Video apps on iOS devices and Apple TV have been updated to allow you to make purchases...
I just noticed that too. If Apple and Amazon can finally mend fences after all these years, then maybe there’s hope for a truce between Apple and Disney regarding 4K content through iTunes!

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just got off a chat with tech support. If you use a Roku, the Movies Anywhere app is falsely indicating that your Roku device is not 4K capable. They are aware of the issue and are working on it. They also assured me that movies WILL play in 4K on your Roku and to just ignore the message for now.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
The other night I bought the HD streaming version of Damn Yankees on iTunes, and I watched it tonight. It's a very good transfer, and I'm happy to have it.

But with this being a Warners film, does anybody know why it didn't port into Movies Anywhere? Does Paramount now own the rights or something? The only labeling I saw was Warner Bros.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah, Vudu doesn't have it listed as being MA enabled. Not every title is going to have MA, and no one knows why. Somewhere in this thread I list a few from my collection like that - Bad and the Beautiful and The Letter are 2 off the top of my head.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The other night I bought the HD streaming version of Damn Yankees on iTunes, and I watched it tonight. It's a very good transfer, and I'm happy to have it.

But with this being a Warners film, does anybody know why it didn't port into Movies Anywhere? Does Paramount now own the rights or something? The only labeling I saw was Warner Bros.
You'll be surprise how many Warner titles that I bought on iTunes that didn't port into Movies Anywhere. I have 107 movie titles that I bought on iTunes that never ported over to MA. Just about all of them are Warner titles! Many of them are only in SD on Vudu while some of them aren't even on Vudu. I have another 35 movie titles that I bought on iTunes and ported over to MA, but only in SD. All of those movies are Warner titles.

You can make category lists on Vudu now. That allowed me to make a list of movies that I bought on iTunes that never ported over to Vudu. For those movies that aren't even listed on Vudu, I made a written list of those movies. I even have a list on Vudu for iTunes titles that did port over to Vudu, but only in SD. Yes, it was time consuming and I continue to update those lists when I purchase any additional titles.

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I have a theory about that (see this post) and Damn Yankees being added to digital just last year while the title is under the control of Warner Archive would seem to support that.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
There are two entities controlling Warner titles: Warner Home Video and Warner Archive. If a title was under the control of Warner Home Video when it was added to digital services, it's part of Movies Anywhere (which is why all the big titles are MA) but if it was under the control of Warner Archive when it was added to digital services it is not part of Movies Anywhere. Anyway that's my theory, so take it or leave it.
For that theory to hold true you're going to have to explain all the Warner Archive disc titles that are MA enabled. Recent releases like The Thin Man, Sweet Bird of Youth, and Mary of Scotland are quick examples.

Conversely, all the "big" Warner titles that weren't released on disc by Warner Archive that are not MA enabled. White Heat and Little Caesar are examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For that theory to hold true you're going to have to explain all the Warner Archive disc titles that are MA enabled. Recent releases like The Thin Man, Sweet Bird of Youth, and Mary of Scotland are quick examples.

Conversely, all the "big" Warner titles that weren't released on disc by Warner Archive that are not MA enabled. White Heat and Little Caesar are examples.
Thank you for lending credence to my theory. Thin Man was on digital way back in 2013, Mary of Scotland and Sweet Bird of Youth in 2017, which is before any of the Archive releases came out.

However White Heat and Little Caesar break the theory as both were on digital long beforehand.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Thank you for lending credence to my theory. Thin Man was on digital way back in 2013, Mary of Scotland and Sweet Bird of Youth in 2017, which is before any of the Archive releases came out.

However White Heat and Little Caesar break the theory as both were on digital long beforehand.
I think there is some credence to your theory, but I also don't think it's that clear cut as we don't exactly when many movies were made available to digital formats and when did WA take charge of such movies. I tried using CheapCharts to ascertain when movies showed up on iTunes, but is it accurate for services like Vudu and Amazon? Also, there are many Warner titles released by Warner Archive on DVD that are in HD on MA like "A Guy Named Joe".

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
This process still stinks to a certain extent as it's very confusing to those that know the system and even more so for those that are not familiar with this process. Case in point is "The Mask of Zorro". I preordered the 4K disc from Target during one of their "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales. After sampling the disc playing 4K/HDR with Dolby Atmos, I did some research before redeeming the digital code, I noticed the following:

Vudu: 4K/HDR without Atmos
iTunes: HD Only Upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision without Atmos
Vudu App on iTunes: 4K/Dolby Vision without Atmos
Movies Anywhere: 4K/HDR with 5.1DD

I redeemed the digital code on MoviesAnywhere and verified the above information by sampling the movie on each service and app. Again, iTunes currently doesn't have "The Mask of Zorro" in 4K, even though as of May 12th, it is currently on sale for $4.99 in HD. Will you get a free 4K upgrade on iTunes once they have it in 4K? Perhaps, but remember that "Stand By Me" another Sony 4K/UHD release is still only in HD on any service. However, the difference is that "Stand By Me" doesn't mention "Digital" on its box while "The Mask of Zorro" does have "Digital" on its box. The question is while paraphrasing Harry Callahan is do you feel lucky?:)

1589298253608.png

1589298288157.png

Reactions: Glenn C.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This process still stinks to a certain extent as it's very confusing to those that know the system and even more so for those that are not familiar with this process. Case in point is "The Mask of Zorro". I preordered the 4K disc from Target during one of their "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales. After sampling the disc playing 4K/HDR with Dolby Atmos, I did some research before redeeming the digital code, I noticed the following:

Vudu: 4K/HDR without Atmos
iTunes: HD Only
Vudu App on iTunes: 4K/Dolby Vision without Atmos
Movies Anywhere: 4K/HDR with 5.1DD

I redeemed the digital code on MoviesAnywhere and verified the above information by sampling the movie on each service and app. Again, iTunes currently doesn't have "The Mask of Zorro" in 4K, even though as of May 12th, it is currently on sale for $4.99 in HD. Will you get a free 4K upgrade on iTunes once they have it in 4K? Perhaps, but remember that "Stand By Me" another Sony 4K/UHD release is still only in HD on any service. However, the difference is that "Stand By Me" doesn't mention "Digital" on its box while "The Mask of Zorro" does have "Digital" on its box. The question is while paraphrasing Harry Callahan is do you feel lucky?:)

View attachment 72584

View attachment 72585
Stand by Me did not come with a digital code with it's 4K disc release, and is not Movies Anywhere eligible (possibly due to rights issues, as Sony picked up distribution of the movie after it was made).

Catalog titles like Mask of Zorro often take time to get upgraded to 4K by digital retailers, with some being more on the ball than others. I redeemed my code last week, and Vudu was only HD at that time. It looks like they upgraded within the last 24 hours. As of this morning, according to Vudu, I owned HDX even though UHD was available (for $13.99). Just a few minutes ago, Vudu upgraded my copy to 4K.

The big question is - where did you redeem your code? If you redeemed on Movies Anywhere, and Movies Anywhere shows it as a 4K redemption, theoretically, each retailer should upgrade you from HD to 4K as they upgrade that title themselves. If not, you can always ask Movies Anywhere to help get that corrected for you.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Stand by Me did not come with a digital code with it's 4K disc release, and is not Movies Anywhere eligible (possibly due to rights issues, as Sony picked up distribution of the movie after it was made).

Catalog titles like Mask of Zorro often take time to get upgraded to 4K by digital retailers, with some being more on the ball than others. I redeemed my code last week, and Vudu was only HD at that time. It looks like they upgraded within the last 24 hours. As of this morning, according to Vudu, I owned HDX even though UHD was available (for $13.99). Just a few minutes ago, Vudu upgraded my copy to 4K.

The big question is - where did you redeem your code? If you redeemed on Movies Anywhere, and Movies Anywhere shows it as a 4K redemption, theoretically, each retailer should upgrade you from HD to 4K as they upgrade that title themselves. If not, you can always ask Movies Anywhere to help get that corrected for you.
Sorry, @Robert Crawford! I just realized who I was responding to.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell