1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

American Idol - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi
  2. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

I absolutely hated her performance. It was awful.

Anyway Eric? I believe AI's site said Queen WILL be performing on the Wednesday show.

3. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

From a post here last week:

From American Idol Web Site

Tuesday, we turn to the iconic music of QUEEN. Don’t miss a note of what will surely be a legendary night, Tuesday 8/7c. Then come back for the *1-hour results show, at a special time, Wednesday 8:30/7:30c, which will also feature the Top 8 performing a song by QUEEN.

http://www.americanidol.com/

4. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris

I can respect your opinion but also disagree with it!! Suzie did the best job possible with one of the most difficult songs ever!! C'mon! With that whole gospel choir...sorry but she kicked ass as best as anyone one could IMHO!

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

That's the info that is on the AI website as of Sunday evening...

6. danak

danak Second Unit

It's been reported in various places that Simon said someone will be doing Bohemian Rhapsody (though he said he didn't know who at the time). One rumor has Kellie doing it and another rumor has Paris doing it. BR is such a weird, over the top song anyway, Kellie would look ridiculous but Paris might be able to pull it off (though if either treated it as the camp it is, it might work).

I reported earlier that the night might really be rock, not specifically Queen, but I guess it will be Queen after all. It will either be a train wreck of epic proportions or brilliant for several of the more talented performers. I'm actually finding I can't wait. I bet the ratings will be huge in anticipation of a train wreck.

There is a report going around that on last Wed's results show, some teenage girls shouted a racial slur (something like "Go Home, N*") at Mandisa just after Ryan announced she was eliminated. The report is only from one source so I would take it with a large grain of salt (wouldn't the news media be all over it long before now?) but there was definitely some weirdness at that particular moment where people seemed to look shocked at something (and Randy looked kind of angry) and there was near silence for far longer than you would expect. Of course, perhaps it was simply that people were just shocked at Mandisa's ouster or weren't sure if Ryan announced that Mandisa or Elliott was going home.

Dana

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Actually, several years back I saw a Queen tribute band called Killer Queen that was surprisingly good.

Not that I expect Idol contestants to pull it off, though. [​IMG]

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    The moment I heard it was "Queen" night, my first thought was whether any of these contestants would have the stones to try and pull off Bohemian Rhapsody. Guess one of them really is going to try run the gauntlet on that one...

There's such a variety of songs it should be an interesting night. A few months ago I saw a Queen-based show by what I think is a South African troupe that was here for several weeks. Quite good, and rather surprising too -- one always thinks that Mercury's voice is irreplaceable, which it is, but there are others who can do a pretty decent job in singing Queen songs as well.

9. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

David Williams
    The prevailing internet rumor du jour making the rounds is that Mandisa's perceived homophobia cost her votes and thus got her the boot. She even mentioned that this theory has some merit in the exit interview she gave to The Advocate:

"It's possible. Honestly, I'm not sure. I've heard a lot of different theories about what could have happened, and all of 'em sound pretty decent to me. So I just know I did my best and I tried to live my life in public the way I do in my personal life. You know, it was just my time and it could have contributed."

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    What perceived homophobia?

Anyway, ironically I heard Radio Ga Ga being played over a PA system at some marketing thingy at lunchtime. I had never thought of it that way, but the verse portions of Radio Ga Ga are pretty much a crooner's song -- most times one thinks of the iconic "arms raised and clapping" chorus part. Elliot might do well with it.

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I clicked on that story from Yahoo news, but when I saw the included picture of her. I couldn't even focus to read the article.

[​IMG]

There is just something deeply bizarre about her...

12. Daniel DeLawter

Daniel DeLawter Stunt Coordinator

Google Image Search : Fertility Goddess

13. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I was also one who HATED Suzie's version of Bohemian Rhapsody. It was like scratching nails on a chalkboard. I'm sorry for those who like her, but she was awful. JD's We are the champions was just as bad!

Anyway, back to AI..... I feel bad for the idol contenstants having to do Queen songs...none of them will pull it off. Like someone said earlier.... Queen is just one of those bands nobody can sing and do it well!

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

It's that Outer Limits-TV Static top. It makes her unusual body shape look like a portal to another dimension or something.

Constantine sang Bohemian Rhapsody last year, didn't he? For the life of me, I can't remember if it was any good.

15. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I heard that Queen will actually be the "backing band" for the performances on Tuesday. Now, someone's earlier post about concert dates this week might complicate the truth of this, but it will be greta if it is true.

Edit: I did just look at Ticketmaster and they are in fact performing Tuesday night, but it is in Portland. The show is scheduled for 8pm. With Idol airing at 8pm EDT (5 Pacific), it is conceivable that they could do Idol and then zip up to Portland afterwards for their concert.

16. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

David Williams

From The Advocate exclusive interview:

There's been controversy about your comments on the Idol Web site and your appreciation for anti-gay writer and lecturer Beth Moore. Some took it as an endorsement of the "ex-gay" movement. What do you say to people who were turned off by that?

"I just heard about that a couple of days ago. It broke my heart. I live my life by the value system that you treat others the way you want to be treated. I let love be my guide. I absolutely hate no one. When I heard that I was really upset."

Before you sang the Mary, Mary gospel song “Wanna Praise You,” you mentioned that people's various addictions and lifestyles are not as strong as God. Were you speaking of gay people?

"No, no. That song was a very personal testimony for me. I've been dealing with an addiction to food for most of my life. I've been living in a lifestyle of pure indulgence, giving in to every single desire that I've had as far as what I've put into my body."

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Thanks for the info David. I was wondering if the perception had arisen due to any of her comments made on the show, which AFAIR didn't go anywhere near saying anything about gays.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I was thinking more in line with fun-house mirrors.

19. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

FWIW, George Michael pulled it off very well at the tribute concert. Gary Cherone from Extreme was good too.
    Everyone else....... hmmm....

20. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

USA Today has an article posted with a list of all songs being performed tonight and by whom. Some interesting choices in there to say the least. This also confirms one rumor from an earlier post (I'll not say in case people want to be surprised).

Here is the link to the article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...en-songs_x.htm