What's new

Amp(s) for a Yamaha A-1 (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Got the upgrade bug and thinking of adding an amp(s) to my A-1. My thought is to get a two or three channel or a couple of mono blocks for either mains or mains + center, then re-route the front effects into the main amps in the A-1. Any suggestions on a appropriate amp(s) to match the Yamaha? I'm assuming a Mark Levinson might be a mis match. By the way I'm running Polk RT55 fronts and RT7 dual centers, RTi15 as front effects.

Thanks!

Brad

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I did the same thing with my older DSP-A3090 – added an amp and routed the rear channels into the vacant front amps. I’m using an Adcom GFA-555II (250 watts/8-ohms). I couldn’t really tell a difference in sound quality – at least with my speakers. I expect any amp of similar or better quality will work fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DonnyD

Screenwriter
If you are gonna add an amp the Yamaha, at least double the wattage to realize any gain and then it will be only about 3db or so at a given volume.
BUT... I will add that given the extra headroom, it certainly may be worth it. I added an Acurus 200x3 to my RXV-1 to power my mains and center. I have some old JBL L100 mains and they just love the wattage..... I did note that it seemed my surrounds were a little more lively since the V-1 was no longer having to power 3 front speakers and was only having to power the 3 rears. But then again, that may well be just a way to tell myself the amp was worth the money!

If your speakers will handle the wattage go for it. BUT... remember my sig....:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Brad:

Here's my list for the A-1 (which I also own), and it consists of the usual suspects:

Rotel 1075 (best buy)
Rotel 1095
ATI 1505 or its new (and better) replacement the 1805, or the similar sounding OUTLAW 755
Sherbourn
Parasound 2205 or the 1205 or the Halo A52

Earthquake CineNova (big bucks)

I'm going with the 1075, because it is the most affordable and it sounds better (sweeter) and has more detail than the A1 internal amps.

JaimeB

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Brad,

I use 4 IRD monoblock amps (75-100W per, depending on who you read) and one Marantz MA6100 (125W) with my DSP-A1.

Has worked very well for me and plenty of spare headroom, as the "IRD Le Amps" are grossly overbuilt.

Use aftermarket power cords with the monoblocks and they are all plugged into a Bolder Cables Power Bar 8 outlet power strip. The Power Bar has 5 Bybee purifiers installed, and the last two outlets are for digital only. The DSP and my RPTV are plugged into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, which then goes into one digital outlet of the Power Bar. The Power Bar uses Acme cryo'd outlets.

This amp/AC setup combo sounds the finest it ever has.... and I tried numerous (understatement, for sure) combinations over the past four years.

I highly recommend going the monoblock route with the Yammie setup you have now.

Good Luck,

BOK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks