What's new

Amazon to buy MGM! See Post #11 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hmmm

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Whoever buys it is going to take on its debt, and that's why it's been passed around like a hot potato over the years.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only MGM property which might be able to convince me to subscribe to amazon prime, is if they do a revival or reboot of Stargate SG-1.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If Amazon buys MGM, there goes my dreams of a 4k box set of James Bond discs.

("James Bond in 4k! Exclusively on Amazon Prime!")

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apple values MGM less than Amazon:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
What happened to MGM? I had many good quality MGM laserdiscs, many DVDs of questionable quality and some of good quality and just a handfull of carefully researched Blu-rays (once bitten, twice shy). From what we've seen with Warner Archive there is not a huge market for old movies, in fact, Warner Archive would be the best home for future MGM releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't immediately have an opinion on Amazon owning MGM. It was pretty inevitable that one of the streaming companies would look to purchase them.

Now that it is a done deal, NO TIME TO DIE should see the light of day.

I am wondering if it will still be released theatrically or Amazon will charge a premium for its viewing on their service.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I know so little about Jeff Bezos that I can't tell whether this is a shrewd business decision or a vanity purchase?

It will be interesting to see if MGM 4K UHD titles become available for streaming, has Bezos purchased a suitable production house for such a vast film library?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I am wondering if it will still be released theatrically or Amazon will charge a premium for its viewing on their service.

From what I understand, Eon Productions would have to approve of a move like that. As of now, it's set for an October worldwide theatrical release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It will be interesting to see if they actually run this as a movie studio, producing new films for theatrical release then to Amazon streaming, or if they're just interested in the catalog and as a possible feeder for Amazon originals.

I imagine this won't affect the release of the new Bond film, as all of those agreements for distribution and release were signed more than a year ago.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It will be interesting to see if MGM 4K UHD titles become available for streaming, has Bezos purchased a suitable production house for such a vast film library?
Lol MGM's film library is a fraction of what it was prior to 1986.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't immediately have an opinion on Amazon owning MGM. It was pretty inevitable that one of the streaming companies would look to purchase them.

I don't think Amazon has ever had a title that was a streaming exclusive - they've always released their films theatrically.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Just Announced That Amazon bought MGM - Wonder if that will have any affect on Kino-Lorber and Scorpion Releasing's The MGM owned The American International Pictures Library titles! (and any United Artists Titles!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks