What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Aaron,

Don't blame Ron. His brain is fried from listening to Opie and Anthony.

:laugh: :laugh:

And just when did Kenny Rogers start looking like Luke Spencer from GH?

:D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

danak

Second Unit
I'm hearing that next week will actually be Rock, not specifically Queen (but the contestants did meet with the band), though it sounds like the contestants will do a Queen medley on Wed

Dana

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I hope that is the case.

Listen, perhaps I should have phrased my comments
a little differently.

Queen was an amazing band. I love their music.
They have dozens of great songs. The problem is
that the songs don't translate well for American
Idol fare. There are only a very small handful
of songs that I think can be tackled well.

If it's a rock theme next week - Bravo! If it's
limited to Queen, it's not going to be a very
good show.

...and Raf, my brain was fried long before Opie
and Anthony! :)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
It's Queen songs, but no real Queen on Wednesday and an hour long results show :frowning:

TOP 8 PERFORM TUESDAY 8/7c

Only eight finalists remain in the competition. Who’s got what it takes to move forward and who’s going to crumble under the pressure?

Tuesday, we turn to the iconic music of QUEEN. Don’t miss a note of what will surely be a legendary night, Tuesday 8/7c. Then come back for the *1-hour results show, at a special time, Wednesday 8:30/7:30c, which will also feature the Top 8 performing a song by QUEEN.

http://www.americanidol.com/

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Not for me! I always record and watch. Skips through the guest stars, skips through the pathetic sing-a-longs, skips through the irritating Ford commercials. The results show only lasts 7 minutes in my house.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Absolutely, Hanson! Things like the AI "Results" show is one of the most important reasons for the existence of DVRs (ala "TiVo" et. al.) It's exceedingly lame (and quite condescending) the way that these shows toy with the audience with the, "After the Break" comments. A show with so little substance is another reason why network television in such trouble.

BTW, I also find that the "Zip-Zip" method works very effectively when watching Deal or No Deal. An hour long show that really contains only about 5 minutes of substance can actually become tolerable to an extent. After all, the whole idea of picking 1 number out of 26 doesn't exactly have a lot of "legs" although the models do - which is why DVRs have reverse and pause buttons, too.

:laugh: :laugh:

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I mentioned in the music thread, that is there any doubt that Bucky won’t do “Crazy little thing called love?” Though he and Kellie are probably fighting over that one. This is a great week for Chris, since Queen has so many all out rockers, but Queen has many difficult quirky songs that will be interesting. Talk about song selection being critical. I thought Taylor might be good for “Another bites the dust” but I don’t know – It might be the perfect one for Paris to do her sassy/funky thing. Taylore might be bettered suited for “We will rock you.”Elliot needs to do something like “Somebody to Love’ and finally show what he can do. I bet that “Under Pressure” could be arranged for one singer, but who could pull it off? I’m thinking that Ace will do “you’re my best friend” since he probably won’t be allowed to do Mercury’s solo version of the “Great Pretender…”

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

It is, but FOX has been irritating me with the 9pm broadcast when it should be at 8 (isn't it a family show?)

Since I set the dvr for LOST and AI is not going to change that for me. I have actually video taped the past couple results show and watched it later old school.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see someone try and tackle 'Killer Queen.'

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that (or just about any other Queen song, really) might show that the backing singers are better vocal talents than the contestants. I've noticed several instances where contestants have failed to harmonize properly with the backing singers.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Let's face it, Queen songs are going to suck without the brilliance of Freddie Mercury to pull it off. I'm betting on another total train wreck of a show for the third straight week....yawn.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Whether or not an episode of "Deal Or No Deal" is watchable is 100% dependent on whether the contestant's family and friends are funny. Case in point: This past Monday, when the first hour was absolutely hysterical and the second hour was a complete snoozefest.

The game itself just ain't that interesting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Most likely, yes, but it will have the added benefit of making me feel better about all the pain I've inflicted on Freddie's memory in karaoke bars over the years. ;)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

The 2005/2006 Queen tour features Paul Rodgers filling the Freddie singing spot. Paul Rodgers in an interview said he was "interpreting Queen's hits, not doing karaoke". So at least one singer was able to take the lead spot, can any of the idols next week?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

Of course they can't compare. If you expect to be anything like the real thing, just don't watch, because even a good performance will fall, way way short.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I don't get this kind of thinking. I've read it several times this past week.

Queen's music is in no way limiting. They covered such a wide variety of genres, there should be something for everyone.

Anyhoo, the thing I will be most curious about is what kind of effect the Queen nights will have on the upcoming "Stone Cold Classics" CD due on the 11th.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Is there any concrete info as to whether Brian and Roger will appear on this week's show? The last two shows of the North American leg are on Tuesday and Thursday (one being Portland OR) so it's conceivable that they could appear on Wednesday's show.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

It's simple and a great tribute to the band itself...

You can't really do justice to a Queen song.
Queen was a band that sounded like no other.
Their sound was simply brilliant -- often a
combination of vocals that came across as
operatic.

It's just a rather odd choice for AI. It
almost makes me think that it was only done
because Brian and Roger may have been one of
the few who agreed to get themselves involved.

I'll say this....

It's going to be a real challenge on Tuesday
to do justice to these songs. Those who do
an admirable job should be applauded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks