What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm going to my first Screen Unseen tonight at AMC. My AMC has three screens playing the same movie, apparently, all at 7 pm. One is just about full, my screen is roughly half full and the third (which was recently added) has nine seats taken. Run time for the movie is 2 hours 18 minutes. We'll see what it is tonight.

I tried to get my husband to go with me...but not knowing what movie it is turned into a deal breaker for him.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My A-List pick today was "Land of Bad". This is a generic military action film. Lots of drones, rockets, machine guns, and a US elite squad battling militants. On that level, it satisfied my need to scratch an action itch.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It has never made sense to me to put an ad for AMC in front of movies at AMC because you're already there when you see the ad. The ad itself isn't bad, but it is just a waste of time. Cinemark does the same thing promoting their premium format, Cinemark XD, often in the XD auditorium itself. They should be focusing advertisements on reaching potential customers who aren't there rather than running ads for people who are already showing up. This isn't a criticism of the ads, but more about how they are used.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It has never made sense to me to put an ad for AMC in front of movies at AMC because you're already there when you see the ad. The ad itself isn't bad, but it is just a waste of time. Cinemark does the same thing promoting their premium format, Cinemark XD, often in the XD auditorium itself. They should be focusing advertisements on reaching potential customers who aren't there rather than running ads for people who are already showing up. This isn't a criticism of the ads, but more about how they are used.

Dolby Cinema tells us how great Dolby Cinema is when we're in the DC auditorium.

IMAX touts IMAX when we're in the IMAX auditorium.

All chains have those "hey, you're at Regal/AMC/whoever!" bumpers and they have for years.

I agree they seem pointless, but there must be some added "brand impact" they have or they wouldn't do them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The worst part of my AMC experience
IMG_0845.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yesterday I saw One Life starring Anthony Hopkins, which for me was an A-. Today I saw Love Lies Bleeding, which is a sordid, gritty, and at times surreal lesbian neo-noir. Also quite good from my pov, it also earns an A-.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yesterday I saw One Life starring Anthony Hopkins, which for me was an A-. Today I saw Love Lies Bleeding, which is a sordid, gritty, and at times surreal lesbian neo-noir. Also quite god from my pov, it also earns an A-.

I actually saw those back-to-back before finishing the day w/ Dune 2 at the Lincoln Square IMAX last Monday... making full use of my A-List membership for the week, heh -- yes, I did make it outside just long enough to squeeze in a quick sushi dinner nearby w/ some (non-A-List) friends who were also seeing Dune 2 w/ me. :lol:

Liked them both. I guess I'd give both 3-1/2 stars (out of 4).

_Man_

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
From my pov this was an above average horror movie, bc unlike in some there's an explanation for what takes place. My rating: B+

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^So that's what replaced Civil War at my nearest couple IMAXes?

I hadn't really paid attention. Maybe I'll go see it today instead of First Omen (as the 1st film for my occasional 3-film marathon for this week... followed by La Chimera and Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare :D:cool:)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wonder... do they normally still play the usual amount of trailers, etc before such IMAX docs or far less, if any at all?

I'm guessing a tad less, but still quite some (maybe 15-20min) based on the schedule at my nearest 2 IMAXes.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just finished seeing it... and well, a tad underwhelming.

The PQ wasn't great... at least at the IMAX I visited near Times Square -- plenty of very noticeable pixel structure and aliasing in the image from my immersive 5th row seat -- and yeah, not really that many actual images from Webb although those exhibited no aliasing.

Glad to have seen this, but once is enough me thinks, heh...

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Completely unrelated to any movies out right now, but 100% about AMC and whether or not we keep our A-List subs.

We're moving from Orlando to the Charlotte, NC area pretty soon. Online reviews of the Charlotte Pavillion 22 aren't the best (they also don't have a Dolby Theater from what I can tell). Northlake 14 has better reviews and a Dolby Theater, though it's on the other side of the city from where we're going to live. Same for Concord Mills 24; that leaves Terrace 6, which also doesn't appear to have a Dolby Theater.

Any insight from you fine folks about AMC's in the Charlotte, NC area? I trust your opinions on these things more than the random Redditor or Google review.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Completely unrelated to any movies out right now, but 100% about AMC and whether or not we keep our A-List subs.

We're moving from Orlando to the Charlotte, NC area pretty soon. Online reviews of the Charlotte Pavillion 22 aren't the best (they also don't have a Dolby Theater from what I can tell). Northlake 14 has better reviews and a Dolby Theater, though it's on the other side of the city from where we're going to live. Same for Concord Mills 24; that leaves Terrace 6, which also doesn't appear to have a Dolby Theater.

Any insight from you fine folks about AMC's in the Charlotte, NC area? I trust your opinions on these things more than the random Redditor or Google review.
I live in PA so I can't speak to those theaters but my suggestion would be to keep A-List for the first month after you move and test all the AMCs in the area out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On Monday night, saw my first Screen Unseen movie at my nearest AMC via A-List, and it was advertised as being an R-rated movie, and it ended up being "Boy Kills World" which was very odd, and very violent. I was thinking of seeing it this Thursday, so that viewing clears away my Thursday evening. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks