What's new

Amp for Tempest (1 Viewer)

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
How is everyone doing?

I was wondering what amp do you use for your tempest?
I currently have an adire alignment powered by an old dpl receiver. I WANT to get a new amp for the sub but do not want to hear the fan. Would the fan be noticable in something like the Mackie M800 or should I just wait until I can get a fanless amp like the Crown K1?

thanks
David

Ned

Supporting Actor
How bout one of the Parts Express plate amps? No fan and 250+ watts for only $130. Also gives you rumble filter, lowpass filter, phase, etc.

PeterV

Agent
Ron,
Thats a nice lookin plate amp box. Good idea!
Is it wood or metal? I built a similar one to
yours out of sheet metal. Especially like
your output terminal!!
PeterV

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Peter. I made it from scrap 3/4" MDF left over from my sonosub construction.
Peace Out~:D

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I have the mackie M1400 and I don't think the fan noise is too bad. It's about as loud as the old VCRs, maybe a touch louder. It also depends on the size of your room. I hardly noticed it at all in my old 17x35 ft room with vaulted ceiling, but in my new smaller room it's definitely easier to detect. The other suggestions listed here sound good too.

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
I would also recommend the PE plate amp (300-794). I mounted mine into my vented Adire Alignment cabinet but I think that many use this same amp to power sonotube subs and with those most people keep the amp external to the sub.

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.
Would it be possible to get two of the PE amps? One for each voice coil. Or do you think one amp is enough.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
David,
One option is to surf the classifieds of Audiogon.com or Audioreview.com. There's always some decent, fanless, hi-fi amps at good prices. I picked up an Adcom 555 that bridges to about 600W for under $400. You can find anything from $150 Carver cubes to $15K Krell Monoblocks...

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks