What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just as a point of information, but Reba McEntire's "Fancy" is a remake. The song was composed by Bobbie Gentry (of "Ode to Billie Joe" fame) who had the original hit with it back in the 60s. Great song, BTW, and I agree that Kellie did not bring much to the party vocally. The song is deserving of much more than Kellie's flat-footed rendition...

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Kellie is over rated and her mediocre performances should catch up with her. Additionally they "confronted" the dumb blonde routine by... well doing a dumb blonde routine.

Taylor's performance was bad, but he is usually very fun to watch and would like to see him do more of something that is more soulful.

He should have gone down the road that Katherine did - do a rootys bluesy country song - which she did well - not hitting it out of the park, but solid and fun, albeit, an unusal chorus.

Most of the performances were ok, but boring really.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another awful week -- two in a row.

I think the biggest problem was the Country
Music theme. Let's face it -- Country has to
be one of the least appreciated genres of music.

I was bored! For the first time ever, I used
the "FF" button on my Tivo just to get through
some of the performances.

Who was the worst? Hard to say, but I was very
concerned about my boy Taylor who phoned
in last night's performance.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Not by a long shot -- Country is HUGELY popular all over the US. It's just that there are a lot of major metropolitan areas that factor heavily in the media where it isn't so big, and it also isn't so big outside the US (unlike a great, multi-nationally flavored website like the HTF!).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hopefully they haven't changed the theme for next week. The one they had planned would make up for this week's debacle! (Hopefully. . .)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I found the theme for next week still on the website at 6:30pm tonight (Wed). If you click on the link on Idolonfox.com entitled "Idol News" it takes you here.

And if it turns out to be true, I've started posting song choice suggestions in this thread in the Music Forum.

At least it would force some people to REALLY stretch out of their "comfort zones".

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That's the same news story that was on their homepage yesterday. Their website is so confusingly set up it's hard to find the info you want. Thanks for the update! :emoji_thumbsup:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Kenny Rogers looked like a freaking woman. It was TERRIFYING. Good lord, this is a guy who used to have this super manly exterior, now he looks like.. I have no idea.. it still gives me the creeps!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe dialidol was bang-on with getting the bottom 3 in the right order. What's more disturbing is how big a lead Taylor has over most of the remaining contestants. I hope Taylor flames out because I think he going to tank next week as well trying to do a Queen song.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I was glad to see Mandisa go. IMHO, she was the worst of the performers this week.

I hope Taylor keeps getting the votes. I really like him. My other favorite is Katherine.

Of who is left, this is my personal ranking:

1. Katherine
2. Taylor
3. Kellie
4. Chris

Big gap then,

5. Elliot
6. Ace

Another big gap then,

7. Paris
8. Bucky

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I didn't think Taylor's performance this week was all that hot either (My ranking above is overall, not just this week). I would have put him middle of the pack this week. But I don't like country at all, so it was a tough week for me.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
[spock]
Fascinating.
[/spock]

And now, the soapbox.

It's not enough that Ford and Coca-Cola are corporate schills for the show, but does the program have to become the musical equivalent of "The Love Boat"?

Stevie Wonder had a new album last fall, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

Last week, Barry Manilow has new album, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

This week, Kenny Rogers has new album out, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

Next week, Queen has a new (old) album out, and is the featured theme for the show.

How many more times must we hear "Bad Day" when a contestant is booted off?

Sean*O

Second Unit
LOL, I guess dialidol is pretty accurate. Taylor is cool, but he really doesn't deserve to be THAT far out in front. I mean, if he can give his worst performance of the season and still get the most votes...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hell, Prince was on SNL recently. It's all about cross-marketing these days. I can't really see any of the contestant doing all that great with either Queen or Prince songs.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If Prince is on, it'll be the most anticipated AI for me yet. Sadly Mandiva won't be there to participate. :frowning: I didn't know Prince had a new CD out, so I'll have to track that down. Nice Love Boat reference.

Mandisa is gone. Where's the crocodile tear emoticon?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That is awesome news about Prince. I hope it is true. He is the one artist that I would love to see on AI.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Somehow my question got posted in the Sopranos thread. I was wondering why I didn't see it here.

Anyway, to ask again; Are there people out there that actually find Ryan and Simon's little quarrels entertaining? They either need to come out of the closet and admit their true feelings for each other or learn to work together when the cameras are rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks