What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Next week should be VERY interesting. . .

Don't anybody try "We are the Champions". . .just ask J.D. Fortune. ;) (Whom I ADORE.)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My daughter thought Kenny Rogers looked like the fake toy Santa from The Santa Clause 2. Both looked plastic. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Actually, I think Freddie would have been totally into something like American Idol. He was all about performing, and so is Idol.

I can attest from many years of ill-advised karaoke that Crazy Little Thing Called Love is just about the easiest Queen song to sing. :D

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

Eh, I don't see anything that objectionable about her expressions. She does the fake niceties enough, like everyone else.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Prince is famous for being shy and refusing to interact directly with anyone outside of his inner circle, so I guess I'm not surprised that he declined to participate.

SNL does a recurring skit based on this, where he has a talk show, but only communicates by whispering in his assistant's ear and having her repeat his words out loud. :)

danak

Second Unit
Hi all, I'm back up after a computer meltdown so I'll just give general impressions on this week.

I agree with the consensus that it was another poor night. I thought Katharine was best of the night, which isn't saying much given the general suckiness. Paris sang fairly well, but it was a subdued performance given her usual energy levels. I thought she was dressed pretty nicely. She actually looked her age (and, strangely enough, she looked taller). Elliott sang well but looked like he would be executed if he eased his death grip on his microphone. Taylor was awful, it's like he just phoned it in. It was probably his worst performance on the show. The rest were so-so or good vocals but boring. It seemed like the band was too loud, drowning out some people.

I was somewhat surprised by Mandisa's ouster, but not entirely, for 2 reasons. One, given Katharine's unexpected appearance in the bottom 3 last week, fans of some contestants were energized to vote a lot. I'm sure this is what prevented Taylor from being in the bottom 3. Unfortunately, other contestants lost out, with Mandisa, Elliott, and Paris appearing in the bottom 3 this week. Second, though Mandisa was terrific in the semifinals, she has been more bad than good in the finals (two weeks in a row especially) and it finally caught up with her. I do wish Bucky had gone before her though. How does everyone interpret the long period of silence following Ryan's announcement that she was out? It appeared to me that everyone was stunned for several seconds, plus perhaps they weren't sure if they should clap because Elliott was safe (Taylor for certain looked confused as to what to do). People finally clapped for Mandisa, but it was a weird moment of silence.

At the moment, my remaining favorites are Katharine, Paris, and Taylor, with Elliott a few steps behind them.

I have this bad feeling that next week, with Queen songs, is going to make for another bad night

Dana

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Queen songs?! The show is doomed already.

How many really good Queen songs are there?

As Opie and Anthony put it today on XM radio..

Who is going to sing "Bicycle" (I want to ride
my bi-cycle)?
Perhaps one of the worst songs ever!

They also touted the fact that Fat Bottom Girls
would have been perfect for Mandisa.

Hey....not my joke! :)

RickGr

Second Unit
If the arrangements are done right I think the QUEEN night could be intersting.

I can already see Taylor singer CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE and Ace doing PLAY THE GAME. Kat or Chris could do their take of SPREAD YOUR WINGS and we have SOMEBODY TO LOVE, UNDER PRESSURE, KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Remember Constatine?), TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS and more. There are a number of good Queen songs, some of them ballads, which never got much radio play. It will be interesting to see if anyone reaches in to the obscure songs (but good ones) of the Queen library or they try to stick to the hits.

I think the factor may be the backing singers as Queen used a lot of harmonies and May's kick ass guitar so we shall see what happens.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Under Pressure is a great track, but it's a duet -- not appropriate for Idol.

This is gonna *really* weed out the singers from the poseurs. . .

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
The question isn't how MANY Queen songs are there, as we know there are many! It's how many of the idol contestants can sing them well?

I'm sort of sad to see next week be "queen" week, as I honestly don't think anyone is going to do those songs justice. here's hoping I am wrong!

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
It would take some balls to sing Another One Bites the Dust...you do NOT wanted to get voted out with that one...

ot

danak

Second Unit
I found it kind of strange that Paris didn't do her usual crying jag when Mandisa was voted out. In fact, no one seemed to be crying, just in shock for a short time.

According to Television Without Pity, Taylor had strep throat and a fever on Tuesday. If that's really true, that would certainly explain why it looked like he didn't want to be there. I certainly wouldn't want to be performing while so sick.

Dana

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Well it is a duet, but you could easily re-arrange that song to be solo.

You'd still need Freddie's range to really sing it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I have a feeling this is going to be huge problem this week. The only contestant that really brings a falsetto to the party is Ace, so this should be marginally easier for him. I don't look for Kellie or Bucky to have an easy week.

I was really shocked about Mandisa's exit when I first looked at the DI numbers. I was hoping that since she was in a statistical dead heat with Elliott that he would go, but now I am forced to figure out who I am going to throw my vote behind. I have a feeling that with the exit of both Lisa & Mandisa, Paris will most benefit.

In the newly published interview, I was happy to hear that Mandisa's lifestyle comment was not a dig at gays but rather her own battle with what she terms her 'food addiction'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks